ESF 1.3 Balance Possibilities

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Goal: To think of an idea that would simplify esf while keeping it's depth, thus making it more fun and easier to pick up.

Note: I'll post here when I get ideas, feel free to add on suggestions etc.

Energy Balls/Beams:

I believe energy balls need some type of an auto lock on, similar to the kame torpedo, except it should only be able to turn so far. Reason: Its far too easy to dodge beams which is why they're nearly not worth using. I also think beam speeds may need adjusting to compesate this sort of feature

----- Beams------
Okay the truth is.. in esf BIG beams like the masenko, kameha , galitgun etc, are PRACTICALLY useless.. unless you run off and start laming people from the back.. This idea is to add beams into a faster gameplay style that i think suits esf..

Thse beam changes apply when shooting a beam that was charged while swooping.
first off.. I think all beams should have a "Limited" firing distance", a bigger radius, along with a "FASTER" charging speed.. and possibilty some beam speed tweaking. Also, I think the explosion should be changed to more of a Shotgun shot kinda explosion instead of a grenade kind of explosion.(also weaker damage and )

This is how it could work:
I haven't came up with how beams could charge up, but I know it should be faster.

A kameha would be far more usefull if the beam traveled faster with a wide radius, and when it reaches its distance limit the beam head could automatically expload, yet the ability to detonate the beam before that is still their. This would make it easier to hit targets with beams.

Things like Gen beams, possibly wouldn't be needed.. if real beams were its replacement.
---Ki Blasts and renzoku---

The idea here, is to help the player hit his target when using this, because currenlty i think it's too difficult to hit a target with speeds even faster then esf 1.2. I've already suggested adding a feature where ki blasts lean towards their enemy but i think that wouldn't be the best idea. Instead I think that sort of feature should be applied to GEN Balls. Ki blasts should get an entirely new feature called... "Auto-Detonation" I guess..

This is how it works:

Basicly, when you shoot a ki blast(s) instead of having to directly hit your target you may now shoot "near" your target and get a hit.
Ki blasts could expload when they are within a certain distance(fairly large) from a player. The explosions are different from other beams, these type of explosions dont do a certain amount of damage depending on how close you are, they do the same amount of damage no matter how close the beam is when it exploads.

Not only will this LOOK better, but it would change gameplay for the better in my opinion. If ki blasts were to expload with small amounts of dust, hitting your target with more then 1 ki blasts could also provide cover for a rush, not to mention a good amount of damage..

These explosion are also different because they're blockable
----Gen Balls----

Gen balls in esf 1.2 are okay, but now were talking about ESF 1.3... with faster speeds.. and with the idea of being able to shoot a gen ball while swooping.. I believe there needs to be a way to help make it more usefull with a Auto-Lean feature...

How it works:
Lets say im charging a gen ball.. there is no lock on for my mouse at all, no need for targeting, no nothing.. BUT when i shoot the gen ball.. Instead of it flying in a straight line.. it could curve towards the nearest target with a 45 degree angle infront of the "BEAM SHOOTER".

The farther away my target is.. the "stronger" the auto-lean is..." the closer my target is.. the weaker it is.. This feature only works for a certain distance... so you cant hide in a corner and shoot at people across the map.. the gen ball will not curve..this makes it impossible to "snipe" from a corner, BUT makes it usefull in close/ semi- close combat
Swooping:
I believe there needs to be actually 2 modes of swoop, along with the speedy swoop showin in Esf 1.3's Open Beta.. but I think it should be applied differently.

First swoop mode: This should be an easier but slower method of swoop, that would replace the very very slow, hover flying. This mode of flight can have a lower ki burn and allow players to travel while carrying large and small energy attacks such as kameha, etc etc.(Note: the current very very slow flight is actually useless.)

- When charging a beam in this swoop mode, your limited to the minimum a beam may be charged. If standing/floating when charging a beam, you may charge a beam to its' max.

- Catching someone with melee, in this swoop mode would cause a more devistating "First Hit".(Possibly a 2 to 3 hit combo sequence before a knock back. The knock back caused during this swoop is can have a unique and quick recovery that doesn't slow gameplay)
----------
How the First swoop mode could work:

Hold powerup and press and hold any direction to begin swooping. After the swoop has started, you can release powerup and continue swooping. While in this swoop mode you may chain swoop simply by pressing and holding another direction. Pressing powerup again while in this swoop, will cause you to stop and power up. If you double tap any direction while swooping in this mode, you will "Chain Swoop" to the faster swoop.
----------

Second swoop mode: This should be be a slightly more difficult method of swoop, but it's also abit faster and more usefull. This mode of flight has a higher ki burn, and doesn't allow the player to use bigger beams.

-------------
How It could work:
Simply double tap and hold any direction to start this swoop, press and hold a different direction to chain swoop. During this swoop if you press powerup you will stop and begin powerup up, BUT your now capable of transitioning to a slower(less kiburn) swoop by holding powerup and pressing a direction.(Good for reacting faster at the last second)
-------------

-----Turbo swoop----
This is the swoop seen in esf 1.3 open beta. I think it's cool to be able to fly so fast, but I think being able to use this swoop so often just destroys the somewhat tactical type of gameplay esf 1.2 had.. and replaces it with randomness and luck.

In my opinion this swoop would be PERFECT for keeping the INTENSITY in an esf server up... I'll more exact after I explain how I think it should work.

How it could work:

Instead or holding powerup + turbo and just zooming off at an insane speed at any moment,.. I believe this type of swoop should require a FULL ki bar to perform..so holding powerup + Turbo without a full ki bar would do nothing
This is why..this way you keep the tactical style of gameplay.. and when players die they'll more then likely use this swoop to join back in the action which will keep the TEAM or Free for all battles at a peak intensity with constant ambushes etc etc..

Melee Types:

I've been thinking of a type of melee that would look nice + be fun and could be fun to do. I guess i call it "tele-fighting".. and I haven't thought of where it would fit in, it could go in for a more entertaining basic melee head on.

It works something like this.. after both players head on... both players engage in a DBZ speed fight where both players are punching/kicking/dodging really fast for about 2 to 3 seconds... then both players teleport to a random spot near the old one, as they continue their automated fight that does no damage, but "Looks" good. When the players are teleporter the Players' crosshairs are thrown into a crazy spin to distort the player.. So after the teleport+crosshair fling.. the player would use his mouse and as quickly as possible turn to click on his enemy who's is still in the auto fighting thing. The first player to click on their opponent wins that mini dual, and lands a few strong hits before both players auto teleport again.. and the sequence plays over again.

And since this feature could be implimented with "Best out of 5" in mind" I think it would be a nice replacement for headon.

Note: If either player fails to click his opponent within 3 to 5 seconds both players break apart like in Esf 1.2's advance melee
---Gen Ball with Melee Combos---

The idea here is to add gen balls into melee for more diverse gameplay and a flashy effect... not to mention spreading the ability to knock some people back when things get too crouded.

Here is how it could work:

While swooping you may charge a gen ball, if you make contact with someone when a gen ball is charging.. you'll perform a basic melee attack that does "LESS" damage, followed by a gen blast at close range which will sending your opponent flying back a good distance.

If the beam is charged at its maximum the gen ball doesn't expload when you hit your target.. instead it pushes them back a very far distance at a very fast speed.. if they hit a wall or if someone hits them from the back the gen ball will expload..
Also the enemy being pushed back may push off the Gen Ball by moving to the side( Similar to a beam struggle but different).

This is how it could work:

When being pushed back by a gen ball a meter on the right appears, similar to the one for a beam struggle. The difference is when the bar reaches the center area of the meter a player double tap left or right to side step the gen ball. Players may also use turbo to increase their powerlevel temporarily to help them side step a gen ball. Aslo the Powerup+Turbo powerlevel chargeup feature is also usable when in this state, the down side to using this.. is that you would burn up ki to increase your powerlevel.
----------------

Recovery Types:

The Idea for this, "Player's recover at different speeds.. depending on how they were hit". This allows room for "quicker" recoveries at certain times, and makes a player carefull about going for the 2nd hit.

Here is how it could work:

When hit in the back, you'll take the Longest time to recover.. giving your opponent the option for a 3 hit basic melee combo.

When hit directly in the side, the recover speed is at a Medium and only gives the opponent the option for a 2 hit basic melee combo.

When hit directly in the front or at an angle, the recovery speed is at its maximum and the player will recover very fast after the hit, BUT unlike the other two recoveries this one doesn't have the player stop in mid air with a "short invincibility" time. Instead, the player does a quick back flip, upwards.. which transitions the player into a "freefall state"(drifting). Once in this state the player can be hit again and the player may do w/e he/she wants.. This eliminates that short delay gives more fluid gameplay
Ill be editing this post when i get more ideas..

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lock-on for anything: No

Swooping: I use the ability to hover to maneuver myself, and I'd rather it wasn't removed.

I'm not sure what you mean by more harder and easier in terms of swooping. Swooping should be easy at all times so you can focus on combat.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
U'll see what i mean.. when i explain it abit more..

as for the lockon.. its for the beam's travel. not the mouse ..

so if i were to shoot at you the beam would lean towards you.. instead of locking like a torpedo

1.2 swoop is easy for the experienced.. difficult for the new player.. I'm goign to suggest a swoop thats easier for the new player but gives everyone benefits

If the player wishes to advance himself, he'll have to step up to the next type of swoop..

this gives the new player something to rely on until he learns the slightly more advanced swoop..

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right, but that makes someone already extremely good with beams even more dangerous. Now you're not going to miss by a split hair because the beam leans into your opponent, almost guaranteeing a direct hit. If not, you'll definitely get them with the detonation.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I suggested that Energy "Balls" lean.. (gen ball / ki blasts)

not including frieza's death ball or spirit bomb etc..

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jinx, the idea doesn't balance anything. You're just adding the pseudo-lock on system that most 360 fps' have, and it has no place in ESF. If you want to hit your target, you should have to aim at him, or lead the target. I spoke about beams because you have Balls/Beams in bold.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if this was a console game, lock-on would be pheasable. however, you have a mouse in this particular "console" to control direct movement. its all about skill on the computer.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I agree its all about skill.. but there can be skill with less of a strain o_O..

This shouldn't reallly be somthin that takes FOR EVER to get good/decent at..

I like the games depth.. but it needs an easier curve for the ride up.. while keeping its' intensity..

a lockon for the mouse I disagree with.. an autolock LEAN for a energy ball in motion.. i agree with..

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If someone can't learn to point the mouse and aim to fire a simple ki blast or gen ball or a beam (which is still in bold) without some kind of assistance, they have no right being on a computer, let alone playing ESF.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
your forgetting the speed of a player.. even if you were to stand still and shoot ki blasts at someone swooping around.. I doubt ude get a hit... especially if they decide to start teleporting..

Then consider esf 1.3 open beta.. the speeds are faster( even tho i think they should be HIGHLY adjusted and slown down )

you wont be hitting much with players going that fast.. I also think beam speeds should be adjusted

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not forgetting anything. Auto-aim isn't needed.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree. While we will have the box crosshair (like the one on teh beams) for easier aiming. You still have to aim yourself.

In any case. I dislike having melee decided by the guy who has more luck and just happens to face the right way while smashing the mouse button in hoping to click you.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
box like cross hair/!?! whaa?!

btw i put my ideas up in the first post.. they're in Quotations so they're hard 2 miss

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When beams are fired by the enemy, a box surrounds the beamhead, this just makes it easier to aim your beam at the opposing beamhead. Really, i wouldnt expected you to play 1.3 before attempting to balancce it =S

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Oh i remember that.. yea it doesn't look so bad..

I thought he meant a box around the "player" tho..

anywho

Check my first post.. i added more under Beams,, Melee, Swoops, and Recovery

How they work is in quotes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom