English or Japanese

What language do you prefer to watch your anime in?

• Total voters
King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was having this discussion with some recently turned anime lover friends of mine. All of which have gotten into english dubbed anime. My view on it, is that in most cases, the japanese versions are better, simply because anime in Japan is more than just cartoons like it is in the western world, and because of that, voice actors put more emotion into their characters and I think bring out something greater than an english dub voice actor who's reading a script so a 4 year old can understand (see Naruto)

There are some exceptions. Funimation which I imagine most people are familliar with (Dubbers of all dragonball) has some of the best english voice actors out there. You only need to compare the Pioneer Master Roshi, (pioneer the original dubbers of dragonball) and the Funimation to see how an old man can be voiced to be a dirty old man.

Other exceptions I can think of are Full Metal Alchemist, I watched the series in Japanese originally, only recently I've seen some in english and it isn't nearly as bad as what other recent translations have turned out (see Naruto...again)

So anyway, to the point. What language do you prefer to watch your anime in. English dubbed, or Japanese with subs.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Japanese attack names sound cool.

Funimation, usually butchers that area.

Best answers
Bah, anyone that even considers dubbing as a legitimate cross culture bridge are ****ing morons. We've been watching film with subtitles for decades, why go and **** something up with people going over and in most cases butchering and insulting the origional voice actors work?

It is also American dubbings' fault that anime has gotten a childish stigma about it- due to having the anime cut down to non violent, immature themed rot to be aimed at childern, why? For commercial gain duuh. Then they can produce toys and video games and this and that. Also honestly dubbed anime (in general) is voiced by people that really honestly have no talent. Sorry but compared to the Japanese american, voice actors are severely B grade.

America needs to stop Americanizing.

Best answers
Japanese attack names sound cool.

Funimation, usually butchers that area.
Yeah, I have to agree to that.

I don't mind fansub groups, who translate techniques in order to explain the naming (like Dattebayo), but I really don't like to hear translated techniques names like Shadow Clone Jutsu - KageBunshin Jutsu. Oh and hey, why didn't they translate Jutsu? :Q

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I have to agree to that.

I don't mind fansub groups, who translate techniques in order to explain the naming (like Dattebayo), but I really don't like to hear translated techniques names like Shadow Clone Jutsu - KageBunshin Jutsu. Oh and hey, why didn't they translate Jutsu? :Q
That bothers me, too--when people PARTIALLY translate a technique.

Naruto, as a good example. It should be either:
かげぶんしんのじゅつ (kage bunshin no jutsu) OR
Shadow clone technique.

Not.. "Shadow clone jutsu!"

And yet, the subtitle-loving world still does this.

"Sexy no jutsu"? No. Naruto does not say "Sexy の じゅつ!!”

He says おいろけのじゅつ, "oiroke no jutsu," meaning sexy technique or alluring technique.

If you're going to translate the names (which I don't recommend), do it the whole way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Depends on the show.

I grew up with Pokemon being dubbed in Dutch, and I prefer that over any other dubbing.

DBZ, I experienced first in English, so I enjoy that more in English than in Japanese.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Japanese, or everything sounds too stupid to me. :E

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends really. I like some animes in English and others in Japanese. For example, I liked Hellsing in English, more than I liked it in Japanese (but that could be because I saw it in English first). Same for DB/Z/GT. It depends on the anime. But most of the animes I watch, I prefer to watch in Japanese. So that gets my vote.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I kinda prefer Jap voices cause i dont understand the language. I can speak english and listening to animes dubed to english is about as corny as listening to stuff dubed to slovenian. I cant stand that **** ^^

So the apeal of not actually understanding the whole language has me more hooked up to jap with subs. But if there is no other way ill settle for english dubs.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jap for most part, but there are a few exceptions.

fullmetal alchemist, trigun, gungrave, those 4 are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head that sounded better (to me) in english.

the ones that are aired on cartoon network, (take naruto for example) its like they didnt even watch the original anime to get a feel for the personality of the character before choosing the VA, ive yet to see a single character/voice matchup that actually fit on the english version.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Japanese with english subs. Reason being is the japanese voice actors know how to put emotion and give characters their own personality I feel well some of the american voice actors just butcher that and turn it into a kids show.

There was only one anime I ever preferred watching dubbed and that was Desert Punk which was better dubbed then subbed go figure.

What I really wish is every damn game that gets translated to english that comes from japan comes with an option to choose japanese voices with english subs cause damn tired of playing these butchered voice acting games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that Samurai Champloo's and DBZ's dubbing are the best. Although, other animes that use Japanese voices tend to use higher voices than English voices. Considering that Asian women can produce a higher pitched voice than American women, (not to mention the Asisan women who does Pikachu), Japanese voices have more variation,

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well something like Samurai Champloo was carried by Nujabe and Fat Jon's music, they just threw in simple voice over for the random and easy one-liners the anime propelled itself with.

DBZ's dub was also carried by Bruce Faulconer's amazing electronica, and most of the dialogue was fairly simple.

Now take a complex dialogue like Naruto, and you begin to see the discrepancies.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer Japanese. Although when I'm watching TV or doing something else on my computer, the English language comes in handy when you don't know Japanese.

Lord of Chaos
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Depends.. I for whatever silly reason watch Sonic X in Japanese, but nearly everything else I watch in english if I can help it. I also don't mind reading over the subtitles in the english dubs as I've found it's closer to the original Japanese translations than what's actually being said.

I rarely watch the G / PG rated animes which, as you say, are dumbed down for the kiddies so it's never bothered me much.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cowboy Bebop was decent. Some more recent titles forgetting Naruto are decent. I'm thinking that most cries about the low quality of English dubbing are now being heard and responded to.

Best answers
Well, some anime series are better in English rather than Japanese and vice versa. An example is DragonBall Z, in English dub, Goku's voice is alot better than the Japanese one.

So, I don't mind either.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For me it sometimes depends on what I've seen first. But I prefer jap with subs.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
An example is DragonBall Z, in English dub, Goku's voice is alot better than the Japanese one.
Depends on how you look at it. I personally think that the english voice is to serious for a goofy persona like Goku.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As it was said before it really depends on how they sound, for example: Naruto 1 was a lot better in jap than dubbed, but Bleach on the other hand sounds a lot better in english. For me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom