Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai for the PSP

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If only they could combine the fighting engine of that with the character set of Tenkaichi and the attention to detail of B3 and stuck it on a next gen console. That video was sweet.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks too much like budokai's fighting to me, combo's are too linear and involve very little, if any, tactics. I wud have thought they might've included high and low attacks on this one =\ oh well.

Btw, Mccdbz, maybe you should form your own opinion rather than taking what the reviewer as law, he said himself he isnt a fan of dbz, some of his arguements are purely asthetic and show lack knowledge/interest.

Best answers
Info from icenick on the ps2forums, he has the game and answered a few questions, kind of makes me wish i bought a psp lol.

QUOTE (Icenick @ Mar 24 2006, 05:08 PM)
I believe I posted this before.

-Faster fighting: High speed fights, better then Budokai 3.

-Transformations: This is kinda dumb but you can only choose 1 transformation, I say its dumb only because why would you take SSJ Gotenks over SSJ3 Gotenks? They have the same moves except SSJ3 Gotenks has a higher base line ki. Also its too easy to transform only need 4 bars of Ki and press down + O.

-Fewer characters: Is this bad, in my opinion this is great, so we lose some fighters such as Tien and Yamcha but the characters we do have are much more unique. For example Krillin has the solar flare as a secondary attack, SSJ Vegeta has the Big Bang Attack as his secondary, so his Galic gun is completely different from the Big Bang Attack. Also Vegito has the most unique move of all, Savage Counter, what it does is that Vegito goes into his favorite stance (the one where he raises his leg) and if you do a melee attack on him while in the Savage Counter stance, he will counter attack with a series of kicks. Also Hercule has been traded with a much better character Pikkon, Pikkon is very melee based but boy does he pack a punch, both his death moves have limited range but are fun and go good with his combos, Pikkon in my opinion one of the better characters in the game.

-Combos: Budokai 3 had combos right, well forget Budokai 3 combos because they totally changed that. Instead of Square, Square, Square, Square, O as a basic combo they have more detailed combos. Lets say I wanna do some punchs then finish with a Kamehameha, well I have a few choices here, the only way you can do the Kamehameha or other death moves is by pressing foward + O. Sounds dumb, but its great, I can now CREATE my own combos, each characters has something like 40 attacks. So I can press Square, Square, Square, foward Triangle, foward + O. Now for example this attack will hit your opponent upward then launch the Kamehameha. So really you can make many different kinds of combos for different situations.

-Powered up attacks: What I find was lacking in all previous DBZ games was the fact that you could never charge your attacks. They have answered my prayer now. The Kamehameha is now chargable, simply hold down O to do more damage, not only do you do more damage but it adds strategy, thats right you knock your opponent down and now can charge the Kamehameha so its hard to avoid when he gets up. Also certain ultimates can be charged such as the Spirit Bomb, Warp Kamehameha and others.

-Piercing Attacks: What do I mean by piercing attacks well its pretty much unblockable attacks. Krillin's Distructo Disk is a great attack in the show because it would cut through anything, why should the game be different? Some attacks such as Krillin's Distructo Disk and Vegitos Spirit Sword will do the same damage blocking as not blocking.

-Blocking: In budokai 3 I never blocked, whats the point I rather avoid damage. Another change to the game, first blocking can be very useful or very useless. Blocking an ultimate can actually prevent ALL damage done to your character. The way blocking works is simple if I do 1000 damage to you and you dont block well thats 1 bar of life gone, but if you do block well its still 1 bar of life gone . Isnt blocking supposed to reduce damage(well maybe it depends on your skill), so I just hit you of 1000 damage but you blocked, now what happens is that your life will recover until either you completely heal that 1000 damage or I hit you with any attack interupting this process. So if you play defence and avoid taking a hit your life will come back. Wierd way of blocking but kinda cool.

-Aura Burst: Ah the new hyper mode, this is so much cooler then hyper mode. What happens is you hit R and become engulfed in an aura, while in this mode you lose Ki quickly (like hyper mode), but you move faster and if you press triangle you do a strong attack that stuns your opponent. Another difference from hyper mode is that Aura Burst doesnt last very long, if you dont move its 2 seconds, if you move once its over, but if you dont stop moving then it stays on. So you can quickly get behind your opponent to stun him.

-Capsules be gone: I never liked the capsules, so ya. You just unlock transformations. For me its a good thing that there are no capsules, I never used support caps and anyone who uses senzu bean or anyother revive cap should be shot.

-Dragon Road: Story mode, rather fun except that the characters dont talk and you are forced to read! Another thing is, its very confusing since it deviates from the movie, like Teen Gohan comes to help you because the evil energy caused something something in time. I dont know dont ask me.

-Build up: NO BUILD UP MODE, why would they remove this, Build up mode with online would have been sick!

-Ad Hoc: I want online rather then Ad Hoc, I only have 1 friend who owns Shin Budokai, boring.

Power Levels: I have a power level! When playing against others, if you win your power level increases but if you lose it decreases, also you can check your stats.

-Alternate Costumes: Again why would you remove this?

-Duel Mode: I try and try to understand why they dont have a duel mode, but I just cant think of a good reason, however there is a arcade mode.

-Profile Cards: Maybe I would enjoy this if I was 5 years old. Still gives me something to unlock, I wanna buy them all.

Wow that took long but I think I have everything basically covered. These are some of the difference between Shin Budokai and Budokai 3 some good and some bad depending on your tastes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mccdbz5 said:
Well, I know this thread is considered dead, but I don't if I should make a whole other topic, just to tell people this =/. You guys are going to be surprised when you see this review for the game:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/694/694278p2.html
I'm actually surprised, I thought the game would be fun...
why would you post a review for the game, a review is an opionion, thats was totally irrelavent to the topic

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
why would you post a review for the game, a review is an opionion, thats was totally irrelavent to the topic
How is a review irrelevant to people who have never even tried the game? It gives opinion, yes, but also what you can do in the game and what SOME people may like or not like about it. For the people ho have never played a game, a review from a place like IGN is very relevant.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i see what your saying, anyways is this basically the same as boudokai 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom