Effects of damage houses or holes blocks

Best answers
Hi, i'm new i realy like this mod and i played many times.

I have a suggestion about new version it was very nice if the map is destroyed like in the dbz from ps2 when someoane blast the earth it makes a holes or when blast a house or a block that is crashed.. I think you understand what i'm trying to say

I hope you understand what i'm tacking about.

Sorry for my bad english:fight:

Thank you

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you mean something like this ???

Best answers
I saw this pictures..

But . One second

Like this. if you blast that rock.. the rock make powder or many pieces of the rock .
You understand?
Thank you

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so you wanna end up with a flat desert after two minutes of people blasting rocks away ?

Best answers
Hmm.. no't really but it will be more realistic and more fun:d

I think soo..

What do you guys think?

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think fighting in a flat and empty battlefield is boring. A few destructions for show are alright, but it's a lot of effort just so people can empty the map within 2 minutes or less.

Best answers
OK , sorry if it was a bad ideea .

Sorry for my bad english.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't say it was a bad idea, I just said that I personally think that destruction of a level should be limited and people should more think about the consequences to the game play and performance for this little extras. So the question would be do you like fighting on an empty plane ?

Best answers
No i didn't .. but you can do the damange more little not destroy all rock ,just a part..

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No i didn't .. but you can do the damange more little not destroy all rock ,just a part..
The first picture Raven posted show partial destruction ^^. Raven's right though, there are implications in having things destructible. It's also dependent on who's mapping, some might not feel like doing it ^^.

Best answers
Well, great idea. Then you can do it just for an option. If s1 create a game, could tick it : want or dont want a map like that cuz maybe LAN or sg like that would be Realllly fun.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, great idea. Then you can do it just for an option. If s1 create a game, could tick it : want or dont want a map like that cuz maybe LAN or sg like that would be Realllly fun.

For that you just need someone to make a map like that. Doing it differently would just be a waste of time on our side. Especially since it limits the maps people can make to the servers choice rather than to what the mapper intended.

Best answers
o,i see. I aint know that it could be done way like that. Well.. who's gonna make a map like that ?:p is that hard?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Really, massive scale destruction doesn't make sense for an action game where you persist in the environment for extended periods of time. Even games that have that capacity choose not to do it. Excepting Red Faction Guerilla possibly. But the matches aren't that long to begin with.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Performance issues aside. You are seeing it the wrong way, Karrde. Destroying a map shouldn't result in a completely flat surrounding. That's just bad level design if you would do that. You would need to imagine a more complex setting. Think Namek, where you start with the beautiful, lush, green environment. And you end with a completely battle damaged version, you saw at the end of Goku vs Freeza's fight. Parts of this should be possible. Over time, when people gain more PL on a map, the sky would slowly fade from green to a darkish-red, lightning everywhere. Destroyable stuff should be possible on many PC's, it's just the amount of physics you will want to introduce and the amount of 3d particles.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Performance issues aside. You are seeing it the wrong way, Karrde. Destroying a map shouldn't result in a completely flat surrounding. That's just bad level design if you would do that. You would need to imagine a more complex setting. Think Namek, where you start with the beautiful, lush, green environment. And you end with a completely battle damaged version, you saw at the end of Goku vs Freeza's fight. Parts of this should be possible. Over time, when people gain more PL on a map, the sky would slowly fade from green to a darkish-red, lightning everywhere. Destroyable stuff should be possible on many PC's, it's just the amount of physics you will want to introduce and the amount of 3d particles.
!

Now that's an idea!
Instead of destructible environments, couldn't something like this be done?
Like, as Sicron said, if there are many high PL players, the map and sky could change color and stuff, and if there are any 'entities' (i think thats the term..?) like monsters they could get replaced/added/removed/etc.
Or it could be time based.

Though i dunno whether it could be done to the map itself(Changing look while midgame without having to reload...)

The weather could be changed as well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the team already demonstrated a day/night system in a earlier video (don't quote me on that though). That system could easily be adjusted for something like this.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the team already demonstrated a day/night system in a earlier video (don't quote me on that though). That system could easily be adjusted for something like this.
Not really. That's simply using shaders to fade 2 skyboxes back and forth and altering the global light values. Affecting the geometry is way different. We still have to use most of the HL renderer, and true destruction would take a lot of power and time for small effect.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
What about using surface decals and make the destruction apparent? Sort of like an illusion to the eye, that way it wont be too demanding and still offers eye candy, and if troublesome make them disappear after a certain limit has been reached or when a blast lands near its vicinity so u wouldnt notice ur effects left on the ground disappearing all of a sudden xD. Kind of like when in DBZ they get punched and then they slide on the ground and they leave skid marks where they slid, that could just be drawn and triggered when this sort of situation happens. Or if u get punched in a wall make it look as if it cracked. I personally really liked the effects in DBZ Raging Blast they were very effective and didnt seem all that demanding aside from the destructible environment. The best effect I thought was that when u punched someone from very high up into a certain point on the ground on some maps and the whole ground would just plummet about 10 feet (scalable?). Thought that was awesome :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom