ESF 1.3 = ESF 2.0!

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a whacky suggestion.

Since the release of 1.2, you guys have finished tons of new maps, redone all of the models (or will redo), added new characters, made the "buddy system", and have and will just tweak the hell out of the game. Also, there's the possibility of 1.3 being the last version for you all. So, why not call it Beta 2.0? It would sound more "finished", and I think that all the new content deserves a jump to the new number.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then I can't call myself a 1.3 beta tester anymore :(

But seriously,

I think Beta 2.0 could confuse people, that they think its for hl2 instead of hl1, and 1.3 is what all people are waiting for, if you go change the name now people could go like "wtf? is going on? beta 2? hl2? yay!", and then get disapointed since its "only" hl1.

Then again, people could also get confused by the 1.2 and 1.3 thing, like "what is so different in 1.3?", and people just download 1.2 because it might be smaller in size. (could be wrong about that though)

There are advantages and disadvantages, IMO it isn't a bad idea, but we are all used to 1.3, so I'm not to sure about it.

Bleh, just my opinion about it. ^^

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good points there, and I agree with all of them, and both options have their pros and cons and everything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name?"

If it's truely the final product then it should make the leap from b1.3 to v1.0, call it the release and be done with. Any minor bug/coding updates would take it to v1.1 etc.

If it's not the last release then b2.0 would be better imo, seeing as it's basically remastered.

Best answers
naah! just stick with 1.3 because Beta 2.0 well.. sounds not so good in my ears. and why the (my apoligies) h**l change the name?

you have to get some better points before it can be discussed. :)

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um, read the first post, for "points." Why the (my apologies) hell hop from Alpha 2.0 to Beta 1.0? Because it was completely revamped. And Alpha to Beta is a huge jump, this being like a tenth of it, and they are revamping damn near everything...

Best answers
jp said:
Then I can't call myself a 1.3 beta tester anymore :(

But seriously,

I think Beta 2.0 could confuse people, that they think its for hl2 instead of hl1, and 1.3 is what all people are waiting for, if you go change the name now people could go like "wtf? is going on? beta 2? hl2? yay!", and then get disapointed since its "only" hl1.

Then again, people could also get confused by the 1.2 and 1.3 thing, like "what is so different in 1.3?", and people just download 1.2 because it might be smaller in size. (could be wrong about that though)

There are advantages and disadvantages, IMO it isn't a bad idea, but we are all used to 1.3, so I'm not to sure about it.

Bleh, just my opinion about it. ^^
Umm no...

But its already set so they have no choice but to keep it the way it is. And they mind as well stay to their format even if it doesn't make sense. I agree, the naming is wrong but there's no point in changing. It'll just be an "inside" thing for ESF. :\

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
people might get confused. cuz no one reads everything, they might get a2.0 and b2.0 confused. and like JP said, they would get confused and de like "where did 1.3 go?" and seeing that 2.0 is a very large number compared to 1.3 they might thing that they are doing a bunch of new cool stuff, and only be dissapointed in the end.

Just leave it 1.3 it makes it easier for all of us. And 1.3 might not be the end.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
manontherun said:
But its already set so they have no choice but to keep it the way it is. And they mind as well stay to their format even if it doesn't make sense. I agree, the naming is wrong but there's no point in changing. It'll just be an "inside" thing for ESF. :\
I, personally, don't see how the naming can be wrong in any situation. They could choose to call beta 1.3 "ESF 6.8" if they so desired. However, keeping with the fact that much of the features from 1.0 - 1.2 will be kept and added to, it does make sense to have the next installment titled "1.3".

Personally, I don't think a change in the version number is necessary. Why? Well, for some time now, people have been watching for the release of 1.3. If someone suddenly shifts gears and talks about 2.0, people may believe that there's plans to make another release (or several releases between 1.3 and 2.0). This could cause unnecessary confusion and topics/suggestions pertaining to what may be beyond 1.3...heck, it's confusing to even talk about the two in this very post without butchuring my sentence structure o_O. The bottom line? People are used to seeing 1.3 used when the next release is being discussed. We may as well keep the name that way. It follows the KISS principle.

Best answers
SuperSaiyaChris said:
Here's a whacky suggestion.

Since the release of 1.2, you guys have finished tons of new maps, redone all of the models (or will redo), added new characters, made the "buddy system", and have and will just tweak the hell out of the game. Also, there's the possibility of 1.3 being the last version for you all. So, why not call it Beta 2.0? It would sound more "finished", and I think that all the new content deserves a jump to the new number.
I think it would be better just to leave the name as it is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once th newest version comes out, yeah I could see that being 1.3, but the following bug fixes and an other micelaneous things could be made into a 2.0, assuming that they have nothing else to add, because if your going to quit working on a mod, might as well make it complete instead of staying in beta mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom