EA Games: Buy Everything

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't get it though. Why would they go with EA when they could have gone with a, well, less evil corperation.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SupaFighta said:
Many companies are going to be using the same way to distribute games. And Valve's "mediocre" games are the most played, even more than Battlefield 2.

I dislike Electronic Arts since they bought out a lot of good small companies. The one company they bought that really got me ignited was Westwood studios. Now, none of the original Westwood employees no longer work at Electronic Arts since they were laid off.

Even with Battlefield 2 they screwed a lot of people over. Trauma Studios (makers of the Battlefield 1942 mod, Desert Combat) played a big part in helping Electronic Arts and DICE in making Battlefield 2. Trauma Studios was supposed to have been paid a large sum of money, though Electronic Arts did not give them one dime and laid them off.

Electronic Arts does not support any of their old games and once they moved on to a new released product they abandon everything else. I will agree that they are good when it comes to business and how they get their way.

Anyway, without Valve’s “mediocre” games there would be no ESF.
According to [ http://www.igames.org/top20.asp ], Battlefield 2 was the top played game for the last month.

Anyhoo, people shouldn't make such a big deal out of this. They didn't (and cannot) buy Valve. And I agree with Magus--Valve sucks to begin with. =\

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
Do not pass go, do not collect VALVe
EA's message to VALVe just before sale's:
Do not pass go, do not collect $200 Million

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
According to [ http://www.igames.org/top20.asp ], Battlefield 2 was the top played game for the last month.

Anyhoo, people shouldn't make such a big deal out of this. They didn't (and cannot) buy Valve. And I agree with Magus--Valve sucks to begin with. =\
Ya, Valve sucks so bad that they made the most versatile physics engine on the market...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey atleast it's the only game with the best ragdoll physics..

Best answers
"Ya," Except they didn't? Yeah, Havok. Thought so..
Yeah, and besides, Meqon physics engine is the most advanced physics engine on the market now anyway. Valve just made good use of what they had is all.

Has anyone here actually got a good source on exactly what this partnership means? I'm still assuming that EA only have the right to distribute games, but I've not actually seen any hard evidence as of yet.

Also, anyone else think this seems like a "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer" kind of situation? Steam could in the long run be quite a threat to big publishers like EA, and so in buying the rights to distribute Valves games, any threat Steam might have posed is now gone to EA.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Think of Havok as the coders, Valve as the storyline and gimmicks, and EA as a partner in distribution.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
SupaFighta said:
Many companies are going to be using the same way to distribute games. And Valve's "mediocre" games are the most played, even more than Battlefield 2.

I dislike Electronic Arts since they bought out a lot of good small companies. The one company they bought that really got me ignited was Westwood studios. Now, none of the original Westwood employees no longer work at Electronic Arts since they were laid off.

Even with Battlefield 2 they screwed a lot of people over. Trauma Studios (makers of the Battlefield 1942 mod, Desert Combat) played a big part in helping Electronic Arts and DICE in making Battlefield 2. Trauma Studios was supposed to have been paid a large sum of money, though Electronic Arts did not give them one dime and laid them off.

Electronic Arts does not support any of their old games and once they moved on to a new released product they abandon everything else. I will agree that they are good when it comes to business and how they get their way.

Anyway, without Valve’s “mediocre” games there would be no ESF.
Valve has made mediocre games, just shoot 'em ups. That's it. The only thing Valve has done good is half assedly distributed their games that are built off of the Quake engine. (Everything on Half-Life 1 anyways, I still stand that Half-Life 2 is just a pretty looking shoot 'em up and nothing substantial)
So actually if it weren't for Quake, there'd be no ESF.

I will compliment Valve for landing the partnership with EA for distribution, since EA actually knows how to distribute games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Valve will now officially self-publish all its PC products, although the newly announced--and carefully worded--agreement will let EA "deliver a collection of Valve games to players worldwide" in the future."

That's a quote taken from a write-up at Gamespot. The feeling I get is that EA will be solely looking after the distribution of the boxed versions of all of Valves games, and that's it. I really don't think EA is gonna be doing anything else besides that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but, theres no 100% proof that EA wont try to push there position onto valve like they have done so on countless games ;_;

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I swear I would be pissed off if they put BattleField 2 in the steamlist....

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
... Thats not going to happen.

Steam is still owned by Valve, not EA. Besides, why would EA want to do something like that?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Offtopic: Magus, Alea and I = Club Valve Sucks.

Ontopic: I don't really have an opinion on this outside of it being totally not worth talking about by most of the people in this thread.

Understand the deal of things: Valve got nailed by Vivendi with that lawsuit because of their own stupidity. This careful deal with EA insures that Valve itself loses no money producing the boxes, the cd art, or the actual materials of the physical products.

Valve gets to distro through Steam and keep every ****ing penny...EA will distro the boxed games and get a cut. The deal favors both sides:

1.) Valve gets to distro through steam and never drop a dime on manufacturing and distribution costs,

2.) EA picks up the bill but also gets a hefty cut of the distribution profits for themselves--free money, since they don't have to develop the game at all and people will be buying it on half-life 2's engine alone.

If you think having the year on the end of the game name or seeing the EA logo is a viable reason to complain...well...then you're not really thinking of this properly. Besides I'd rather have EA--a company that puts out bunches of mediocre games with the occasional gem--then a Valve, who has officially spent almost a year on a single ****ing level with 'HDR' lighting that still barely holds a candle to other modern lighting engines outside of its absurdly memory-devouring bloom effect.

Besides they really aren't all that different in the long run.
EA MOTTO: "Let's spam up the industry with a bunch of out-of-house developed products!"
VALVE MOTTO: "Let's spam up fileplanet with 15 videos a day on the one single level we've been working on for over a year!"

See? They're on similar pages already. Heh.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Plus if EA put their games on Steam, that's like Sony putting their games on the Sega Saturn.. >_>

DMW

Best answers
Plus if EA put their games on Steam, that's like Sony putting their games on the Sega Saturn.
lol would it really be that bad,
Is this really that big of a deal,we know that ea is a bit greedy but they have delivered some great games,same with valve,but valve i dont think would sell cuz of hl2 success,plus there makeing a new game now (fogot the name of it,at least i think its a new game)but , i could be hoping i dont want valve to sell.I dont but if they did i wouldnt be too dissapointed.

Best answers
:shocked: dam now i realy hate EA
the buyed Westwood over it had one of my fave game NOX couldt play online for 1 2 months now the gona take valve over?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well on the upside, Half-Life 2 was a mess in the first place, judging from some of the facts I see. EA isn't going to make it any worse...except maybe their logo will raise the start up load time from 10 minutes to 15.

And DMW, I don't know if they are working on a new game. If they are it's probably going to take them ten years and it probably won't work right for the first six months, and they'll spend more time fabricating nvidia benchmarks and releasing fileplanet videos of every inch of every level of whatever they're making. So either way I don't expect this deal to affect anything any time soon.

I personally think these two were practically made for each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom