Dragonball Z/GT MMORPG

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, the World of Warcraft engine was designed to handle the requirements of an MMO game. The Source engine would have to be completely redesigned to be able to handle the requirements of an MMO game.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What about Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines? That game was MASSIVE and it was built on the Source engine.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
well, that would be neat to have a WOW mod... but it would require way too much work. Im guessing?
It would if you wanted to do a total conversion, but I don't think the WoW engine would be able to do the things you've seen in Dragon Ball Z.

Spunky said:
What about Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines? That game was MASSIVE and it was built on the Source engine.
The Source engine version they used was really buggy and it couldn't handle the game very well (but you had the community make patches to fix it up). Even though Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines was pretty large, the Source engine wouldn't be able to handle a thousand players at once, or let alone a big enough map (even though you can make the maps that are pretty large).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said, it would have to be stand alone. I doubt there is an editor for Guild Wars or WoW. Maybe something like a mix between Guild Wars and City of Heroes? If you could somehow modify the City of Heroes MMORPG (which would suck if you still had to pay monthly for the game) you might get something close. There are some stand-alone game creators out there I think...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
The Source engine version they used was really buggy and it couldn't handle the game very well (but you had the community make patches to fix it up).
It was one of the earliest builds of the Source engine. The Source engine (Now) is far more stable and uses less resources than the build that Bloodlines used. But I still had no problem running Bloodlines on my rig. :p

MC said:
Even though Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines was pretty large, the Source engine wouldn't be able to handle a thousand players at once, or let alone a big enough map (even though you can make the maps that are pretty large).
The engine itself most likely could. In the end it would boil down to whether or not the players' rig could handle that many players on screen at once. But with today's badass servers, there's not a doubt in my mind that a DBZ MMORPG couldn't be built on the Source engine. Plus, Valve is STILL making changes and additions to the engine, fixing things up, making the engine far more stable (As seen in HL2: Episode One if you've played it), and making many new promises for the engine.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, maybe someone with a lot of interest and a lot of free time and a LOT of money will do it...question is, whose ready for something that ambitious? That's more ambitious that ESF, DBZHOOD and ZEQ2 possible combined.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky said:
It was one of the earliest builds of the Source engine. The Source engine (Now) is far more stable and uses less resources than the build that Bloodlines used. But I still had no problem running Bloodlines on my rig. :p

The engine itself most likely could. In the end it would boil down to whether or not the players' rig could handle that many players on screen at once. But with today's badass servers, there's not a doubt in my mind that a DBZ MMORPG couldn't be built on the Source engine. Plus, Valve is STILL making changes and additions to the engine, fixing things up, making the engine far more stable (As seen in HL2: Episode One if you've played it), and making many new promises for the engine.
You got me on that one... I guess it's a possibility that I shouldn't of ruled out. I'm going to look more into this.

J-Dude said:
Well, maybe someone with a lot of interest and a lot of free time and a LOT of money will do it...question is, whose ready for something that ambitious? That's more ambitious that ESF, DBZHOOD and ZEQ2 possible combined.
Good luck buying the rights. FUNimation holds Dragon Ball Z on a tall, well dusted, thoroughly cleaned, carefully waxed, golden platter - Meaning that they wouldn't give the rights to just anyone... at all if anything. Toei Animation is a different story, but to be honest I don't really know how that would work to a full extent. Toei Animation was the holder of the rights to the show, and FUNimation has the license's to the show. If anyone can correct me, please do so.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
well, that would be neat to have a WOW mod... but it would require way too much work. Im guessing?
Why not use the WoW Suorce Engine?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
Why not use the WoW Suorce Engine?
Because Blizzard are a bunch of uptight fartknockers. I doubt they'd give the source of the WoW engine to anyone, just to have their glory stolen away.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if its a mod, or at least something free, I doubt they'd take action...unless they get jealous of it like with ZEQ2.

Anyway, if you're planning on doing it free, and you're worried about that, if you're really dedicated to what you're doing, why not take it to the...man...himself? The one who owns all the rights regardless of petty disputes between Funi and Toei?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
why not take it to the...man...himself? The one who owns all the rights regardless of petty disputes between Funi and Toei?
It doesn't quite work that way... He SOLD the rights to the show, meaning he makes no decisions on the franchise until those rights expire.

Plus, isn't Akira Toriyama dead?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky said:
It doesn't quite work that way... He SOLD the rights to the show, meaning he makes no decisions on the franchise until those rights expire.

Plus, isn't Akira Toriyama dead?
He's still alive, he's doing art work for a new game called "Blue Dragon" or something like that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, he was only fifty last year, he'll be kicking for a long time! Well, I still say the creator should by principle have supreme rights over what is rightfully HIS franchise, HIS show, HIS story. I never liked the idea of other people having more authority over something than say, the author of a book being made into a movie.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm trying to look more into this, and the deeper I go, the more confused I get. So far, Toei Animation holds the rights to Dragon Ball and FUNimation owns a license to Dragon Ball. I could be wrong and if so, please correct me.

Ohhh, I think I got it right, I just looked at the copyright information at the bottom of the Dragon Ball Z website and it says that Dragon Ball is licensed by FUNimation and Toei Animation owns the rights to Dragon Ball.

I apologize for going off-topic.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Well, if its a mod, or at least something free, I doubt they'd take action...unless they get jealous of it like with ZEQ2.

Anyway, if you're planning on doing it free, and you're worried about that, if you're really dedicated to what you're doing, why not take it to the...man...himself? The one who owns all the rights regardless of petty disputes between Funi and Toei?
It would be bad if The DBZ Mod of WoW, attracts more gamers than WoW does, then WoW looses money becasue everyone is playing a free mod instead of Expensive WoW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom