Earth and Gravitation

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
But the truth is that neither you nor I nor anyone else on this planet will ever do anything to affect the universe in any way. We're just that small.
Seems pessimistic =/. I'm sure we'll eventually get the power to destroy entire worlds. We can light a giant match on Jupiter or something and see what happens <_<.

Best answers
that'd be sweet looking. a huge planet exploding, I love every bit of it except for the whole solar system getting engulfed in the explosion.

Best answers
the earth is 5.9742 × 10^24 kilograms, we'd need to bring in a lot of crap to even come close to affecting that.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Seems pessimistic =/. I'm sure we'll eventually get the power to destroy entire worlds. We can light a giant match on Jupiter or something and see what happens <_<.
lmao

Jupiter is made of both Hydrogen and Helium gas. So I don't know if both coinside with eachother, but if they don't(which i don't think he would because helium is a noble gas). I'm sure the plantet would react in some way

As for this theory. If you added mass to the earth- how would that make us go out of orbit, or farther away from the sun?

I'm going to throw this out there: You all know that we are currently spiraling into the sun, as is everyother planet. Just like the Moon is spiraling toward us. So in essence one day (if the sun doesn't explode before then) we'll crash into the sun. I'm sure you all know this, i just thought i'd throw it out there to you all.

Best answers
no we wont, im sure the intense heat would decinegrate the planet before we reach it. and mercury would hit the sun before us, possibly causing the sun to react and explode... possibly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It might not be possible, considering energy can never be created, NOR destroyed.

So yeah, unless you can constantly transfer huge storages of energy into other use, it aint happening.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination, you couldnt be more right. As our planet slowly spirals toward a flaming fusion death, the Earth's potential energy (which I would care not to calculate atm) would be converted into kinetic energy as we accelerate into oblivion. The Earth would lose its orbit distance with the sun in exchange for more speed.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Robby said:
20 nukes uld do the trick of course... ;)
Actually no it wouldn't. Although there are still numerous theories about the extinction of the dinos a meteorite DID actually hit the Earth during the period. Somewhere in Mexico I believe. The force of the impact had more energy than several thousand nukes. Didn't knock us off course.....although it did cause a mass of energy to surge through the planet and cause a lot of volcanos in Asia to erupt.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cap J said:
Actually no it wouldn't. Although there are still numerous theories about the extinction of the dinos a meteorite DID actually hit the Earth during the period. Somewhere in Mexico I believe. The force of the impact had more energy than several thousand nukes. Didn't knock us off course.....although it did cause a mass of energy to surge through the planet and cause a lot of volcanos in Asia to erupt.
Yeah, there is a spot on earth (can't remember where) where the moon fits perfectly into. It's in the ocean somewhere i know that.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
As soon as the earth goes out of orbit, we will either freeze or burn to death, well that's what I've heard before, i'm gr.9 so I'm not sure about what you said, I understand a little, but also someone told me that if 5 atom bombs were launched at around about the same time, and crash on the one side of the planet, say south, then we will go out of orbit and either freeze or burn to death like stated above.

sorry if what I said wasn't what this was about, like I said, i'm dumb.
If 5 atomic bombs were detonated at the same time, the atmosphere will be polluted with debris and chemicals caused by the atomic bombs. In the end, it will cause what is known as a nuclear winter (think of Terminator as it was always dark when it showed the future, also think of the Animatrix when they were describing how they tried to stop the machines from gaining energy).

The gravitational pull we feel is due to the speed of the core of the Earth, plus the magnetic North and South. Increasing gravity only exists in theory as there have been many experiements to create artifical gravity, all of which have been done on a very small scale.

To suddenly increase the overall gravitational pull of the Earth would be very foolish as many people would die, and everything will be unbalanced, since everything that has existed on the Earth are used to the constant gravity.

The thing is about DragonBall Z, as someone mentioned above, if someone who weighed 200 lbs. were to be placed in an area which is 2x that of Earth's gravity, there is a good chance that person would be crushed. Not even a body builder would be able to survive or endure well in increased gravity. Not to mention if you increased gravity, it would be very difficult for people to even survive at all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
If 5 atomic bombs were detonated at the same time, the atmosphere will be polluted with debris and chemicals caused by the atomic bombs. In the end, it will cause what is known as a nuclear winter (think of Terminator as it was always dark when it showed the future, also think of the Animatrix when they were describing how they tried to stop the machines from gaining energy).

The gravitational pull we feel is due to the speed of the core of the Earth, plus the magnetic North and South. Increasing gravity only exists in theory as there have been many experiements to create artifical gravity, all of which have been done on a very small scale.

To suddenly increase the overall gravitational pull of the Earth would be very foolish as many people would die, and everything will be unbalanced, since everything that has existed on the Earth are used to the constant gravity.

The thing is about DragonBall Z, as someone mentioned above, if someone who weighed 200 lbs. were to be placed in an area which is 2x that of Earth's gravity, there is a good chance that person would be crushed. Not even a body builder would be able to survive or endure well in increased gravity. Not to mention if you increased gravity, it would be very difficult for people to even survive at all.
Is that why when astronaauts feel 3x earths gravity or more when they launch out of orbit? They don't get crushed. Anytime you move you are moving against gravity. WHen you jump you are, to an extent" trying to break free of gravities pull. Accelerating from 0-60 in 2 seconds in a car is going aginst gravity. And a bunch of other laws.

My point it, we can withstand it. And we can easily simulate gravity, because they have done it on space stations. From what I have read anyway.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
I'm going to throw this out there: You all know that we are currently spiraling into the sun, as is everyother planet. Just like the Moon is spiraling toward us. So in essence one day (if the sun doesn't explode before then) we'll crash into the sun. I'm sure you all know this, i just thought i'd throw it out there to you all.
Actually the moon is spiralling away from the earth ant a rate of 3.8cm a year.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
x2 gravity may not crush you, but it sure would keep you from doing much. Think about having to carry twice your body weight all the time. Doable, but not enjoyable.

Centrifugal force is a "centre fleeing" force, so it acts away from the centre of rotation. The way things actually work is somewhat opposite. There is a centripetal force that pulls the object towards the centre, accounting for it to curve. For example, if you have a ball attached to a string and you whirl it around in a circle, the ball will experience a centripetal force as the string pulls it toward your hand. The string experiences a centrifugal force, but since never ever have I ever (with the exception of a few topics about wave velocities) seen people ask questions to do with strings, nobody cares. Anyway, now that Ive pointlessly cleared up a common misconception, I would have to dissagree and say the centrifugal forces act like a counter-gravity, except it has nothing to do with the attraction of mass and everything to do with whirling balls attached to strings.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
isnt 2x earth's gravity 2g's?
like going on a roaller coaster, permanently, or flying a jet, making loops the whole time, etc?
If so, then vegeta trained at 600ge's, imagine that...

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
isnt 2x earth's gravity 2g's?
like going on a roaller coaster, permanently, or flying a jet, making loops the whole time, etc?
If so, then vegeta trained at 600ge's, imagine that...
Human bones will break at 45 G's or something.

If someone was going into 2 G's, it would be a hell, everything was heavier, not only you, but also the keyboard, your bag, lol, everything, I doubt people would like that, some could even die because their heart would be have to endure too much presure from the weight.

Our body is build for this kind of gravity, if it would be twice as big, you'd have a big problem.

I once saw something on Discovery Channel, that people born on a planet where the gravity is twice as big as here, that they also will be allot shorter, muscular too, heavy build, but also allot shorter, gravity doesn't allow long heights.

You'd have muscular hobbits then.

And if gravity would be half of what earth has, they would become longer, over time ofcourse, and wouldn't need as much muscle as those body-builder hobbits.

Needles to say, those guys wouldn't be able to survive on earth, while the hobbits would go mad here coz they would be overly strong.

Gotta love Discovery channel.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, where else can we get mad, gravity deprived super hobbits?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
And we can easily simulate gravity, because they have done it on space stations. From what I have read anyway.
We cannot create artificial gravity in a sense that we can increase it to be x amount of times that of Earth's. Creating artificial gravity is still only a theory.

Best answers
jp said:
Human bones will break at 45 G's or something.

If someone was going into 2 G's, it would be a hell, everything was heavier, not only you, but also the keyboard, your bag, lol, everything, I doubt people would like that, some could even die because their heart would be have to endure too much presure from the weight.

Our body is build for this kind of gravity, if it would be twice as big, you'd have a big problem.

I once saw something on Discovery Channel, that people born on a planet where the gravity is twice as big as here, that they also will be allot shorter, muscular too, heavy build, but also allot shorter, gravity doesn't allow long heights.

You'd have muscular hobbits then.

And if gravity would be half of what earth has, they would become longer, over time ofcourse, and wouldn't need as much muscle as those body-builder hobbits.

Needles to say, those guys wouldn't be able to survive on earth, while the hobbits would go mad here coz they would be overly strong.

Gotta love Discovery channel.
What kind of people would be able to endure 2g's? Bodybuilders? Though tha extra muscle might make it harder for them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom