Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game has gotten me by the thorns(If you have seen the commercial you know what I am talking about) I picked this game up the first day it came out I'm 50 hours into playing it and still a pretty far way from beating it. If you were a fan of Dragon Warrior(US)/Dragon Quest(JP) name changed because of the the copyright back in the early 90's, you owe yourself to give this a rent because you will be addicted.

The voice overs aren't the greatest with them being british actors but some parts are still funny like this one "COR BLIMEY"

hehe

Also the Final Fantasy XII Demo which came with it was not too bad it was a nice 30 minutes of getting too play the new style Final Fantasy.

So lets hear your crits/comments or questions about Dragon Quest VIII.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's for PS2 right? Should I get it on the grounds that it comes with a FFXII demo?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really want to play this. Tell me--what's the combat system like?

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yupp its your classic Turn Based RPG.

Ravendust It's for PS2 right? Should I get it on the grounds that it comes with a FFXII demo?
Yes its for the ps2 and the demo is alright but it could have been better like I said 30 minutes of gameplay if you do everything in the demo or 15 minutes if your rush through.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i love the game, been awhile since a simple turn based rpg was made without some other mechanic thrown in to mess w/ the system.

and the graphics are just awesome, toriyamas style really shines through in quite a few of the character/monster designs. just look at the main character close up. its almost like hes straight out of dbz. (without the flying and whatnot)

but im stuck on a boss atm and im having to go back and level about 10 times before i even attempt it again,

Best answers
Any idea when (or even if) this is coming out in the UK? The game looks fantastic, but I've not been able to find a UK release date as of yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been dying for an RPG for years, but I hate all of these new school RPGs. The last one I could stand was FF7, and even that felt like a long departure from the good old days of Chrono Trigger and FF3/6.

I miss the days when RPGs were all similar mechanics and the focus was on the story and characters. In fact, I miss the days when the term 'story' didn't mean 'tons of stupid mini-games and side quests going nowhere' and 'characters' didn't mean 'polycount'.

When I saw the commercial for this game it reminded me of Chrono Trigger. Seems like I'll love it, but the problem is...I'm not at all a Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior fan. I never even played any of them. Is that going to turn me off to this game? Am I going to be lost and confused about the story because of that?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive never played any of the others either, and i wub it =P. i say go for it

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy which boss are you stuck on? Also have you reached 100% tension yet with any of your chars?

Ya this reminded me a lot of my old classic rpg's from the snes days except only in 3d heh.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dhoulmagus in his 2nd form, (sorry if its a spoiler =P you asked)

he takes out my 2 characters reserved for healing before they can do any real good =\

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh ya he's fun :)

Best thing I can suggest is your characters hero and angelo need Zing to revive a party member. Also keep an elfin pot with you so you can heal angelo's or hero's MP.

I'm about I say 2-3 hours ahead of you and what really pissed me off was beating the first dhoulmagus form and NOT LETTING YOU HEAL!! I had 20,000 gold on me and I thought woohoo he's dead then 2 minutes later SH*T!! Now I use the bank more then ever after that incident. Also you still have I'd say 30%-40% more to go to complete the game I thought wow if its over after this battle I'll be pissed but I was wrong hehe.

Hop on IRC sometime we can chat more there about it and I'll invite you to my sekret chan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom