Earth and Gravitation

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah so ok, this is kinda unrealistic in terms of our current level of technology, but is gets me thinking nonetheless. I've been reading the book "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which basically expounds on Super String Theory (aka String Theory). This basically is the current approach to the creation of a Unified Field Theorem, which reconciles General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. If I've just confused everyone on the forum, that's ok since that's really neither here or there other than pimping the book/PBS series ;P Anyway, the book starts out with a setup talking about the conflicts that were created due to General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. Anyway, so it got started on how Newton's laws break down at relative speeds close to that of light. Hmmm, also neither here or there really. Anyway, something I just thought about is considering our level of technology, the mass of the earth is relatively constant since we don't import anything from outside of the planet. But something I started to wonder about: Assuming we don't blow the crap out of ourselves and we do manage to get to a level of technology where we actually start taking advantage of extra-planetary resources, do you think we'd actually eventually significxantly affect the planet's mass as to mess with our gravity to the point that we might jack up our orbit? I mean do you think we'd do it and not really notice the problem until it becomes serious like humans have a tendency to do?

For reference, I think this is the formula for the Newtonian force of Gravity between 2 objects: F = -G*(M1*M2)/r^2 where M1 and M2 are the masses of the objects, G is the Gravitational Constant (6.67*10^-11), r is the distance between them, and F is the force of attraction.

Watch nobody respond to this because they don't know/like physics. Man I'm a Geek ;P

-Karrde-

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
concidering the mass of the earth (currently) and the ammount of mass needed to significantly affect gravitation... No way. Never ever gonna happen.

No need to be a crack in physics to come to this conclusion ;P

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So basicly you are saying that if humanyty was dumb enough to make a device to extract power directly from the Eatrh and temper with its mass Wed jack off into orbit.

Sounds fun. In any case i belive well blow ourselvs to bits long befor that ever happens. But the thought of making the Earth rotate faster sounds interesting ^^

Additional G-forces :p

Best answers
additional g-forces = more muscle!!! Sweet, we'll become a race of power, the next saiyans (w/o the kai and super strength and all). Its too bad that we'll all be dead before this happens.

Best answers
I think we would have to find a metal or something from another planet. that we began to build with regularly to increase our planets mass enough to have an effect on our orbit.

Not only that, but I think that we would probly notice if our orbit started going fubar, mainly because we are capable of keeping tabs of our orbit now, so by the time we start harvesting heavy minerals from other planets, our technology should have increased enough to the point where we will know if our orbit changes in the slightest.

Although that would be an interesting ride, flying out of orbit like a wiplashed meteor.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know it's quite unrealistic, I just thought it an interesting concept ;P More of a question of what will become of humanity I guess in terms of our ability to care about serious problems ;P Anyway, read the book ;P

-Karrde-

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I'm a fan of the law of universal gravitation, because I like to think that I affect everything else in the universe. >:)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i actually think itll be a different situation. sooner or later we will start colonising other places, ill use the moon as an example.

in order to do so, they will have to effectively terraform the surface, and indeed the subterrainian levels enough to support such things that would be needed. but the process involved would affect the mass of the moon, probably to the point where the gravity level will change, and eventually the orbit of the moon might go askew. it might not even be noticable by our every day reckoning, but over the course of 100 years, the moon could effectively deviate from its current orbit enough to cause a problem.

meh, theorising is fun, but i just wanna see something actually happen =/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As soon as the earth goes out of orbit, we will either freeze or burn to death, well that's what I've heard before, i'm gr.9 so I'm not sure about what you said, I understand a little, but also someone told me that if 5 atom bombs were launched at around about the same time, and crash on the one side of the planet, say south, then we will go out of orbit and either freeze or burn to death like stated above.

sorry if what I said wasn't what this was about, like I said, i'm dumb.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
As soon as the earth goes out of orbit, we will either freeze or burn to death, well that's what I've heard before, i'm gr.9 so I'm not sure about what you said, I understand a little, but also someone told me that if 5 atom bombs were launched at around about the same time, and crash on the one side of the planet, say south, then we will go out of orbit and either freeze or burn to death like stated above.

sorry if what I said wasn't what this was about, like I said, i'm dumb.

if 5 atomic weapons detonated anywhere on earth at the same time, i think we would have much more pressing matters than falling out of orbit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
if 5 atomic weapons detonated anywhere on earth at the same time, i think we would have much more pressing matters than falling out of orbit.
Lol, yeah, I think you're right, but that's just something I heard, i'm sure the earth will be half the weight or something if that happens, imagine that......

Best answers
no, it'll melt the polar ice caps on Antarctica IF they all hit in the south like you said. I doubt that will knock us out of orbit, it sounds like there isnt enough power in 5 nukes to do that.

Best answers
20 nukes uld do the trick of course... ;)

Anyway:
I like the theory but if you think about it...

Only in the Inner planets and pluto have actual LAND to work on. Jupiter and the rest aren't useful enough unless we wanted more gas or something... but seriously I think I produce enough of that unnamed gas already o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
I'm a fan of the law of universal gravitation, because I like to think that I affect everything else in the universe. >:)
But the truth is that neither you nor I nor anyone else on this planet will ever do anything to affect the universe in any way. We're just that small.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well here is a thought for you guys.

Fact if the eatrh would rotate slower, the gravitational pull would be bugger. And if it was faster the pull would be weaker.

Conclusion. If you move to the east (against Earths rotation) you are heavier than if you move to the west (along with Earths rotation). Cause moving to the east you are actualy rotating at a slower speed than the earth (speed = Earth rotation speed - your movement speed) And moving to the west you are rotating faster than the rest (speed = earths rotation speed + your movement speed).

Makes a creepy kinda sense. But sadly the speed you can move at is to slow to notice the difrence in gravity

Best answers
you gotta be kidding me. I never knew that If i ran towards the west that I would run faster. I'll have to try an experiment. *Me starts running*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom