Dragonball Kai

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think maybe someone made a thread for this before... but anyway it started the same time as the new fullmetal anime. It's also being subbed and released in 720p eps.

This is probably the best way to take in dragonball other than reading the manga i'd say. There is no filler (except for the first ep like the new fullmetal show too) and the show progress' along at a really fast rate with no bull****.

I dunno I'm too lazy to sell something to you people- but it's pretty much the best thing to happen to dragonball in forever.

I wonder if Skiwan agrees...

Who else watches it?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I've actually heard complaints that it leaves out too much of the old series. While I don't really feel that way, I have seen moments where they've done a bad job in cutting and scene transitions because of what they've cut out.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
When i first saw Dragonball Kai I was greatly disappointed in it, I had hoped the remake would have the same animations etc. as the Opening has. turned out it was the same as the original series :(

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I had hoped the remake would have the same animations etc. as the Opening has. turned out it was the same as the original series :(
Uh..what did you expect? That they were going to redraw and rescan every frame of every cel across the entire series and piece it all together again? You do realise it took the most part of a decade to do this the first time around, right?

Its a digital remastering with some footage removed for god sake. I personally think its a fantastic idea, despite the fact its another way to sell me another boxset :p

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I watched this for a while but stopped. I'm most likely going to continue watching it soon.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I've actually heard complaints that it leaves out too much of the old series. While I don't really feel that way, I have seen moments where they've done a bad job in cutting and scene transitions because of what they've cut out.
That'sa going to happen because it's a more bare bones cut. I never saw the original, but for example, did we really need the stuff with korin and mr popo? Did it really contribute to the overall story? Or was it mostly just comic/silly filler?

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh..what did you expect? That they were going to redraw and rescan every frame of every cel across the entire series and piece it all together again?
Why not? If it's a serie that is shown on TV in 2009, why not making it a 2009 like anime? They made it to the opening and that's why I thought they would do it to the entire serie. I was trully disapointed when it started, it's like selling a brand new rolls royce with and interior of an old chevrolet. (old chevrolet are so cool xD)

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Doesnt that depend on the number of people who are working on it? I saw a small "the making of DBz remastered" on youtube and it seemed kind of a long low investment imo. I might be wrong...

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That and they can get a decent ratings share with less work than redoing lots of stuff.

Back from the shadows
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Dragonball Kai is pointless. Just grab the goddamn remote control and skip through the filler parts.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Uh..what did you expect? That they were going to redraw and rescan every frame of every cel across the entire series and piece it all together again? You do realise it took the most part of a decade to do this the first time around, right? :p
Well i just figured it would look more "advanced", and just like the "remake" of Hellsing to Hellsing Ultimate. IMO they should just make the new Dragonball Series in OVAs', if it could be half as impressive as H-Ultimate is then i'd say it's worth the wait. :)

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I for one love db kai, I can actually watch and enjoy dbz. Originally, 1/3rd of the show was actual content, it was not worth 40 mins of filler for 20 mins of plot progression, now they've cut out all the bull**** and kept it close to the manga, I can bare it. It might actually be worth buying the box set.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, I thought this would get hated on for stupid reasons.

The visual quality of the show will continue to improve over time as they start remastering newer and newer cells. It's only natural that the very first episodes arn't going to look like modern HD anime.

For those who think too much has been cut out of the show, I would say: This is how the show is meant to be. It actually follows the story how it was in the manga. All the stuff that "isn't there" is not meant to be there.

I dunno- I'm with skiwan on this one, after 10 years of them ****ing this up they've finally made a version of dragonball that I am entertained by.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I just wish people would get it into their heads that its a remastering, not a remake.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
The remastering is great so far, I love it.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Call me crazy for looking too much into this, but I have a feeling that these guys are building something up and Dragonball Kai is just a test to see how many viewers and ratings this series is getting.

The tenth anniversary specials make sense, but I find it odd that not only did they do an OVA special, but they're also re-airing the series in higher quality. I dunno, like I said, call me crazy for looking too much into this but I seriously think that they're doing a build up and are working on a whole new series while Kai is airing.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Its not in higher quality. Its the remastered vestion that Funi was releaseing a while ago with some new voice overs and cut out fillers.

I think this is the final squeeze that they are getting out of it.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, Dragon Ball Kai removed scenes/frames that are still in FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z: Remastered version. Plus, TOEI Animation recolored and reanimated several scenes, things that FUNimation never did.

On the other hand, Dragon Ball Kai(essentially a DBZ-rerun) debuted above One Piece, and still remains as one of the highest-rated animated Japanese programs, somewhere below One Piece. Shows like Pokemon and Naruto rarely ever pop up on the top 10 animated programs there.

I guess with DBZ's success and longevity, it's very much a possibility that had it been completely reanimated and rewritten as a newage cartoon for a newage audience it may've taken off with a much bigger start, with the possibility of being reintroduced to other parts of the world, and perhaps even given another shot as a mainstream product to this generation.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Dragonball Kai is DBZ without 28 minutes of Screaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom