ESF 1.1 Gameplay

Best answers
same arguements from the same people.

Only thing you can do about it is quit playing and move on

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Ah, Carnage my love.
They have already done this "Reversed ESF" project, though i dont think it will last long. You all forget 1.1 had alot of annoying things.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So does 1.2.

Best answers
Compared to some features of 1.2, 1.1 was horrible, but I and many others believe that the main core of the gameplay was so much better than it is now. Also, 1.2 has alot of flaws, bugs, exploits and whatnot, further decreasing enjoyment. Non the less, we continue playing it sometimes but usually only with a small group of players who we deem worthy of playing. Visiting pubs is out of the question since it's either too easy or too annoying.

Looking back, most of the suggestions I made were utter crap and completely deviated from where I was trying to get to. After taking a break for quite a while I realise once again that 1.1's simplicity was what made it what it is today in our minds.

But that doesn't take away the fact that 1.1 definatly had it's flaws, the biggest one being lack of features. That's why I still believe that combining the best of the two will create the best release. And if there are any problems, just give the user the choice rather than forcing one oppinion on everybody (ugh, tele delay?)

Best answers
I doubt any features worth mentioning. What special features does 1.2 have, which, in your opinion, are a must to this modification? Arrow-bashing? 1.1 with the ability to grab and throw around players would be just perfect, and add some more variety to combo's. I mean, they may have added features (still don't know which), but cut the speed down like what, 150%? Bad bargain.

Long time no see Carn. Alles goed met mijn gup?

Best answers
Features I wouldn't mind being in are the camera controls, the ability to swoop in multiple directions and .... well those are pretty much the only two I can think up with right now. In terms of genuine gameplay I can't really think of much that actually improved ESF.

Anyway, I would suggest building on 1.1 rather than continuing with 1.2's code. However, from what I understand, 1.1's code got pretty much dumped or destroyed making that impossible. On the other hand, 1.2's code got so corrupted and is so full of 'features' and what not that it's probably more of a bother to remove everything and get it working again than rebuilding it from the ground up I believe.

Ya, the main point is probably adding features to 1.1 and change some stuff here and there, cos 1.2 took a whole new direction, one that ended up at the bottom of a cliff imo.

Best answers
Well, swooping via mouse caught my interest. Then again, multiple-direction swooping wouldn't hurt the game. I mean, as long as the speeds stay the same, there won't be alot of changes. Camera-control..Well, something I can't argue about. If people like it, let them have it. 1.1 Gameplay was awesome, hence noone stopped playing it.

1.1's code got dumped? I must've been gone for a long time, then. If that's the case, lots of work would be required. Their call whether it's worth it or not.

"cos 1.2 took a whole new direction, one that ended up at the bottom of a cliff imo."

Wel, not in your opinion, in everybody's, because it's true. Compare the activity between 1.1 times and 1.2 and you're stunned.

Toch belachelijk dat er niets verandert is veranderd in mijn absentie. *schopt carnage*

Best answers
...but didn't someone say that the speeds were slowed down to make room for other transformations? I think that once 1.3 comes out it will have the speed of 1.1 with the multidirection and shiny-ness of 1.2. Just keep in mind the speed was scaled down, and hopefully when you become rediculously transformed it'll seem more like that...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, this is true, but you sound more clever/superior when you're cynical and condecending about everything.

" Compare the activity between 1.1 times and 1.2 and you're stunned. " compare the year, and games avalible, the existance of WON and Steam, and the game esf is a modification of (a game that was released almost a decade ago now). Take that into consideration and it renders your comparison useless.

Here's something from a melee design document ive been working on.

1.1 melee:

Pro's:

Freedom and expandability (creating your own combos)
Fast paced
Huge learning curve
"The DBZ feel"
Knockback distance/speed

Cons:

The huge learning curve left newcommers struggling to compete
Scripting problems
After being hit, you have no way of deciding what happens to you (no control/input/Limit in what your enemy does to you)
Lockon
Lack of ki moves used while in battle

1.2 Melee:

Pro's:

The ability to link up with Ki attacks between melee fighting
The ability to link up with throwing/winning head ons/ending advanced melee with strong hit
2 hit cap addresses the learning curve, and caping the combo's you're able to perform. - this really lessens the learning curve and makes it easier
No lockon

Cons:

Inability to adapt and explore/expand
Easy to perform
Slower, less knockback
Inability to avoid ki attacks even though (almost) recovered
The repetativeness (hit -> hit -> ki blast x3/generic beam/burning attack repeat... really thats 95% of the game atm)
Unjustified second hit (as its so easy, and unavoidable)
Double tap

Its called progression, no doubt you're going to have pro's and cons in all versions. Best thing to do is get over it and help with 1.3, hence the suggestion section.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What the ****ing crap was that. It was like ESF, but crippled.

I shoot at him and suddenly Im unable to melee. I think to sideswoop out of the way, but oh right, I cant. With every hit, Im sent accross the map and get to sit there for 5 seconds while I get up.

Ill stick with 1.2, thankyou.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not to be mean, but you're the stereotypical 1.1 noob.

OMG I DIDN't WIN THE FIRST TIME PLAYED! THIS SUCKS!! RAAHHHH!!

The best players are the ones who put the time and effort into become good at the game. In 1.2, you really don't need to do that. Simply swoop into someone, play ddr, and bam! Instant gratification. They made 1.2 the way it is for you and people like you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Be mean, I like 1.2, so I was going to keep playing it regardless of whether 1.1 was good or not.

And I did win.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks to me like this thread is getting a little too flamey.

/me sticks thread in the ear with a sharp and pointy object.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom