ESF 1.3 Multi Core Support

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
First of all I'm not even sure HL Engine supports dual core but will ESF Team touch some parts of the engine and make it support dual core , triple or quad maybe if possible?

I have read ESF 1.3 will require substantial more resources than previous versions so doing this move would make sense really, however I'm not sure if it is possible?

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
First of all I'm not even sure HL Engine supports dual core but will ESF Team touch some parts of the engine and make it support dual core , triple or quad maybe if possible?

I have read ESF 1.3 will require substantial more resources than previous versions so doing this move would make sense really, however I'm not sure if it is possible?
The minimum and maximum requirement are still kinda unknown.
I am a beta tester and my pc is a quad core q6600.
I have 8GB Ram and my GPU is a Geforce GTX 570 ( Will do well with a lower quality card as well).
So far everything runs prety smooth on the highest setting of the game.

To run HL1 you didnt need much of a computer.
Remember that esf is still a mod on this game.
Your dual core will do fine with hl1 and with esf.
Probs the final version needs a bit more.
But can be solved well with some extra ram and a good GPU.
Maybe the inteam can tell us more about this.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Offtopic but Sting, can you run every game there is as of this moment completely maxed out with every shiny goody turned on?

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It all depends on how 'pretty smooth' it runs. GTX 570 is a real card to have and then your pretty smooth becomes like utterly crap performance a few series down.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I never said I have a dual core. My comp, while still not as good as yours, should run ESF without any kind of problems on the highest settings. I got a Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5 Ghz / Core , Ge Force GTS 250 , 4 GB RAM. Can run like MOST games on the highest settings. The only games I've had problem with is Crysis and The Witcher 2 . I was just asking out of pure curiosity. :p

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I use a 8800GTS videocard (Duo Core 2,3GHZ) with 4GB ram and I get 30/40FPS ingame depending on where I look at.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CPUs are largely dependent on how they process information, not just their cores and the frequency of their cores. That being said, it would be pretty nifty to have multicore support.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with this statement, prefetch and branch prediction are good examples, and how the pipelines and stages are layed out can also make a huge difference.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Multi Core support would only bring better performance wich in turn would allow people to use higher graphical settings and enjoy the game more. :p

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think we have *some* threaded stuff. But we're not going to do true multi threading. Thats still in its infancy in modern engines. I don't think we can even do it as is. I'd have to ask Raven though.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We have seperate threading setups for gameplay and graphics. AKA we make use of the GPU instead of dumping everything on the CPU like HL alone does. So the graphical features are run though your GFX cards RAM and processor, while the gameplay and such is handled by your standard CPU.

That said i dont have a clue what exactly the coders are tinkering with.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think we have *some* threaded stuff. But we're not going to do true multi threading. Thats still in its infancy in modern engines. I don't think we can even do it as is. I'd have to ask Raven though.
Judging by what this team has accomplished thus far, it wouldn't surprise me if you could.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You just described hardware acceleration, not neccesarily multi-threaded computing.
I know. But standard HL hardware acceleration still used the CPU and not the GPU.

As said only the coders can tell you if multithreading is in or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom