Duel / CTDB mode hybrid

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Idea by Zeonix and Sub

Two options. Team based mode or 1 v 1 mode. This can be changed through a cvar or by choosing it before starting a server

Team based mode:
- Round based mode
- 7 rounds minimum, 13 rounds maximum
- Teams start on opposite side of map, face each other until only one is left
- Winner of this gets a dragonball
- This continues until one team has 7 wins under its belt
- The team that gets the 7 wins votes on a wish
- Wishes shall give a certain benefit to the entire team.
- Wishes carry over from round to round until the next wish is made
- There will be a cvar to keep wishes, even after the next wish is made. This will be turned off by default.
- PL carries over from round to round until the next wish is made
- Auto team-balance every 10 wishes. This can be turned on or off through a cvar

1 v 1 mode:
- Round based mode
- Two players start off on opposite ends of map. Everyone else is spectator mode
- Winner of the 1 v 1 scores one dragonball
- Loser goes to spectator mode and another player takes his place
- The first person to get 7 wins will get to choose a wish
- Wishes shall give a certain benefit to this player
- Wishes carry over from round to round until the next wish is made
- There will be a cvar to keep wishes, even after the next wish is made. This will be turned off by default.
- PL resets for each 1 v 1

***THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN IDEA AND ALL IDEAS RELATING TO IT ARE UP FOR DEBATE***
- If one player keeps winning all of his 1 v 1's, there shall be an event which I'll call the ultimate showdown.
- Once the player wishes for his next wish, the next round shall be team based. Every player in the server will be on one team with the exception of the player who keeps winning. Everyone teams up to take down the good player.
- If this player loses, he sits out. If he wins, he sits out. This is to give everyone a fair chance to play

Wishes
- Invincibility for x amount of time (You can still be hit with simple melee, you just won't take damage)
- A PL bonus
- Extra points on the scoreboard
- Invisibility for x amount of time (The player will still appear on the radar)
- Decreased ki drain
- Faster swooping speeds
- Infinite stamina (or perhaps double, depending on how important stamina turns out to be)
- Mind Control (Stealing another teams member. The member who you steal shall be determined by a vote)
- ***NEED MORE WISH IDEAS!!!***

This will not replace CTDB mode. It is merely a hybrid of CTDB mode and the duel mode that the team wanted to implement.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
We're adding to it as I type this, so you may need to re-read the original post to see what we added, especially in terms of wishes.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's complete now, except the possibility of more wishes.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I noticed a lot of people looking at the thread, but no one has said anything in public. I mean, thanks for IMing me and saying you like it, but feel free to post your approval in the thread as well.

Please?

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome idea, excellent way of incorporating CTDB into something more playable. I think, in the ultimate showdown, the lone warrior should be granted some reward for having defeated an entire team as well as sitting out. It would seem easier just to die and sit out, should give them something to annihilate for other than skill rep.

my 2 cents of wishes-
How about a Rage or Bloodlust? Double damage or something
Or a Turbo wish - increase movement/attackspeed.

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The idea sound good to me, specialy 1 vs 1, it really makes a good challange for better players.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome idea, excellent way of incorporating CTDB into something more playable. I think, in the ultimate showdown, the lone warrior should be granted some reward for having defeated an entire team as well as sitting out. It would seem easier just to die and sit out, should give them something to annihilate for other than skill rep.

my 2 cents of wishes-
How about a Rage or Bloodlust? Double damage or something
Or a Turbo wish - increase movement/attackspeed.
That was really my main issue with Ultimate Showdown. I felt like we were punishing the player for being too good, which is kinda ****ty. At the same time, if that player is kicking everyone's ass, it doesn't give other players the opportunity to compete against each other. It's a catch-22 for me. I was thinking maybe Ultimate Showdown could be a separate mode altogether.

I don't know. We'll keep thinking about it and making changes.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Its hard to think of a reward that doesnt further handicap the team, but still gives the unstoppable player motivation to slaughter. When you think about it, the lone warrior should get a substantial PL boost for killing so many in a single life anyway. The team is damaged enough through humiliation and even frustration. That should be a reward in itself. If the team wins, they should all get a PL boost.

Perhaps an added scoresheet item? A 'Massacre' and/or "Survivor" score or something similiar. The lone warrior earns a Massacre point for killing the team. If he loses, the remaining team members earn a Survivor point. These points then added someway to a total perhaps.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Its hard to think of a reward that doesnt further handicap the team, but still gives the unstoppable player motivation to slaughter. When you think about it, the lone warrior should get a substantial PL boost for killing so many in a single life anyway. The team is damaged enough through humiliation and even frustration. That should be a reward in itself. If the team wins, they should all get a PL boost.

Perhaps an added scoresheet item? A 'Massacre' and/or "Survivor" score or something similiar. The lone warrior earns a Massacre point for killing the team. If he loses, the remaining team members earn a Survivor point. These points then added someway to a total perhaps.
And all of that is why I think it should be a separate game mode, in the vein of a Juggernaut mode.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said on AIM, I'm indifferent toward this. It could suck, or it could be hella fun. It could go either way. I'm not sure many people will use this mode. It's like DBZ football, which raises the question: why not just play a football game? It's definitely something new and creative, but I can't predict how it will affect the game. If anything, this is a good way for noobs to learn to play, with a full team of people at their backs. However, the 1v1 mode will make for a nice duel system.

Those are my thoughts.

Edit: Oh and about the Ultimate Showdown mode, I think it'd be good for some laughs. But to fix that "punishing" feeling, you could give him more health than everyone else. You know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I dont like the idea of wishes giving an already "Dominate" team more of an advantage..

I think it would be better of the team that summons a dragon ball gets a point..

It would also balance things out, to have all survivors of the winning team, NOT HAVE their health restored, and their pl reset. The people who died get both restored health and reset PL.

This would give the losing team a better chance.

I mean, with how you suggested the idea, this mode wouldn't really have an equal playing field or be fun for the losing team.. seriously its esf. You either dominate or fail(another problem with esf)

the 1v1 mode was STOLEN from me <_< i wants my creds.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
One of the wishes is a point. As it stands, ctdb already gives you the ability to gain more pl, so I don't see why someone shouldn't be able to choose that or a status effect. If you force the winning team to keep whatever health they have left in addition to losing their pl, you're effectively punishing them for winning, and giving the advantage to the losing team, assuming of course the point wish were to be the only wish. You've just reversed our idea, putting the advantage in the hands of the team that doesn't deserve it.

If you're thinking team a is ridiculously better than team b, what happens when team a and team b are fairly equal in skill? Why should anyone but the winner get an advantage in that case? They fought hard, and they earned the right to a single wish.

People who play this game seem to only be happy when they're winning. I'm not going to break the system so that it imitates our PC society where everyone wins and gets a trophy, no matter how bad you are at whatever game it is you lost.

I didn't realize you created every sport known to mankind, Jinx. I'll give you credit for the idea when the founders of every sport with a ball credit you for their ideas.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I invented a sucking game too o_O u should come ova so we can play.

Zeo its not punishing them.. maybe taking PL away might be too much.. but they shouldn't have their health restored for surviving.

Since when was esf balanced... O_O?? isn't the reason esf depopulated was becuz of a "HUGE CONtRAST IN SKILL LEVEL?" when esf 1.3 comes out.. dont you think their will STILL be a "HUGE CONTRAST IN SKILL LEVEL?" oldies familiar with the game will come back, while new players will come to get pumbled..

So ide suggest making the game fun for the new comer along with the experienced player, or else the game could end up as an update for the few who play it..

People who play this game seem to only be happy when they're winning.
Good point, i wonder how the team being blown out will feel as they play if they stand no chance. The odds that teams will be even are low simply becuz of the various skill levels..

Why not have a mode that can be fun for all? Challenging for the experience player.. Not impossible for the new player

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't make sense to reset everyone's pl every single round, Jinx. After a match is over, it's over, so everything obviously gets reset. What you're basically saying is when we have a 1 on 1, we should rejoin the server every time I get a frag, "to keep esf balanced". It's a ridiculous notion, and I don't intend to change it.

You keep saying team a will blow team b out of the water but I rarely ever see this happen. In the event that it does:

- Auto team-balance every 10 wishes. This can be turned on or off through a cvar
Obviously 10 wishes isn't engraved in stone, and can be changed by the admin of the server. If team a has the best players in the world and consistently beats team b, the players get shuffled. The auto-balance feature isn't there for ****s and giggles.

If what you're saying regarding team a completely devastating team b is the case, then it obviously isn't challenging for the former, and obviously won't be fun for the latter. No amount of "balancing" will change that. You'd have to cripple the pros to put them on an even playing ground. That's just how it is. You're assuming there won't be very many people when 1.3 is released. I'm assuming there will be quite a few new players, who will obviously play with people who have similar skill levels. Pros tend not to flock to new players, so we'd be fighting each other. That's where the balance is. Unless you're pitting the best players against the worst players, we'll be choosing our opponents for the most part.

Last edited:
ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
a pro will always own a newb.
In any game.

Anyways ... I'll bring this up at the next team meeting :)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
A lot of new players? to play on how many new servers?? or maybe just the main servers that have existed will beused... unless new players find the game fun enought to make more servers of their own..

I dont see anything wrong with the theme, "The better you are" the more challenging it gets for this particular TEAM Based Mode... NOT the "1v1" you spoke of here.

What you're basically saying is when we have a 1 on 1, we should rejoin the server every time I get a frag, "to keep esf balanced".

You can have balance between experienced players and new players. Ide at least create/edit the mode to prevent "supporting" domination and actually support challenging gameplay where you stand a chance especially when your with your team.

ofc A game mode isn't where most of the balances should be made.. they should be in a swoops, melee, and beams..

As for a 10 wish auto balance.. maybe some people will say bs and leave far before that.

In my opinion.. Wishes could grant 1 Team Point, along with a choice of certain kinds of powerups on the field or some kind of Villian interference....

Powerup icons could appear on the stage(random locations) during the round AFTER the wish.. and whoever grabs them first can use it.

As for the Villian interferance.. it could be some buffed bot with super powers who goes around beating up who ever gets in itz way..(This is what i mean by fun for all)

This prevents a COMPLETE domination effect.. and allows the other team to make use of the wishes too.

Anywho thatz my input..

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
A lot of new players? to play on how many new servers?? or maybe just the main servers that have existed will beused... unless new players find the game fun enought to make more servers of their own..

1.3 isn't a patch. It's a new release. Regardless of how good or bad the game is, there will be a huge influx of people, both new and old, and many of them will either purchase servers or create private servers with which to play with their friends.

I dont see anything wrong with the theme, "The better you are" the more challenging it gets for this particular TEAM Based Mode... NOT the "1v1" you spoke of here.

I don't know what you're talking about.

You can have balance between experienced players and new players. Ide at least create/edit the mode to prevent "supporting" domination and actually support challenging gameplay where you stand a chance especially when your with your team.

No you can't. Experienced players will always be far better than new players because, get this, they have more experience. If you put a rifle in the hands of an inexperienced person and tell him to try to take down a world-class sniper before before he, himself, dies, chances are he isn't going to make it. That's just the way experience works. The only way to "balance" this, would be to give either the new person an advantage, an experienced person a disadvantage, or both. This isn't fair to the person who took the time to learn the game/skill/whatever.

ofc A game mode isn't where most of the balances should be made.. they should be in a swoops, melee, and beams..

Obviously, but the game mode needs to be balanced nevertheless.

As for a 10 wish auto balance.. maybe some people will say bs and leave far before that.

Read:

Obviously 10 wishes isn't engraved in stone, and can be changed by the admin of the server. If team a has the best players in the world and consistently beats team b, the players get shuffled. The auto-balance feature isn't there for ****s and giggles.
In my opinion.. Wishes could grant 1 Team Point, along with a choice of certain kinds of powerups on the field or some kind of Villian interference....

You just restated our idea, and pretended it is your own. Good job.

Powerup icons could appear on the stage(random locations) during the round AFTER the wish.. and whoever grabs them first can use it.

No. Then you'd just have teams spawn camping, waiting to hoard power ups, making for a very boring match. Happens in Halo all the time.

As for the Villian interferance.. it could be some buffed bot with super powers who goes around beating up who ever gets in itz way..(This is what i mean by fun for all)

No.

This prevents a COMPLETE domination effect.. and allows the other team to make use of the wishes too.

If the other team wants a wish, they need to step up their game. I don't remember Frieza asking Vegeta if there was anything he'd like before he used all of his wishes.

Anywho thatz my input..

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Go play super smash bros.. you can stand a chance because the game is simple, indepth and balanced.

on esf' 1.2's current state, you dont stand a chance, its complexity and extreme manual labor...creates a steep slope for the playing field..

You just restated our idea, and pretended it is your own. Good job.
Not, nothing about grabbable powerup icons was in the first post.

As for the spawn points FOR the icons.. i suggested "random spawn points".. to be more exact the icons don't just appear before a round.. they appear randomly during the midst of the round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom