ESF, breakables and maps...oh my!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been making a map with a few panes of breakable glass to throw players through, however breakables don't seem to be affected by some things in the game.

Whenever you throw (or by chance, melee) an opponent into another opponent, they both get knocked back and take damage. However if you throw or melee an opponent into a pane of breakable glass (1 unit thick, 1 health) it doesn't shatter, the player just gets stuck on it.

Similarly, laser attacks don't break breakable brushes such as glass (the finger-laser's secondary fire does due to the small explosions it creates), nor do discs (which also don't seem to damage env_models).

It might also be nice if swooping does 1dmg to non-player entities or brushes, so it would be possible to swoop through breakable rocks or glass windows.

Best answers
The map sounds sweet. The swooping doing damage to environments is good as long as it doesnt hurt players. I hope the map wont lag because of it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the idea of swooping damaging env_models except for player, would be very cool!

Oh and yeah you're right I also tried that in one of my maps with breakables, guess the team never thought of that ^^

But why do you make a 1 unit thick glass? isn't that a little thin?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find that the smaller the breakable, the less it lags. A few panes of glass in ESF won't affect things too much, a small FPS and ping rise when it breaks, and the map like normal once it's been broken.

I shattered a pane of glass the size of Kame House with a genball and only lost a bit of FPS. Smashing 5 panes in a row with a fully charged telekinesis was a much bigger drop.

donnierisk said:
But why do you make a 1 unit thick glass? isn't that a little thin?
I guess, but in ESF a players body is roughly 8-10 units thick. In real world scale that's about right.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i like the idea. But you dont realy take damage if someone is thrown into you. You only get a blowback. If you hit a wall/flor during the blowback you get hurt ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom