Endings that ruined it all

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you ever watched an anime that was so good, you couldn't wait to see the amazing ending? Sure, we all have. However, have you ever seen an anime that had an ending that completely ruined everything for you? And ending that made you preak out your "WTF Flag" and parade it around town? I'm sure some of us have.

Please dont spoil ending plots without doing the usual white-text thing please.

First on my list is an anime I watched recently called Canvas 2. It was definately a great anime that was a good mix of comedy and drama and lots of character development with the main characters. It was a romance story where the main character has to deal with 2 girls fawning over him: His cousin and his childhood friend. The whole ending turned out amazing with a great ending. Then the credits rolled. I thought it would be a nice finish. But then...
There was one final scene after the ending credits on the final episode that showed the main character IN BED NAKED WITH HIS COUSIN!!! The entire anime led to an ending between him and his childhood friend, but in the last 10 seconds, after the credits already rolled, they saw it fit to slap this last scene on. They apparently are now together. After all, they kissed passinately. Did I mention they were cousins and that this girl was pretty much a sister to him all his life and he repeatedly told her that he didn't want a relationship any more than family? Way to go! Way to ruin a good show and completely soil everything leading up to it, you dumb ass writers!"

Moving on, I'd like to cover Mahoromatic. Great anime. Very funny, but definately left us a little sad considering Mahoro's "timer." Still, there was always a ray of hope that things might turn out ok in the end...
Nope! Mahoro blows herself up a whole lot earlier than expected, thus leaving our poor main character lost and alone once again. The final episode shows him all grown up, lost and lonely without anyone. Really...the loss of Mahoro is sad, yes...but he could have at least moved on with one of the other girls he was with. NOPE! Brooding and alone, and guess what? mahoro is randomly brought back to life. Kind of late now, isn't it? Sure it tries to end on a happy note, but come on! This is pushing it...

And now a personal favorite of mine to really rip apart: Evangelion. It's certainly a wild roller coaster ride of emotions. Joy, sadness, anger, insanity, hilarity, and everything in between. I enjoyed watching it...that is...until I reached the end...
Everyone dies. I really hate anything that ends with mass death and no real resolve. I mean really, did everyone need to be killed? Was there any true logic behind it? Though I'm not the only one who felt this way since the writer got a ton of hate mail for this ending, resulting in the movie as an alternate ending, which also sucked. Still, I'm not a fan of unhappy endings, but this just went overboard.

Next is one of my favorite animes gone horribly horribly wrong. Tenchi Muyo. Now, the OAV ended on a cliffhanger and was executed very well. It was there I met the villain Kagato, who became one of my favorite anime villains of all time. He got his own story arc and then the show continued with a few more arcs, only to leave on an unfinished note. There was then Tenchi Universe, which was the actual TV series that was really good. It also featured Kagato as the villain, but not the same Kagato as the OAV version, which was dissappointing. There was then Tenchi in Tokyo, which started Tenchi's downward spiral. The series itself started OK, but it gradually got worse. The ending, however, was absolutely terrible and obviously tacked on. However, this is not the main focus. The main focus is back on the OVA...OVA3...
OVA1 ended with Kagato while OVA2 ended with the cliffhanger. OVA3 is more recent and continued the OVA story and included more character introduced from Tenchi GXP (the side-story), OVA3 started off ok, but ended HORRIBLY! The new villain was thrown in so randomly. the final episode began in the middle of the battle between him and tenchi. The previous episode had no build-up to this at all. I literally thought I skipped an episode on accident, but really didn't. After all was said and done, the show ended with everyone's memories erased of that time and a repeat of the episodes begin without the villain this time. So...it makes me wonder...WHAT WAS THE POINT?! If the story is going to continue with everyone not knowing what just happened, then to me it's more like a filler than the actual story since it won't even matter for future events. No point at all! Waste of 3 hours...

...anyway, this is all I'll cover for now. I'm sure I'll remember more on the way...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Logan, perhaps you might've appreciated the ending to Canvas 2 if you, like a large portion of the Japanese anime consumer-base, loved incest. Take off the bias-goggles! Come on! Cultural relativism!

That being said I must defend Evangelion. Spoiler goggles: End of Evangelion was over the top, no doubt. But it was an over the top ending to an over the top plot, really. This wasn't Gundam SEED or something, wasn't a bunch of kids romping around in giant robots and believing in the power of friendship. It was angsty as hell, with a plot that had most people's heads spinning. Everyone dying is somewhat of a misconception. It's not -really- the end. I think Rei or somebody says it, but as soon as the souls desire to be separate and individual, they'll come back to the Earth. That's why Asuka, who was beyond a shadow of a doubt dead (gruesomely killed by the AI evangelions) is there at the end. Shinji hates pain/suffering (endured it his whole life) so he decides to make everybody one, inside Lillith's egg again, to stop it everywhere. But after a little while he realizes that there's a good thing about individuals and living and etc., so he becomes an individual himself again and everyone else becomes free to as well. It's just going to take some time. Anyway I thought it was an alright ending. Gutsy as heck to say the least.

I thought Chobits had a bad ending. Cute and all, at times pretty sad, but I'm not sure what they were trying to say. Spoiler: It's okay to love a robot? What? A robot who's *programmed to be your faithful servant?" Isn't that a little ridiculous? They even showed how that guy, the cook or whatever, got his life ruined by doing that. What a creepy loser, but at least he got it back together. And I know Chi was supposed to be some kind of exception or something, emotions that develop and etc., but it's still kind of creepy just because she was as dumb as a snail when Hideki finds her and he raises her like a friggin' baby. But like I said, Japanese kinda dig incest.

Tenchi was actually one of the first animes I watched... all the way back on Cartoon Network and all. Confused me so much when they kept switching storylines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom