Energy and You

What is Your Take on the Idea of Chi?

• Bogus. There is no inner power, just muscle strength.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very real. The effects of the harnessing of chi are very existent.

• Hell Yeah! Train hard enough and you will be able to blow up mountains!

• Somewhat. Maybe not "inner power", but something reflecting physical strength.

• Total voters
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is a thread regarding raw physical strength, but then there is the dimension of mind and energy, so why not have a thread to correspond it?

As my alias would suggest, I am highly interested in the idea of "chi" (Chinese word for energy, ki is the Japanese equivalant to chi). Chakra is not chi, as Naruto plays it off; it is an Indian word that means "wheel", 7 chakras being in the body.

On a daily basis, I find myself exerting a force by will, which I believe to be the chi. Nothing "made up in my head" because I actually can get tired and sweat if I begin to exert the maximum amount. Now a lot of people may relate "chi" to Dragonball Z or Naruto. They are good way to get interested in the idea, but strongly glorify it.

You are not (to my knowledge) going to shoot electricity out of your body or have rocks flowing up from the ground, but the "flame" effect is pretty close. I can use my energy to embody myself with heat, making my senses sharper and my body overall more efficient and mind focused. Emotion also does aid in the exertion of energy.

Another reason why I believe the practice of harnessing chi is that it actually works. When I am calmly moving through tai chi positions focusing on where my energy is directed, after I am done, I feel tranquil, clear minded and warmth radiating from me

So, what is your take on chi? False spiritual belief? Spiritually enhancing phenomenon? Or the power to blow up a planet?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Having studied various martial arts for a grand total of 12 years, I feel that Chi/ki is real. I have seen the effects of pressure points, and seen wholly seperate effects of ki embued strikes. I have seen a great many different ways to use it. You will find that the skeptics will be vehemently skeptical, and that people who want to believe will make it up as they go along, damaging the credibility of those who they try to emulate.

All of this being said, I would like to see this thread not degenerate into a flame war, have your opinions, express them with passionate discourse, but do not lose respect for other memebers who post here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've not seen enough proof to be able to say for sure that it is real, but I do believe that there might be a lot of truth in it. I have yet to see any proof against it, really.

Pretty damn cool, I'd say. :yes: I've seen Aikido guys get smashed with bamboo sticks and they don't get phased, supposedly by channeling their Chi to withstand the pain.

This one guy even leaned forward onto the sharp end of a spear. The sharp end was at his throat, and the guy didn't fall or bleed or anything. Most impressive.

Best answers
I to belive in it. Actualy im eaven attemting to practise it but i still am a noob at the subjekt.
Compared to karate master that yielded Hakkei im nearly nothing ore that budyst guy that did the spear trik mentioned above ore the other when he put the tip of his spear in to his bellybutton and "standed" on that i think it should have pierced him for sure.

i think its very real, but skeptics arnt going to change theyr mind eaven if meny peapole say its true untill the feel it them selves.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there's enough proof to subdue my inner sceptic, things like electro phototography (Can't remember it's real name, but I brought it up in the 'Can you Ascend' thread) that show energy signals radiating from people, animals and to a lesser extent, plants, literally anything organic. The signals are what I suppose are believed to be auras, each one having different patterns and colours. However, that's where my belief ends. Personally I don't believe in the whole 'empowerment' or 'lifeforce' theory, just electromagnetic signals generated by organic matter.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont believe into the inner power truelly... when i was a lil kid... k 3 years ago >_< ...i belived at it... but now i dont think its possible to do something just from the"inner power" ....

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My belief is that this energy relates to willpower somehow.

Those with a strong will to do something will do better at it than someone who doesn't posess that will to succeed.

That's just me, however =P

Best answers
Well here is some thing for you to think abaut.
What are we all made of. => atoms of course, (atoms are suposed to be energy but that is irrelovent.)
And so is every thing else made of atoms, like the banana you ate a year ago ore the comuter screen you are looking at, eaven the air you breathe in.
All things, you, me ore the tree out side are made of the same thing.
Well we are like drops of watter in a bucket. But how can you tell where you end and others things begin.
Well we actualy cant, in a way we can influence our enviorment with out moving your arm, leg ore eny body part.
Cause we are all parts of energy in a big bucket of it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone has a different amount of endurance. I feel that this "chi/ki" is some form of it. But I don't think that it's something we can harness. It's like using more than 10% of your brain.

In all honesty, I'm more on an "brute strength" kind of guy. I've been doing martial arts for 10 years so far. (1 kind not many) and it's not a subject we ever brought up.

My vote: muscle power.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i forgot to add one point <_<

may some of you think that the inner power is also something when you have to decide something in ur mind.... or else... i just think that our life is allready written.. i mean when we will die, why , how , and when you will have ur first gf and on on on ...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Everyone has a different amount of endurance. I feel that this "chi/ki" is some form of it. But I don't think that it's something we can harness. It's like using more than 10% of your brain.

In all honesty, I'm more on an "brute strength" kind of guy. I've been doing martial arts for 10 years so far. (1 kind not many) and it's not a subject we ever brought up.

My vote: muscle power.
Which martial art are you doing? Almost all of them mention it, or teach it and don't tell you. For instance, I took Tae Kwon Do for almost 4 years before I learned that I had been learning bits all along, and when I realized it my Grand Master began to show me more in ernest without hiding it in other lessons. Some instructors teach you the methods and literally don't tell you.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sure, I believe in chi and all it's wonders. I'm more interested in psi though. At first I was pretty sure it was just different words with the same meaning, but I've been convinced otherwise. The mind truly is a terrible thing to waste. Especially when it's capable of so many things when you conciously control your thoughts rather than just let it rant.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
(Can't remember it's real name, but I brought it up in the 'Can you Ascend' thread)
I knew there was a thread I made that was similar to this...

I've seen a video of a man just lying down with an unreal amount of weat sitting upon his chest. That amount of energy focus, or "mind over matter" for people who see it that way, is practically unfathamable. Ashame I rarely here studies going deeper into the potential of human beings regarding feats such as that.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The mind and thought can be powerful things. Look at taking a placebo while thinking you're taking true medication. With the belief you'll get better, you probably will. Many cancer patients still live today not because of their radiation treatment, but their positive attitudes.

As for "using more than 10% of your brain," that's complete fabrication. We use 100% of our brain. The concept of using only 10% of your brain is a common myth, which many like to perpetuate. So, if there really is some kind of hidden energy, it doesn't come from there.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No one said it did <_<. We don't use 100% of our brain at any given moment, but we do use pretty much all of it. I'm thinking chi and psi have more to do with perception and awareness than anything else. People who don't believe it doesn't exist are unable to do any of the feats that say...a Chi Kung Master can do. Someone who does, however, may be able to perform similar feats to a lesser degree simply because they believe. We are our own worst enemy. If we don't want something to exist, it doesn't exist for us.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the end, no amount of faint aural vision or concentrated 'ki empowerment' is going to save you from someone whose arms are big enough to crush your head like a grape.

That summarizes my entire take on it, really. I feel pretty exclusively that any and all remarks about this ki stuff, this aura vision, this 'focus and you can sweat a lot, isn't it remarkable?!' stuff, is very much entirely fabricated. Adrenaline and subsequent feats that seem 'superhuman' are the scientific explanation for this--which is also why when I am furious, I have ripped doors off their hinges and kicked a locked car door open from the inside, but when I am not angry I can't even remotely come close to those things.

I'd like to see more documentation and less 'claiming' in these sorts of discussions. That's great for you, you can hold your breath for 15 minutes and your vision gets blurry--same thing happens to me if I hold a plastic bag on my head for too long. I'm not impressed by any of the claims, whether they are huge or small in stature.

Sorry, but I just don't see it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
don't believe in chi, it's all about you much you're able to focus your mind. about how well your nervous system is, how much muscle fiber one has.. it's all psychology and physiology

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suppose telling SaiyanPride to go find some Shaolin monks wouldn't help...hmm...well, go find one. If he can't prove to you chi exists, no one can.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For me, I believe it's less about something fancy and mystical like some might think, and more about focussing. In a normal situation, one probably isn't using their full potential. IE say striking with only 50% of your strength, even when you feel like you couldn't hit and harder. I'd say the techniques help you concentrate and focus, which allows you to relax and focus your goals/abilities/whatever, so that you can use more of your potential than you would otherwise.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe in in Chi, energy, lol, I meditate myself often,

I don't see it as some fancy thing that some people like to turn it into,

Yeah, I can feel it, easily, and even if I don't do martial arts (well not a martial arts as in "to a dojo, or such, someoen I know did tought me allot. still learning though"), I know how to use it, but its not like you go "muhahaha, I'm gonna kick you with my chi kick", that's stupid, its more "subtle",

Why do you think bruce lee was saying "be like water?", he also meant your attitude, but also the way you treat yourself, your energy...

I read about people here on the forum, about a year ago, saying they were "pushing" out their energy to do more harder things, IE, punching harder.

Maybe I sound blunt, but if you do that, you can also try to squeeze a coconut with your bare hands...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom