EA Games: Buy Everything

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VALVe Partners With Electronic Arts
Yes you heard me right folks, if you go to purchase Half-Life 2 at retail soon you will be "getting in the game" with Electronic Arts. In a news ports earlier today on Gamespot they mentioned the software giant's partnership with VALVe to distribute Half-Life 2 on Xbox and as well for PC.

Today, Electronic Arts revealed that as of this fall, it will be the international publisher of the forthcoming Xbox version of Half-Life 2, which will now ship in October 2005. EA will also assume distribution duties on a new Game of the Year edition of Half-Life 2 for the PC, which will include Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, as well as Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source, in a single box.
Source.

Yaaaaay, now Half-Life 3 can be called "Half-Life 200X (x being the year it comes out) >_>"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And now I hate EA EVEN MORE...

Christ..What the hell are we going to do...

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
No big deal, it's not like valve was a good company before the partnership.

Best answers
Ok....who cares, theyve both made good games.

Stop crying.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Arthos said:
BLASPHEMY!
Mind being a bit more elaborate and not spamming?

Well, too bad for valve the partnership is only for Half-Life (I think...from what I've read for anything)

I just feel sorry for EA for being involved with Valve :p.

Valve has made mediocre games, nothing really great at all, plus as a company, from what I've seen, valve is horrible at distributing their games anyways.

Best answers
Many companies are going to be using the same way to distribute games. And Valve's "mediocre" games are the most played, even more than Battlefield 2.

I dislike Electronic Arts since they bought out a lot of good small companies. The one company they bought that really got me ignited was Westwood studios. Now, none of the original Westwood employees no longer work at Electronic Arts since they were laid off.

Even with Battlefield 2 they screwed a lot of people over. Trauma Studios (makers of the Battlefield 1942 mod, Desert Combat) played a big part in helping Electronic Arts and DICE in making Battlefield 2. Trauma Studios was supposed to have been paid a large sum of money, though Electronic Arts did not give them one dime and laid them off.

Electronic Arts does not support any of their old games and once they moved on to a new released product they abandon everything else. I will agree that they are good when it comes to business and how they get their way.

Anyway, without Valve’s “mediocre” games there would be no ESF.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OHNOES!!!!! now EA are going to screw it all up :( just like they harassed dice to release bf2 , they may do the same with some valve games.... Those EA bastards.........

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Two horrible company's collide.. I hope VALVe fire's the first missle first..

Best answers
FFS! I better not be seeing "EA GAMES! CHALLANGE EVERYTHING!!111LOL" everytime i load up a steam game >_<

Best answers
Gah, sorry Pride, I'm eating those words right now...
I've still got some hope. After reading up on the agreement, it seems as though EA is only distributing Valves games, they aren't Valves publisher. I think Valve will be self funding future games, so I'm hoping that EA will have no control what so ever of a games content and/or release date. I might be wrong, but in reading some threads on other forums about this, ID has a similar partnership with Activision. ID fund their own games, and Activision distribute. Activision don't get any creative control as far as I know.

I'm also quite interested to see if this agreement covers other games made available through Steam, such as the SiN 2 episodes. If EA is allowed to distribute those games, then it could actually be a good deal for the smaller developers that are planning on distributing through Steam -- provided EA get no control of course.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, the ONLY thing good about this is

A) The EA name will bring more people to VALVe games.
B) EA is a better distributor.

But I SWEAR! IF I SEE A GOD DAMNED "EA GAMES CHALLENGE EVERYTHING" LOGO THAT YOU CANT SKIP PAST IM GONNA KILL SOMEONE! >=O

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh God no...

Oh well... HL1 was/is aeons better than HL2 anyway. They can have Gabe Newell, I'll keep my HL1 Game of the Year edition.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm i could always see other companies wanting to get in on the steam action, cos it helps a lot with piracy issues.

but this is a stupid partnership =/

Retired
Best answers
I dunno why people are worried about EA Games Being hurt by this, wasn't like they were a good company anyway.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if they take control of steam , then all hell will brake loose , and most likely be valve's lot. Any valve related news where I see the ea logo I will just nuke as EA , well even though I play ea games (Generals , Battlefield etc) I just don't belive they should take this over , as all of valve's hard work could possibly go down the drain. And if things get out of hand with ea , then what will happen to valve ? will they survive or fall apart ?

though it may be good for a delveloper , people are just not custom to seeing the ea logo/slogan on a half-life style game.

Best answers
hmm i could always see other companies wanting to get in on the steam action, cos it helps a lot with piracy issues.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but EA won't get getting in on any Steam action. From the looks of it, the agreement is soley for EA to sell boxed copies of any games Valve make. Also, I wouldn't worry about Valve getting torn apart by EA, I've got faith enough to believe that Valve were smart enough to be very cautious when deciding the terms of the agreement.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
Okay, the ONLY thing good about this is

A) The EA name will bring more people to VALVe games.
B) EA is a better distributor.

But I SWEAR! IF I SEE A GOD DAMNED "EA GAMES CHALLENGE EVERYTHING" LOGO THAT YOU CANT SKIP PAST IM GONNA KILL SOMEONE! >=O
EA will only be distributing the games, IE no control over game making, VALVe is an LLC so EA can't buy shares and overtake them. Guy I know over at hl2.net emailed Gabe and asked about the "Challenge Everything" video, and its a big negative on it being there. They are only for distribution.

Saiyan_Overlord said:
if they take control of steam , then all hell will brake loose , and most likely be valve's lot.
EA can never control Steam, VALVe owns it, and all they are using EA for is getting their games on the shelves, they will still be doing updates/releasing content on Steam as well.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing you'll see if EA is there logo at on one of the startup screens for the X-Box version.

And I don't mind.

When you put your money into distributing a product, it would a decent reward to have your company's logo advertised.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, whats the word I am looking for...? Ah! M O N O P O L Y. :0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom