Duke Nukem Forever.... is coming out. Brought to you by Gearbox.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, the guys from Borderlands.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/3d-realmss-george-broussard-announces-that-pigs-fly/2512/

http://kotaku.com/5629655/your-first-look-at-duke-nukem-forever-in-action

Yes, Gearbox Software really is turning the perpetual vaporware Duke Nukem Forever into a real live video game bound for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

But talk is cheap, that's why we have gameplay footage as seen on 2K's official live stream of their PAX booth.

Leather-clad fists? Check! Urinals? Check! Hailing to the King? Unconfirmed.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, this has been known for months. Anyways, I'm not impressed.

Sure, it was kinda fun and hilarious in it's day, but these days, we have standards, and if it thinks it can release with the same cheesy gameplay and style of the 1990's, then they have another thing coming to em when the sales flop, and it's pirated more than Spore.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This has not been known for months. There was speculation, no confirmation.

This is the first gameplay footage after Gearbox took hold of it. And George Broussard's tweet about flying pigs was from 2 days ago.

EDIT:

http://kotaku.com/5628894/its-official-duke-nukem-forever-coming-from-gearbox-software

2K Games has made it official. Duke Nukem Forever is alive and, well, in the hands of developer Gearbox Software, confirming our earlier reports that the Borderlands studio was helping to complete the game's absurdly long development cycle.

The publisher announced this morning in advance of PAX 2010 that Gearbox Software was on the job, picking up where developer 3D Realms left off. Gearbox plans to ship the game within the next year, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal—the WSJ says DNF is due "next year" and "currently expected to ship in 2010."
Known for months, my ass.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're using the IP to sell a flimsy game, and that is my problem. Also...

Speculation? When Gearbox says it purchased the rights to Duke Nukem Forever, months ago, that's just "Speculation" a game would come of it? =/

The gameplay footage looks like a gimped version of Half-Life 2. Also, there is only ONE King I shall hail to, and his name is Ash. Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This week, rumor involving people serious about publishing games, and with a serious record of bringing good ones to market, once again revives Duke's credibility. Take-Two Interactive retains the publishing rights to the franchise, whose brand name remains compelling despite 12 years of broken promises. And Gearbox, fresh off its smash hit Borderlands, published by Take-Two, is said to have picked up the game's development. Gearbox chief Randy Pitchford declined comment but said more news might be coming at this year's Penny Arcade Expo in September.
From August 14th. Gearbox doesn't own the rights to Duke Nukem, Take-Two does. Gearbox is developing it and have declined commenting on even doing so until today.

How did you come to the conclusion that it's a flimsy game, by the way? Purely by its development cycle?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think he just hates great things. I grew up with Duke Nukem, I'd be ecstatic to see a new game after all this time.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't care even if the whole game sucks i'll buy it just to hear more of Duke's one liners.
"It's my way or..... hell it's MY way!"

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A rushed shooter with Duke Nukem pasted on?

"EAT **** AND DIE!"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"I'm going to rip off your head and **** down your neck."

Oh and..

HAIL TO THE KING, BABY.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Worth a double post. And I couldn't be arsed editing.

I unloaded my ammo into him, waited for the next ammo drop, and then fired some more. Duke finished him with a button-prompted melee move.

The finale: press a button to do a "field goal," which is a punt of the monster's eye down the field.

Cue the Duke Nukem Forever logo and a camera pulls back to show that Duke, in first-person, was playing a video game. He's got a gold Xbox 360 controller with the face buttons re-named as D, U, K and E. There's a busty lady in a schoolgirl outfit near the bottom of your first-person view. And there's a second one. One stands up and wipes her mouth.

"What about the game, was it any good?" one of them asks.

"Yeah, but after 12 ****ing years it should be," he answers.
http://kotaku.com/5629782/duke-nukem-forever-impressions-two-girls-one-duke

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BALLS OF STEEL!

YES! Duke Nukem is back!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Sure, it was kinda fun and hilarious in it's day, but these days, we have standards, and if it thinks it can release with the same cheesy gameplay and style of the 1990's, then they have another thing coming to em when the sales flop, and it's pirated more than Spore.
You obviously have no idea how much nostalgic value the Duke Nukem series has. Hell, even the recently released remake of Monkey Island was pretty popular. When nostalgia comes into play, our standards are often thrown out the nearest window.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
You obviously have no idea how much nostalgic value the Duke Nukem series has. Hell, even the recently released remake of Monkey Island was pretty popular. When nostalgia comes into play, our standards are often thrown out the nearest window.
Totally true. Sometimes you remember that awesome game you played as a kid and want to try it again but most of the time they don't work properly(unless you use DOSBox) or have been run over by time, so when a new game of the same series or a remake comes by you naturally want to have it, especially when you remember how much fun you had. I remember i used to spend hours screwing around on the second lvl(first scenario) of Duke Nukem 3D.Getting in secret rooms,playing pool,tipping strippers... and at the time i played it i was only 6 years old.... xD (somehow strippers and 6 years old don't fit in the same sentence)

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Starcraft II says hi.

Also, this has not been known for months, it was speculation.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only people who say StarCraft II has the same gameplay as SC1 are trolls, and those who haven't played SC1 in years. It's incredibly different in the SP, and MP wise the entire strategy has changed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well. We got Street Fighter, Tekken, Starcraft, Warcraft, WarHammer,Half life,and Pokemon even.

Games from the 90's and 80's that are still played constantly.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only people who say StarCraft II has the same gameplay as SC1 are trolls, and those who haven't played SC1 in years. It's incredibly different in the SP, and MP wise the entire strategy has changed.
I beg to differ. Despite a few mechanic changes which changes how you play a race, it's still basically the same thing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gearbox Software now owns Duke Nukem.

Following the confirmation on Friday that Gearbox is reviving Duke Nukem Forever, the studio now says it owns Duke. Gearbox obtained the rights to "Duke Nukem and all future projects" from former franchise owner 3D Realms.
http://kotaku.com/5630726/gearbox-software-now-owns-duke-nukems-future

Awesome. Randy Pitchford used to work for 3D Realms and I believe he worked on Duke Nukem 3D as well. Couldn't think of a better developer to pass the torch to.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think its kind of silly how people expect revolutionary gameplay from the duke nukem series, even in its prime it didnt offer anything new to the genre.

duke is all about being cheesy, and nostalgia at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom