ESF 10-Year Public Release Anniversary

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
While it is rather early for me to post anything related to the 10 years since ESF first went public (which according to an archived version of the old website, July 15th, 2001). That was about a month before I officially played it myself.

I'll tell a bit of my history with Earth's Special Forces before I became a forum member. Nearly 10 years ago as well, I used to look for Half-Life mods to play on Planet Half-Life (which I used to go to as well years ago). One of the websites hosted on Planet Half-Life where I downloaded some mods was Escapemod (or Espacemod, I forgot which). Few of ya might remember that was the website that was in French and English sometimes.

One day around August 2001 while I was searching a mod either before my 8th Grade year of Junior High started or after, an interesting mod showed up on the list called "Earth's Special Forces". I might've even seen the screenshot before entering the website. I don't remember what version I played first exactly, but it already had some releases by the time I first downloaded it. Version wise, it might've been Alpha 1.3 or 1.4. Anyhow, it was fun being able to play as a DBZ character in a Half-Life mod. :p

I remember the only bars at that time were Health and KI (no Powerlevel yet). Heck, I even remember some of the characters had a list of transformations that never appeared in the current version (non-script that is). Then of course, some of the characters used to be missing models as they were early versions of the mod. Another thing I remember was something about the Cell cheat, which I never did find myself. Graphics in those versions were primitive, which is good indicator of how much this mod has improved over the years.

Just over a period of a few months of course, we got some alphas that eventually led up to one of the greatest alphas in Earth's Special Forces known as Alpha 2.0. I remember playing that version a lot just before Beta 1.0 (formerly called Alpha 3.0 at one time if my memory serves me right) which came out a year later. I might tell more of my history with Earth's Special Forces at a later time.

This is a salute to the staff of Earth's Special Forces on keeping the mod alive and continue to upgrade it towards or even beyond the limits of Half-Life. I'm even impressed with the screenshots and videos right now that the mod really did go from something that was primitive graphically to possessing incredible graphics capacity. I can't wait till the official ESF 1.3 comes out. That is all I have to say and once again, I salute ya. :D

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Hear Hear.

It takes some serious guts to stick to something and take it to other-worldly level of amazing. My Salute to the Devs for that.

Esf 1.2.3 was the first release i played, and back then i had 56k modem internet, so all i was able to do was get killed by Ultimate Bots. But even with just the bots i played the patooti out of it.

I look forward to having amazing play sessions with Esf: Final, and hopefully, in due time, i will be able to kick each of the devs butt. :devgrin:

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Me and six friends play here in Brazil since 2004, are hoping the final version and I'm sure is being done with great love and affection. Thanks all the team, do not wait to play with and the final release, rent a server for the Brazilians and๏ปฟ all the American play.๏ปฟ :yes:

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Some may have seen a recent link to the SSJ Script 6.0 for Alpha 2.0 I opened up. Well, I've now put it on Dropbox (recently opened an account there) in hopes of keeping it alive longer. Plus, even if placed on ESF-World or another website, I might maintain the link for a longer period of time to preserve it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24250760/ESF/SSJ6.0.exe

In the near future, I may also upload ESF Alpha 1.5 to add another working link (though I know I posted the link from the Wayback Machine). I'll discuss more in a future post.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't think anyone called it Alpha 3.0... But man I remember when 1.0 came out and there was that radio thing and the guy kept saying ESF forces.. it was kind of annoying.. or maybe that was 1.2 but either way it stuck out...

The whole fact that ESF has lasted as long as it has I would say is also based upon the player base. If I recall, the teams composition has changed dramatically since the founding of ESF, and even through out the big updates the team loses members and gains other players that wish to make a difference. Even those players that host servers and "teach" people how to play. Congrats to those who have come and gone...

but man 10 years.. I wish someone would just make it so that the 2.0 maps would be playable haha, i mean besides from ape's map set. I want some Peppercity.. heck ill still spam that area where the beans come up from, yea eat a big bang or a final flash XD

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey man, thanks for letting me join ape.

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Man, this thread makes me feel old ... 10 years!

but man 10 years.. I wish someone would just make it so that the 2.0 maps would be playable haha, i mean besides from ape's map set. I want some Peppercity.. heck ill still spam that area where the beans come up from, yea eat a big bang or a final flash XD
haha, now that would be funny indeed

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
omg.. me too..
Ouch.. my back.. T_T

Project Manager
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish someone would just make it so that the 2.0 maps would be playable haha, i mean besides from ape's map set. I want some Peppercity.. heck ill still spam that area where the beans come up from, yea eat a big bang or a final flash XD
Why don't u learn how to do it and do it yourself for the sake of the community ;-) rebuilding those old maps shouldn't be too much of a challenge. If you will properly rebuild one I'll make sure it gets included ;-)

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well nsw if you are up for it. Feel free to ask us what youd need to do in order for us to throw the baby ingame XD

Red Saiyan Mod
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Celebrating 10 years of greatness! Check out my ESF Fansite.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Lurked for a long time before I posted, and I've made some great freinds over the years. I think my first official post was in Nov of 2001. Thanks for the good memories.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Celebrating 10 years of greatness! Check out my ESF Fansite.
Congratulations, well-organized.
I intend to open a site when the final version and leave open the server here in Brazil, I know nothing about creating websites, but I get by with a friend = D

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
10 years of [beamspam] Prozac.
good times.

Remember how awesome the big bang attack was in the alphas?

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You can never have too many elbows.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
good times.

I remember playing with SS Vegeta and a few others one night and we had a big bang farm that was absolutley retarded in scope. Good times indeed. When it exploded, all players on the server died. Hard.

G-Bear
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
good times.

You mean how incredibly overpowered it was?

Man, this takes me back 9 years when I played ESF with my brother......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom