Duel Mode

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've heard enough about people getting pissed off when they are trying to have a 1 on 1 in a free for all server and someone gets in the way by using a beam or attacks using melee as well.

So....I got this idea from Jedi Academy. I was thinking that you can have a duel mode. What I was thinking is this....

Your opponent is in sight. The crosshairs are red. You wanna fight him but there are other n00bs around that will more than likely get in your way.

So, you use a command to send a message to the person thats in your red crosshairs. A simple Yes or no Question would come up.

~Kai~|Kagato has challenged you to a fight. Do you accept?

1. Yes
2. No

"Yes" would make everyone else on the screen look all faded, so even though you can still see them fight, the only one you can touch is the one you're dueling. It works the opposite way as well. If you're not in a duel...the people who ARE in a duel would look faded. You could watch them still, but you couldn't hurt them.

The duel works just like a normal fight. Its just you can only hurt your opponent and no one else. Once the opponent is killed, a message can come up in the log box at the top-left saying something like

~Kai~|Kagato killed ESFn00b in a duel

Now if your opponent selects "no" instead, then nothing will happen obviously.

Now there's the risk that you could be spammed with duel challenges....but that why I suggested that the scouter be used to challenge people. That way you can't go in the console and challenge someone over and over. He has to actually be standing still.

If more than one person challenges you, than the one who tried challenging you 2nd, third, ect, would get a message saying that a challenge could not be made at this time or something.

Also, when a duel is completed, you get a few seconds of invulnerability so that anyone watching you can't hit you with a beam the moment you finish a duel. So it'll be your chance to get away.

anway....thats my suggstion d-(o_O)-b

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
seems like a good idea to have , also for all the practice newbies will need (so newbies will stick to fighting other newbies and pros verse pros). Also makes some people in servers a little less , well , insulting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Great idea, I used to play JKA a lot and duel challenges always worked very well in there, and I think they could work very well in ESF too. I think this would solve a lot of problems.

However, one might argue that it would simply be easier to get one server specifically designed for 1 vs 1 matches, instead of having to code something like a duel mode. But, of course, this would not have the benefit of being able to house multiple duels in the same server.

Best answers
Not a bad idea...I'm sure how effective it will be but its certainly worth a try. The main reason this is so effective in jka is because of the "safe" zones the community has agreed to. Though I suppose it could be workable here....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DaRkOwNs said:
it kinda defeats the purpose of free for all though
No it doesn't.

In Jedi Academy, most servers are Free for All. That allows you to go around and look for a Duel partner. If you were in teams, it would just complicate matters.

The same could work for ESF.

The Duel Challenge is optional. You just fly around the server and can FFA if you want to, or you can find a duel partner. You issue a Challenge to someone (see Logan's explanation) and if he accepts, you both are shielded off from the other players and cannot hurt them, or be hurt by them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly. That way, people who want to have a clan try-out or a 1 on 1 can do so in a free for all server without being interrupted. Its ideal for those who don't have access to a server or can't create one on their own and have it closed for a private match.

Doing this will make everyone happy. the pros can have their 1 on 1 fights and the others can fly around and blow up people as they wish.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
love the idea :yes:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love the idea. Though what moves would be available in a duel? All of them or just gen beam, kiblast and melee?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
I love the idea. Though what moves would be available in a duel? All of them or just gen beam, kiblast and melee?
Good question.

I think the easiest would be to just keep all the attacks, and the two duellists can decide beforehand what rules they want to go by, regarding attacks etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's to stop a couple of people from abusing the invulerability, or popup features?

Theoretical situation. Beamspammer and a friend join the server. Beamspammer starts spamming the map. Whenever someone approaches him, his friend invites him into a duel and he accepts, thus becoming untouchable, just to piss you off.

Here's another one. I just hit you with simple melee, you are flying back. While you are flying back I challenge you to a duel, making you have to choose either yes or no. While you are doing that I am already on my way to kick your distracted butt, so even if you accept I still have the first edge.

And another one. Let's say I hit accept by accident. I don't want to be stuck in a duel with you when I didn't mean to hit accept. Do I have to fight you, and just you, to the death just because I clicked wrong?

Yet another situation. You challenge me to a duel. I start running away and make you chase me for a good 45 minutes, while you're stuck only being able to fight me.

What's to stop me from targeting people just coming out of advanced melee? Or messing up someone's swoop with a 'yes/no' popup while they are heading towards me?

Why wouldn't I keep challenging a player weaker than me?

I don't know man. There's a lot to think about bug/abuse wise. I also have to say, I think the game is a bit too fast paced in the deathmatch setting to really merit public server duels of this sort.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In Jedi Academy, if both duellists grow a certain distance from each other, the duel is severed. However, since this would obviously not work for ESF, I suggest that there should either be a timer: if one player does not move for xx amount of time, the duel is severed.

Also, in regards to your complaints about the challenge message being obnoxious: this should not have to be. AMX Mod X uses a white menu type thing in the left area of the screen, it should be possible to get something like that for the duel mode as well. Such a menu does not prohibit your movement in any way. The only disadvantage I could see this have is that, if the menu would look like this, for example..

Shiyojin|Rommyu has Challenged you to a Duel.
Accept?
1. No.
2. Yes.

..then you would be unable to press 1 or 2, in order to select attacks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain...Jesus christ man....don't look on the bad side of things. Thats all you did o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Logan289 said:
Pain...Jesus christ man....don't look on the bad side of things. Thats all you did o_O
It's good to be critical, otherwise people will never agree on things and the game might end up unbalanced. I love your idea because I know how well it works in JKA, we just need to convince others that it could also work for ESF. Let them ask questions. :3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Logan289 said:
Logan, that's my job. I'm supposed to seek out and identify bugs. It's what I do. :p

As for the text-only challenge thing. It's also possible that someone goes to switch their weapon and accidentaly accepts the challenge.

*edit*
@Dave, pressing k to accept, and whatever else to decline is still a distraction. I think most of my crits are still valid.
*edit2*
Than I stand corrected, Dave. It looks like most of my crits were eliminated :p.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Pain, duels in jk are initiated and accepted by pressing k, that sorts out the majority of your criticisms.

If a beamspammer accepts the duel with his friend, one of them will have to kill the other before they can kill anybody else, during a duel, you cant touch any other player apart from the one you're dueling with till one of you is dead. Plus i think that you should only be able to accept the duels if you're not immobile at anytime, so all you have to do is teleport to one of them hit them and they wont be able to start a duel.

Also maybe you dont get powerlevel from duels? that'd mean there wud be no point beating down the weaker players, and also would make duel mode really handy for clan matches and tournaments. If you wanna beat down weaker players for kills, you might as well not waist time dueling, and they'll probably decline your duel if you've kicked their ass anyway.

Could always be server side cvar too.

@Pain: Pressing K is only to accept, you can just ignore it and that means the duel is declined, thats how it works in jk

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Well Pain, duels in jk are initiated and accepted by pressing k, that sorts out the majority of your criticisms.

If a beamspammer accepts the duel with his friend, one of them will have to kill the other before they can kill anybody else, during a duel, you cant touch any other player apart from the one you're dueling with till one of you is dead. Plus i think that you should only be able to accept the duels if you're not immobile at anytime, so all you have to do is teleport to one of them hit them and they wont be able to start a duel.

Also maybe you dont get powerlevel from duels? that'd mean there wud be no point beating down the weaker players, and also would make duel mode really handy for clan matches and tournaments. If you wanna beat down weaker players for kills, you might as well not waist time dueling, and they'll probably decline your duel if you've kicked their ass anyway.

Could always be server side cvar too.
Great additions to an already great idea. :yes: Good work, keep 'em coming. I had forgotten that, in JKA, you indeed initiate and accept challenges with the same button, which works very well.

I think that if a person does not press the accept button within, say, 20-30 seconds, the challenge is automatically declined. It would eliminate the need for a 'decline challenge' button, though there could be one of the team would so desire it.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the challenge is always declined untill the player has accepted anyway, if you move away or hit somebody else the challenge disappears. I played a lot of jk... personally I think duels in ffa servers are the best part of the game. Thats because i love off no force saber duels though =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
It's good to be critical, otherwise people will never agree on things and the game might end up unbalanced. I love your idea because I know how well it works in JKA, we just need to convince others that it could also work for ESF. Let them ask questions. :3
I know, but he didn't comment on anything he might have liked about it. Its good to be critical, but on both ends. Otherwise you'll seem biased or oblivious.

Best answers
A solution for the "yes/no" spam could be the same way jka deals with it. In order to actually accept a duel you must press the "challenge" button while aiming at them within three or so seconds. The default bind for this key is out of the way to avoid accidental accepts. I can't tell you how many times I've been kicking someones butt in jka so they throw me a duel request and I chuckle as I chop off their head.

The running...hell people will do that whether in a duel or not. You learn after the first duel not to duel that person.

As for the beamspammers using it to avoid fighting...Thats a tough one, but a valid point. The only real thing I can think of for this one is have it off by default and let server owners decide to turn it on. That way it can be stressed that if the option is on it would be a good idea to have it admin'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom