Drinks for everyone!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
3 years.

Thats how long I have played the game of ESF.

3 years.

Thats how long my frame rate has been at a constant 20 FPS (or lower).

Kami Sama, a well respected ESF player who seems to have gone the way of the dinos told me that my performance will go up 100x if I got my FPS as high as 60.

Recently I ran into someone on the esforces forum by the name of Kenny83. I had asked him how he was able to get a constant 100 FPS. He had PMed me back giving me directions on what to do....sort of. I didn't really understand all too well. However, desperate to try one more time at getting my FPS higher (I've made several attempts. all failed) I decided to try once more.

Googled - half-life fps tweak and found nothing useful after several pages. I had just about given up. But then I decided to try askjeeves.com hoping I'd get better results.

Ask Jeeves - how do I tweak my fps in half-life?

The 2nd hit I found gave me some console commands that were still very familiar to me. Things like "fps_max 100" and such were listed. I've already tried all of them and they all failed. However, I found one command I have never even seen or heard of. No one even told me about it.

fps_modem 60

I put that in my console and BAM! Fps jumps up to 60. I was in sheer amazement.

fps_modem 100

That did it. FPS is now 100. Constant. My FPS has jumped up 5 times. I quickly went into a random server to play. It felt like I was playing in my own server. Everything ran silky smooth. It was as if ping didn't matter anymore.

My ping was at 200 in that server and I didn't even feel it...usually I could feel lag effects after 100 ping. It seems thats no longer the case anymore.

20 FPS for 3 years. Can you believe I was able to even play at that rate? And now its gone up by 5 times all because of 1 simple command.

fps_modem 100

So may this be a lesson to everyone with FPS issues. Give that command a try and make sure it's saved in your config.

Do a little dance
make a little love
get down tonight!
get down tonight!!!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well im happy for you. And i belive you could play with 20 FPS that long. Im playing ESF with that FPS since i started >.>

And befor you say try to command. I did long ago. It just didnt help ;)

In any case. BOTTOMS UP!!!!!
/drinks/

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just gave a bot a quick ass kciking. That command does seem to really speed up play for me, and I like to run esf with some aa and af turned on, and hte game runs smoother and you can notice the difference. Thanks for this command :').
Grega said:
Well im happy for you. And i belive you could play with 20 FPS that long. Im playing ESF with that FPS since i started >.>

And befor you say try to command. I did long ago. It just didnt help ;)

In any case. BOTTOMS UP!!!!!
/drinks/
Maybe your 500mhz pc has it's bottlenecks :p.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see how ping could be measured in fps, but... Congratulations on fixing your problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
I don't see how ping could be measured in fps, but... Congratulations on fixing your problem.
sorry. thats a typo for me.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
still the same for me im afraid =[ but im more concerned with my 300 ping... it should be <30 but these days its random >_< and yes... i have checked for spyware and virus's/trojans etc.... :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
still the same for me im afraid =[ but im more concerned with my 300 ping... it should be <30 but these days its random >_< and yes... i have checked for spyware and virus's/trojans etc.... :(
That used to happen to me too. I could never find the solution.

My advise is just to wait it out.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
Maybe your 500mhz pc has it's bottlenecks :p.

Nah the CPU is OK. Its the GFX card. I have a 4x AGP slot on my mainboard and a GFX card that requires a 8x AGP slot. So that knocks my FPS down bigtime :p

In any case since im back in here

BOTTOMS UP again!!!

/drinks/:p

Best answers
It all depends on what mod of HL you're playing...

CS = max_fps 100, with vsync off.

/Edit

For high pingers, depending on whether it's your ISP or where the distance of the server you're connected to, set your rates higher. It won't fix your ping problems but it will update your position and the other players' positions on the map.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
Nah the CPU is OK. Its the GFX card. I have a 4x AGP slot on my mainboard and a GFX card that requires a 8x AGP slot. So that knocks my FPS down bigtime :p

In any case since im back in here

BOTTOMS UP again!!!

/drinks/:p
That won't knock your frames per second down any, as all AGP 8x cards are backwards compatible. Not only that, but I doubt that any video card out can fully utilize the bandwidth of even 4x AGP.

Best answers
well now now, the fps_modem 100 didn't help me at all, no change to fps :'o(

nge

Best answers
Fps_modem is essentially the same command as FPS_max.

There are 2 variables you ALWAYS want at 101. Those would be, fps_modem and fps_lan. The modem one determines your max fps in an online setting, and the lan one is for lan games.

They're really rather pointless commands, but can end up screwing with you as they did logan should you not take the time to set them right. No matter what you set your fps_max to, it will only go as high as your fps_modem/fps_lan will allow.

These commands are not tweaks- if yours was already set high it isn't going to change the fact that the game runs at 23 fps on your 8 year old dell. They're just commands one has to be aware of in order to maximise your fps_potential.

Yes, I realize what I just said sounds like a tweak, however these will not improve your systems performance. Instead, they'll allow it to perform up to the potential your computer would normally allow it to, with the benifit of other tweaks and fixes being allowed to shine through.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really dont care about any of that. What I did helped me so...yeah o.o

nge

Best answers
Oh, don't take offence or anything. I'm just explaining the command you're talking about so people don't go thinking it's going to be a miracle fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom