Dragon Ball Z: Another Road [PSP]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shin Budokai Follow Up

With the success of last year's Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai for the PSP, Atari and developer Dimps are prepping a new installment in the portable branch of the fighting series. Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road offers refinements and new content to the framework of last year's game. We had the chance to try out a work-in-progress version of the game to see how the follow-up is coming along.

The follow up to last year's DBZ Shin Budokai, Another Road is heading to the PSP in March.

Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road stays true to the winning formula introduced in the Budokai series on consoles three years ago, which set the standard for the recent renaissance of DBZ games. For fans who suffered through the earlier less-than-stunning entries in the series, 2002's Dragon Ball Z: Budokai was akin to discovering fire. Given the positive response to the game and its successors, Atari and Dimps aren't straying too far from what's come before. You'll find your standard array of modes, such as another road (the story mode), arcade, network, and Z trial. The story mode features a new twist on the DBZ narrative by offering an alternative scenario that follows Trunks in a distinctly different future from the established lore. The network mode offers ad hoc combat for two players. Finally, the Z trial mode features three different match types to test your skills: survival, time attack, and challenge. The roster of 24 fighters will feature a mix of fan favorites from Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and the Dragon Ball movies.

Combat in the game is faithful to the previous installment and leans more toward the system seen in the third console game. You'll have the same core attacks as in previous games: rush attack on the square button, smash attack on the triangle, and ki attack on the circle. You'll block with the X button, charge your ki with the left shoulder button, and trigger your aura burst with the right trigger.

The visuals in the game are on par with last year's game, offering some minor improvements to the camera system. Characters are detailed and sport a pseudo cel-shaded look that approximates the look of the anime and manga. The environments share the same aesthetic, but they feature the expected layer of interactivity, as it just wouldn't be a Dragon Ball game if you couldn't knock someone through a mountain. The crazy fighting is enhanced, as always, by a host of special effects to highlight various attacks, transformations, and crazy ultimate attack madness.

Much like the gameplay, Another Road's audio isn't straying from the standards set by the last game. You'll hear ample amounts of voice from the anime's voice actors, who nail their business like pros. Combat yields the same solid array of collisions and effects for everyone's attacks, with the supers offering the craziest audio.

Twenty four fighters will be featured in the game, drawing from both the DBZ television shows and the movies.

Based on what we played, Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road is shaping up to be a solid follow-up to Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai. The game appears to be covering its bases with its selection of characters and new modes. Although you won't find anything earth shattering, the new "what if" scenario adds an interesting wrinkle that should please fans. The multiplayer support is solid, but as with last year's game, we'd hoped for something more robust. If you're a fan of the DBZ fighters or dig last year's game, you'll want to keep an eye out for Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road when it ships this March for the PSP.
Source

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh ****

That video is looking pretty hot for a PSP game. It like combines Budokai 3, with Tenkaichi and SuperSonic Warriors (on screen super moves).

I kinda wish they would stick to that style for the rest of the Budokai games.

Best answers
I loved Shin Budokai, it looked amazing, had the Budokai 3 Fighting mechanics that I loved and had the jp language track.

I'll definitely be picking this up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone see the video of Goku using a shadow version of the Special Beam Cannon? o_O It's on Gamespot.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That was future Gohan ;) it seems he has Special Beam Cannon.

I'm tempted to buy a PSP for this myself =x it looks pretty tight, I always liked Budokai 3's style and prefered it over Tenkaichi's...

Best answers
I have Shin Budokai on my PSP ,it's a good game ;) it worth play .

edit : but i don't have Another road :( , if someone has the link pls post it .

Best answers
shin budokai hadnt enough characters to entertain me. ill probably get this one.
im always interested in good brawlers for the psp.

Best answers
Looks like the same old stuff to me. It's not good enough to make me buy a psp. I might get a psp for other reasons though but I wouldnt get it just because of this game. I'm kind of tired of DBZ and dont really like it all that much anymore.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game looks better then the Ps2 dbz games.... tempted to buy a psp, not only for that reason. sooner or later FF series and other games from square enix willl be for psp ,too!!!

WHOHO!

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game looks better then the Ps2 dbz games.... tempted to buy a psp, not only for that reason. sooner or later FF series and other games from square enix willl be for psp ,too!!!

WHOHO!
It looks good for a PSP but it doesnt top Budokai 3 in graphics at all.
Shin Budokai has skinned on shading insted of real Cell Shading, which doesnt look bad but real Cell Shading always beats faked one =P

The gameplay however, if thats what you meant, does beat a few games I believe.
It doesnt have beam struggles from what I heard, which is a shame =[ but the fighting system has improved a lot since it contains Budokai 3's system (except for the Dragonrushs, which sucked anyways) and a lot more to make it enjoyable fast paced fighting game.

If I'm going to get a PSP, thats the first game I'll probably get...I miss playing Budokai 3 but this looks fresh.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't agree with these people who buy PSPs then buy Madden games.

I am getting a PSP just because of Dragonball Z games.

Best answers
I really don't agree with these people who buy PSPs then buy Madden games.

I am getting a PSP just because of Dragonball Z games.
And I don't understand someone getting a console for just two games. I got my PSP for playing games on the go, and homebrew (which allows me to do anything with it).

I'll probably acquire this game one way or another.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you have Music ,Photos, Videos, and Homebrew, now if this was for the DS, I probably wouldn't buy one, if you purchase PSP, you are getting a lot more things then just a portable electronic that plays games.

DMW

Best answers
for the same price of a psp you can get a flashcart + DS and it'll have basically every feature the psp has,plus you can play roms which means you don't have to buy games,illegal yes,worth it,hell yea.

Best answers
Uh, if you knew anything about the Psp, you'd know that in terms of homebrew, it blows the Ds out of the water.

I purchased a 2gb memory stick duo as soon as I got my psp, and I've been encoding Movies and Anime to Psp format at high quality ever since.

I'd like to see your ds do that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Back on topic, *****es.

I've never played Shin Budokai, but I remember being very impressed with initial footage of it. It looked like B3 on crack. It was full of awesome. If it weren't for the fact that the PSP doesn't have enough games that I want to play, I might have picked one up so I could play this, too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
for the same price of a psp you can get a flashcart + DS and it'll have basically every feature the psp has,plus you can play roms which means you don't have to buy games,illegal yes,worth it,hell yea.
So can we, as far as I know, homebrewers can play: NES, SNES, Genesis, Amiga, Atari, GBA, GB, GBC, N64, PS1, PSP, Quake, Quake II, Doom, Doom II, Every Doom wad that has been ever made, DukeNukem3D, Homebrew games (With some really nice 3d (PSP 3D quality) games coming out right now, and a couple of Massively Multiplayer Online homebrew coming out) Commodore, MSX, nearly every other old school console, etc etc etc.
Not only that, it can play high quality movies (and even higher quality movies with smaller sizes if you use certain homebrew programs), Surf the web, take pictures. Basicly, I can go on for centuries with this list.

And seriously, the DS can not even emulate nearly half of what the PSP can. The only reason that the DS sells more is because it's price is lower, and most people don't know of the PSP's homebrew capabilities. Just because of that, the PSP doesn't appeal to the general audience. But if people would know how to use homebrew, the DS would be no more.

On topic now: The game looks pretty awesome, near PS2 graphics. So far, I've also heard that the game is great in terms of gameplay. I might actually get this one.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And seriously, the DS can not even emulate nearly half of what the PSP can. The only reason that the DS sells more is because it's price is lower, and most people don't know of the PSP's homebrew capabilities. Just because of that, the PSP doesn't appeal to the general audience. But if people would know how to use homebrew, the DS would be no more.
Well said.

I'm getting myself a PSP soon and I'm definatly going to try Another Road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom