Dying good samaritan left to bleed to death as bystanders walk past

Force Pit Member
Best answers
This reminds me of a show that just started in Israel called "What would you have done?". It should be quite interesting although I haven't got to watch it yet.
Basiclly it shows staged scenarios where people should use their common sense that they need to help. Scenarios include: Husband beating and yelling at his wife in a public place. A crying baby locked in a parking car. A guy drugs a girl in a club in order to have sex with and so on.

I guess people don't respond because they are too afraid to push themselves into the mess themselves. Maybe they were frighten that some authorities would connect them to the crime.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess people don't respond because they are too afraid to push themselves into the mess themselves. Maybe they were frighten that some authorities would connect them to the crime.
I don't think they did. I think they thought "Oh, this is a homeless guy, he probably brought it on to himself".

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I don't think they did. I think they thought "Oh, this is a homeless guy, he probably brought it on to himself".
I don't think people are that stupid to reach such a generalized and fast conclusion when it comes to life at stake.

Last edited:

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a similar incident involving a rape that happened last year:

For more than two hours on a dark Saturday night, as many as 20 people watched or took part as a 15-year-old California girl was allegedly gang raped and beaten outside a high school homecoming dance, authorities said.

As hundreds of students gathered in the school gym, outside in a dimly lit alley where the victim was allegedly raped, police say witnesses took photos. Others laughed.

"As people announced over time that this was going on, more people came to see, and some actually participated," Lt. Mark Gagan of the Richmond Police Department told CNN.

The witnesses failed to report the crime to law enforcement, Gagan said. The victim remained hospitalized in stable condition. Police arrested five suspects and more arrests were expected.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/28/california.gang.rape.bystander/

According to the article linked above, this phenomenon is known as the "bystander effect" (wiki).

Either way, don't assume that you would have aided the victim in either situation. While we all would like to think we would have, don't forget that we often view these situations in hindsight. That is, viewing the situation after the fact, after it had occurred.

I don't think people are that stupid to reach such a generalized and fast conclusion when it comes to life and stake.
But they do, though stupidity has nothing to do with it.

I think it's worth considering how law enforcement officers, doctors, nurses, paramedics, fire fighters, service members and the like are trained. In that they are trained to overcome their natural reactions to situations they're expected to be confronted with in their chosen profession. So that, when confronted with said situations, they react without hesitation.

For the average Joe and Jane, as I see it, most people have to consciously override their natural reactions to these situations in order to act.

This is why I strongly recommend anyone to undergo first aid and CPR training. While you won't receive the same training as a doctor, nurse or paramedic, you'll be more capable of dealing with these situations than someone who doesn't have any training at all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think people are that stupid to reach such a generalized and fast conclusion when it comes to life and stake.
I'm certain about that. Because it's a homeless man they won't help him. You know... He is rather "useless" or someone you make fun of for some people.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People are ****ing retarded, if someone is lying in a pool of blood and people are laughing, i don't give a **** i'll call the god damn ambulance.

man, people ****ing fail these days D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't imagine myself just watching as someone bleeds to death. I mean, I'd at least bring popcorn.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a similar incident involving a rape that happened last year:
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/28/california.gang.rape.bystander/
According to the article linked above, this phenomenon is known as the "bystander effect" (wiki).
Yeah, I remember that story. Had a good talk with a sociology professor about dissolution of responsibility as well. The more people there are around to "help" the less likely someone will because they just assume somebody else will.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Something about all this makes me really sick and pissed at humanity.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Something about all this makes me really sick and pissed at humanity.
I'd recommend against ever taking any social psych courses, then :p

Microbio aside, I think I enjoyed my brief foray into social psych the most in my undergraduate studies. It's... unsettling to learn about the sheer number of so-called social psychological "forces" that exert themselves on people without their knowledge of them. Hell, even after studying them, I still find myself falling into the same traps I learned about just under 3 years ago. I don't begrudge people or get "pissed" at them for falling victim to these sorts of things; they are just so ubiquitous and so ingrained.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Maj, my English teacher would orgasm after she will hear from you which words you choose, not kidding.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have to agree with the majority here, it probably was like a combination of the guy being homeless (and the natural "repulsion" most people feel about the subject and the people) and of fear. However I would not say it was fear of being connected to the crime, more like a fear of what happened, the situation presenting a potential life-threatening danger to oneself (man was injured - even if it does not seem rational). Now I would not pretend that I would help a homeless person lying on the sidewalk (although I would like to think I would), but seeing the pool of blood, I mean who doesn't call 911 then?

Same as a few month back, in Russia, drunk girl falls on the tracks at a metro station with the train approaching, and about 6-7 people standing there just watch as she gets rolled over.... just standing there and watching... They say our generations is "immune" to horror through all the things we see every day, I mean is there anyone who hasn't seen a thousand people die in a movie, or hell even in real life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom