esf in unreal

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Isn't there going to be a game based on dbz for unreal tournament 2003? I hope there is, because in half-life you can't show high resolution. half-life isn't the perfect mod for a game that deserves better graphics!!

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have not heard of any such thing. But I don't hear much.

But by all means, I suggest making your own mod for UT2k3.

I'll stick to my HL mod's since my comp sucks too much to play anything else.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I am not trying to say that esf in half-life isn't cool but think about over a year or 2, are people going to like the same graphics like 2 years before??!! It would be nice if they create a new engine.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From what I hear the majority of the code that is used in ESF is about 75% all Harsens.

Best answers
Halflife:

- uses C++ (the standard complang. that everybody can easily learn)

unreal engine games: (ut2k3 and the other titles)

- uses UC++ (especially for unreal engine games made complang. that is harder to learn, but has more things than hl engine)

because sum ppl already know c++, it is easier for them to make a mod. but uc++ is special where u have to learn it and there is nooo school for it. + they all have to search about a tutorial...

ohh and halflife mods are supported by valve.

Best answers
Originally posted by Master-Dorn
Halflife:

- uses C++ (the standard complang. that everybody can easily learn)

unreal engine games: (ut2k3 and the other titles)

- uses UC++ (especially for unreal engine games made complang. that is harder to learn, but has more things than hl engine)

because sum ppl already know c++, it is easier for them to make a mod. but uc++ is special where u have to learn it and there is nooo school for it. + they all have to search about a tutorial...

ohh and halflife mods are supported by valve.
uhhh....

1.C++ isnt easy to learn
2.its unreal script, not uc++
3.and unreal script is c++ with a different syntax, so its not that hard to learn.
4.and half life mods are NOT supported by valve

DragonBall U, or something is Unreal Tournament 2003, although i doubt they will get far.
why do you say that? because they are on a new engine?

thats just ridiculous noob talk

Best answers
Originally posted by sonic834
uhhh....

1.C++ isnt easy to learn
2.its unreal script, not uc++
3.and unreal script is c++ with a different syntax, so its not that hard to learn.
4.and half life mods are NOT supported by valve

why do you say that? because they are on a new engine?

thats just ridiculous noob talk
and what about steam????
thats sumthing weird....

if unreal script is c++ with a differ syntax, then it must be hard to learn if c++ is hard to learn.

but i learn c++ at the moment and it isnt that hard

Best answers
have you ever worked for a mod? didnt think so

dont talk in the field where you have no knowledge. and you learn unreal script after you learn c++, so it wouldnt be hard.

and c++ is hard, you must not be far. if you were far, you would produce something useful, other than senseless ramblings

good day

Best answers
Originally posted by sonic834
have you ever worked for a mod? didnt think so

dont talk in the field where you have no knowledge. and you learn unreal script after you learn c++, so it wouldnt be hard.

and c++ is hard, you must not be far. if you were far, you would produce something useful, other than senseless ramblings

good day
the factor is: the guy.

if the guy finds it easily to make things like:
#strict

Initialize:
SetComponent(S001,1);
ObjectCall(CreateObject(RU3V,0,0,GetOwner(this())),"Initialize",this());
SetLocal(0,Par(0));
SetComponent(BUSY,1);
SetAction("Walk");
SetDir(Random(2));
CreateContents(G33V,this());
CreateContents(G13V,this());
return(1);

FightProcess:
if(Not(Random(2))) return(0);
if(Random(4)) return(SetAction("Punch"));
SetAction("Punch2");
return(1);
Punch:
if (Not(Random(3))) Sound("KnifeHit*");
if (Not(Random(2))) return(1);
Punch(GetActionTarget(),4);
return(1);
Incineration:
ObjectSetAction(CreateObject(DT3V),"Burning",this());
return(1);
etc.

it is easy.

this is a script for a security bot of a game called "clonk" where u can make cool mods and games out of it. www.clonk.de

plus: there are dbz mods out there hehe and with the new gwe engine of it more gfx are implented, like in the pics on this site:

http://www.dukeaufdune.de/Mechs.htm

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pitty about some (not many but some) ut2k3 mods are being made from hl newbies, so they make the ut2k3 look like hl by haveing simple maps and bad models, when they dont really know how good ut2k3 mods can be, e.g. DBU (look at there vegeta model.. >_>)

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Master-Dorn
but i learn c++ at the moment and it isnt that hard
Because you are not learning how to use it for what it's meant to be used for. Doing little dinky progrmas that do remedial tasks isn't meant for c++.

I am a computer science major and am learning java (not by choice) and any programming language is relatively difficult to learn once you get past the basics

Best answers
Originally posted by Evil_Trunks
Because you are not learning how to use it for what it's meant to be used for. Doing little dinky progrmas that do remedial tasks isn't meant for c++.

I am a computer science major and am learning java (not by choice) and any programming language is relatively difficult to learn once you get past the basics
theres the difference:

You Have To Learn It To Get Work: thats the hard way. u have to learn it no matter if u dont like to.

you want to learn it: you can choose when u want to do something with it, or if u make this day pause...

i can learn something when i am learning it by myself.

Best answers
Originally posted by Evil_Trunks
Heh, i agree on that one. The snippet you showed is
1. Not C++
2. Doesn't show the potential of C++ (or any other OO) in the field of inheritance, object orientation, or memory managment. You might as wel use C to do that kind of stuf :p

Hm... not really. Once you know one OO-language, you know all of them. Ofcourse it's different when you learn some other type of language (logical, or functional). But the hard part of programming isn't dealing with your language, but coming up with decent algortithms to get your stuff done. You should know that as a computer science major :p

As for unreal, if they really use scripts, this means your codes get intepreted, wich means it will run slower than directly compiled code....

Best answers
**high fives harsens**

thats what i meant :p

and master dorn, that script you posted, is pretty much C++, just diff form. its pointless to make a script system, when you could have just released the souce code. programmers know c++, not unreal script, so why make them learn a new one when the old one is more efficient?

its so stupid >_<

Best answers
well this should be in off topic since it doesnt have anything to do with esf, another thing, you stated half life isnt a good mod for esf, half life isnt a mod for esf. ESF is a mod for half life. get it right. and half life is much more popular than unreal tournament, and unreal tournament 2003 sucks except the graphics, other than the graphics it sucks

*they made you a mod?
damn i must have missed that ;/ *
...wait...you aren´t a mod, you just behave like one :\
:notice: http://www.esforces.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7301
Firefly

Best answers
and snoic and dorn dont argue, if i may borrow a quote from one of my cs buddies, "Arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics, whether you win or lose your still retarded"

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OH thats bad.. dubble posting and a flame.. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Anyway this is now closed.

Best answers
Close it? But i liked the discussion :(
Moving it to coding (Sorry Hsu). Please keep it mature people...

As for the script vs C++ thing, the script has as advantage that it should be easier to learn, and that you don't have to compile (but then again, that means less coffee-breaks...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom