Dragon Ball Z - Things You Didn't Like

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was going to write a long article, but I figured asking what everyone's thoughts on what they disliked about the series would suffice.

One thing I didn't like was the constant use of the Super Saiyan forms. There was too much of a dependence on them and pretty much everyone with Saiyan blood could use it by the end of the series.

Another thing I didn't like was how characters like Tien and Piccolo were thrown to the sidelines, eventually slipping into the gutter. Tien and Piccolo were pretty much the only non-Saiyans that still trained, yet Tien is defeated in the blink of an eye when fighting Buu and Piccolo, who Cell referred to as a fighting genius, was reduced to that of a babysitter.

I have many more, but I want to see what other's disliked about the series.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dislikes

- I thought that SSJ 4 should have been SSJ 1, it looks more like the monkey form of a saiyan, and it just looks more like a transformation of a saiyan instead of the golden hair.

- I didn't like the long stand offs.

I would have started watching Dragon Ball Z at the age of 17, and not 7, I would probably would have enjoyed it less.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I didn't like the loopholes. Some of them were:

1) Guru died of old age, but then was revived when the wish was made for everyone killed by Frieza to be ressurected.

2) In Trunks' timeline, 20 years in the future, Bulma looks much younger than her obviously younger self from 7 years after the Cell Games.

Another thing I don't like is that characters CONSTANTLY pass up vital opportunities to finish the job. Like:

1) When Goku first turned Super Saiyan, he could've anihilated Frieza before he powered up, and he might not had even blown up the planet. But then again, if things didn't go that way he never would've ended up learning instant transmission, so that actually might be a good thing.

2) Vegeta, after training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, could've easily destroyed Cell in his imperfect form. Also, Krillin could've disabled Android 18, unabling Cell to reach his perfect form even if Vegeta let him do it.

3) After Goku gave up against Cell, instead of letting Gohan finish the job, he could've used the following strategy: he could've used Gohan as a distraction, eaten a sensu bean, and with Cell as drained as he is (implying that he didnt recieve the Sensu bean Goku gave him) would be no match for Goku and he would've won. Therefore he would've stayed alive and eventually, Gohan would become Super Saiyan 2 without the need of bringing it out in front of Cell, and would've been even STRONGER from constant training.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guru apparently died because his heart was broken by frieza raping and pillaging his planet, not old age.

What I didnt like about Dragonball Z... the anime :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hated the 4 episode stand-offs and the season long power ups and spirit bomb charge up crap.

I hated the fact that becoming a super saiyan became a novelty after goku did it.

Thought it was stupid that gohan was too cool to go SSJ when he was an adult.

Hated the fact that gohan was totally useless after the cell saga.

Hated all of the broli movies, the absolute worst storyline ever..."oh noes, goku cried and disrupted my sleep when i was a baby, and for some reason i can remember that as an adult and hate him for it....so yea, hes gotta die....KAKOROTTT!!!!".

I enjoyed everything when I was a kid, but you couldn't pay me enough to go back and watch it again.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I didn't like? Well, really, a couple things. First of all the out-of-date, cheaply made animation. Low budget, understandable...I don't see why more funding wasn't accrued when the show became a hit, but whatever.

Then there's that old 1980s cel coloring. I just find it so bland, especially in the original Japanese. The US version was more saturated, but even so, I'd love to see more vibrant digital color, or at least something along the lines of GT's artwork.

And finally, the way DBZ was interprated from the manga into episodes. They tried to make one episode equal one manga chapter, but those chapters are SHORT, so in turning an eight minute chapter into a 22 minute episode, we get the 5 final minutes of Namek which equal 8 episodes. Filler up the wazoo, constant frame repetition in stare-downs...it...just wasn't a good tactic.

What I'd love to see, would be something like "Dragonball Deluxe". Update the artwork and animations, and remake the series, disregaurd chapters and try to appropriately put three times as much canon plot occurence into each episode. Then we have the series updated, and considerably shortened without sacrificing anything but pointless filler.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One thing that bugged we was the "ha, I am just toying with you/testing you/torturing you" theme that made battles switch from pointless and spectacular.

As the series went on, I came more desensitized to the fighting styles. A hail of energy blasts would light up the scenery, develop a plume of dust, leave a crater, and demonstrate raw power...But when it cleared, the person was either minimally damaged or smirking. While this could have been badass at some parts, sometimes it feels like I just wasted my time. Dodging blasts would have proved more entertaining.

But I don't look down upon DBZ. I still enjoy the idea of knocking someone through a city, teleporting, and smashing them back where they came form.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hated the really really really sad humor they tried to include... like all the Chi Chi and Saiyaman stuff.

Otherwise, the long ass fights were annoying.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dzamija said:
Guru died of old age, but then was revived when the wish was made for everyone killed by Frieza to be ressurected.
Guru sensed the plight of his people and it hurt him so much that he died.

Dzamija said:
In Trunks' timeline, 20 years in the future, Bulma looks much younger than her obviously younger self from 7 years after the Cell Games.
Hmm, I didn't really notice that. I don't think she looked that much younger, but I haven't watched it in years.

Dzamija said:
When Goku first turned Super Saiyan, he could've anihilated Frieza before he powered up, and he might not had even blown up the planet. But then again, if things didn't go that way he never would've ended up learning instant transmission, so that actually might be a good thing.
Goku wanted to believe that Frieza could change if he spared his life. He wanted to show him mercy, a kindness that was never given by Frieza.

Dzamija said:
Vegeta, after training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, could've easily destroyed Cell in his imperfect form. Also, Krillin could've disabled Android 18, unabling Cell to reach his perfect form even if Vegeta let him do it.
Vegeta didn't care about killing Cell unless he could beat him at his full strength. Vegeta only cared about proving that he was the strongest fighter in the universe.

Krillin was in love with Android 18.

Dzamija said:
After Goku gave up against Cell, instead of letting Gohan finish the job, he could've used the following strategy: he could've used Gohan as a distraction, eaten a sensu bean, and with Cell as drained as he is (implying that he didnt recieve the Sensu bean Goku gave him) would be no match for Goku and he would've won. Therefore he would've stayed alive and eventually, Gohan would become Super Saiyan 2 without the need of bringing it out in front of Cell, and would've been even STRONGER from constant training.
Way to completely kill the excitement.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
The only thing I disliked is in the English version of DBZ, the looks + voices changed in the Frieza Ginyu Saga's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't like how SSJ became pretty much useless after the Cell saga, and after that, everything became too focussed on having all the other characters catch up to Goku's power (SS3 anyway? Fusion?) so that grew old.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I realy realy disliked the Froms
Come on I can undersand SSJ but come on how can you get so mad 2 times and even 3 times mader this was preaty much the supidest thing even.
Hated the fact they change hair coler when they become SSJ
DBZ was realy really unbalance in fights,for exeple Goku was fighing Frieza Frieza Kick the living crap out of Goku and when he turn SSJ he was Super mega Giga waga milion zilion trilion super unbeatabal

And Hated the Fusion they realy realy suked

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always loved the forms. And each got progressively more badass as they moved up to different levels. Super Saiyan was cool, Super Saiyan 2 was awesome, and Super Saiyan 3 was just epic. GT killed that progression though. I despise the SS4 form. The common theme was supposed to be the spiky golden hair. The ape **** really destroyed it. Fusion was an okay idea on paper, but crossing names and all plus all the things that came with it made it more silly than anything else.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Dbz now that I go back to view it.. seems to have had a "kiddie" appeal. Even tho when first watching it felt awsome despites its maaaany flaws, It could've been SO MUCH BETTER.

I just wish they had a FAR better storyline FAR better drawing quality and a more mature appeal.

If they had made the show more "mature'ish" then that would've been one "Epic" anime.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I realy realy disliked the Froms
Come on I can undersand SSJ but come on how can you get so mad 2 times and even 3 times mader this was preaty much the supidest thing even.
Hated the fact they change hair coler when they become SSJ
DBZ was realy really unbalance in fights,for exeple Goku was fighing Frieza Frieza Kick the living crap out of Goku and when he turn SSJ he was Super mega Giga waga milion zilion trilion super unbeatabal

And Hated the Fusion they realy realy suked
What's wrong with a change of hair color? They needed something to distinguish them as "Super".

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's wrong with a change of hair color? They needed something to distinguish them as "Super".
And the glowing wasn't enough.

What I didn't like that much was that enemies just became ridiculously strong rather than technically better. What I thought would have been good is that Cell wasn't uber strong but rather very skillful.

Oh, and I felt that their strength should have been toned down so that Frieza's threat of destroying Namek would seem evil even at the end.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

What I didn't like that much was that enemies just became ridiculously strong rather than technically better. What I thought would have been good is that Cell wasn't uber strong but rather very skillful.

Oh, and I felt that their strength should have been toned down so that Frieza's threat of destroying Namek would seem evil even at the end.
Yeah, even before the Namek saga, we see Vegeta blow the **** out of a planet.

If he can blow up an entire planet that easily, at that powerlevel, then imagine what happens if SSJ3 Goku would fart or something.

A force of that magnitude would rip the macrocosm a new one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm ..

Dragon Ball (the meta-series: comic, anime, game series, etc. is popular because of its unique, sharp drawing style, imaginery and exaggerated fighting & ki concept, and its characters that are all attached to those things).

[1] Emphasis

Story emphasis; all concepts and their aspects. Not redundant, like some of the things in Naruto.

Vegeta did develop well, and he may've been the first of his kind, in any comic/anime/cartoon, or television series(practically the only character with depth, Piccolo aside), however as I said, emphasis, attention.

I personallly wouldn't have changed anything else.

Most of you should know I'm primarily referring to the manga. The anime had filler(which wasn't always that bad, but there was unecessary filler, there just for the simple demand).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but no actually, it wasn't. Everybody glowed. Kaioken, flying, and just generic power ups had people glow.

Yellow hair was the defined feature of a Super Saiyan. The green eyes too, but I'm sure people would notice the hair before the eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom