Dragon Ball: Source released today

Best answers
so what do u guys think of the release of dbs today on the 14... any1 waiting for it?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You need three things;

1. Patience.
2. An understanding of Time Zones (it's not midnight in America yet, thus still the 14th).
3. To re-read Rule #1 in the context of Rule #2.

Apparently it's being uploaded to ModDB at the moment, and the link will be posted on their IRC channel.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's really crumby about Dragon Ball: Source, is its development team. The guy running it is a total prick. If any of you've seen the thread about Zeq2 there you'll notice he doesn't really show respect to anyone, including Zeth--he's pretty condescending to anyone who "opposes" him. Honestly, you're given "infractions" at the forum via PM, for "negatively" speaking of the mod, even if it's subtle. It's such a horrible environment to be in there.

I'm patient. But noticing a history of these things, where teams announce a release date, but when the day comes around & the things aren't released, people lose hope & become impatient.

Best answers
I need to buy HL2 now.... :( Naa. I guess ESF pwns it anyways. DB source may be for hl2, but its got a long way before it beats Earth's Special Forces.
btw the torrents are up.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I DLed DBSource and have just played for a bit. Here's my summary thus far.

Overall it's not a bad start I guess, but there's a LOT of room for improvement here. The maps aren't bad, save for Roshi's island, which is pretty bland. The models are okay I suppose, but their proportions are in need of help. Goku looks weedy somehow and Vegeta is DEFINITELY done with Saiyan saga in mind, considering how huge his head is in comparison to proper proportions.

Engine wise, it's pretty generic. No special system for melee; just point and click. The melee animations are pretty bare though. A bit too slow, and definitely not done with follow-up attacks in mind. It's also awkwardly coded, as the player's movement, land or air, is uninhibited when making a melee room, most of which were animated as though standing still (ie, start using melee while walking; you basically float over the ground while punching and kicking).

The energy attacks look nice enough, but are nothing fancy. They explode by producing a spherical explosion which then shrinks into nonexistence, but the shrinking is too slow to be believable. There is no "guided" beam either. Every energy move, be it kamehameha or gen. beam, is fire and forget. There is a kiblob effect with the rapid fire energy blasts, but it's very small.

Moving is a bit of a hassle. The default walk is painfully slow (think like DBGT: Final Bout ;) ) and to get anywhere, you had better hold shift to run. Double tapping in any direction prompts a very lackluster teleport, which transports you a very short distance and takes about 2 seconds to do, in which time the camera pans forward to your new position at terribly slow speed. As you'd think, spacebar makes you jump, but I'd avoid this jump like the plague. It's not so much a jump as a leap; unlike melee, when jumping, you DO stop where you are, and then jump about ten feet straight up. Not forward, not to the side, no higher, no lower than the default. I'd just use fly.

Flying is pretty basic...or would be if it had already been given a button for it. In fact, guess what!? You get to (and by "get to", I mean "have to") hand choose the keys for just about everything other than basic movement! Sounds like SECONDS of fun! Well, after "indulging" in this discovery, flying behaves pretty much the way you'd think. Only difference, is you have to make like George of the Jungle, and watch out for that tree; yes, colliding headfirst into a stationary object does HORRENDOUS damage to you. Such damage, that you'd think you flew into a standing razor blade.

One last little thing they added was their power-level system. Basically, you start out at level 1, or 2 or 3 depending on characters (Goku starts out at 1, while Vegeta starts at 3) and as you win fights (or just stand around long enough, as you gain XP just for existing) you gain levels. Doing this makes you noticabley faster and stronger in all ways. Of course, your actual power level depends on YOU to power up by holding a button down and watching your character build up their energy aura and power level bar(which actually isn't a bad effect, but is a bit small for the characters). Really, if you don't do this, despite your potential, you will be weak. This is interesting, as it allows higher levels players to bring down their PL (yes, there is an option to lower PL too) to the PL of their opponent for a more decent matchup. It can also mean using the classic DBZ tactic of "toying" with the enemy with lower PL, and then showing the true depths of their power.

Unfortunately, leveling up also means you have to earn certain attacks. Goku starts out at lvl 1 with melee and a ki blast, and has to get to level three to use an actual Kamehameha.

Overall, the game has potential but needs to fix and optimize a LOT before this game is truly playable to the extent it wants.

Oh, and I almost forgot: they ****ed up the UVW maps of the eyes of EVERY character. I first noticed when I saw Nappa was cockeyed, looking dumber than usual with pupils staring in opposite directions. The same goes for every one else except for a couple, including Vegeta, who the pupil isn't seen at all.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I DLed DBSource and have just played for a bit. Here's my summary thus far.

Overall it's not a bad start I guess, but there's a LOT of room for improvement here. The maps aren't bad, save for Roshi's island, which is pretty bland. The models are okay I suppose, but their proportions are in need of help. Goku looks weedy somehow and Vegeta is DEFINITELY done with Saiyan saga in mind, considering how huge his head is in comparison to proper proportions.

Engine wise, it's pretty generic. No special system for melee; just point and click. The melee animations are pretty bare though. A bit too slow, and definitely not done with follow-up attacks in mind. It's also awkwardly coded, as the player's movement, land or air, is uninhibited when making a melee room, most of which were animated as though standing still (ie, start using melee while walking; you basically float over the ground while punching and kicking).

The energy attacks look nice enough, but are nothing fancy. They explode by producing a spherical explosion which then shrinks into nonexistence, but the shrinking is too slow to be believable. There is no "guided" beam either. Every energy move, be it kamehameha or gen. beam, is fire and forget. There is a kiblob effect with the rapid fire energy blasts, but it's very small.

Moving is a bit of a hassle. The default walk is painfully slow (think like DBGT: Final Bout ;) ) and to get anywhere, you had better hold shift to run. Double tapping in any direction prompts a very lackluster teleport, which transports you a very short distance and takes about 2 seconds to do, in which time the camera pans forward to your new position at terribly slow speed. As you'd think, spacebar makes you jump, but I'd avoid this jump like the plague. It's not so much a jump as a leap; unlike melee, when jumping, you DO stop where you are, and then jump about ten feet straight up. Not forward, not to the side, no higher, no lower than the default. I'd just use fly.

Flying is pretty basic...or would be if it had already been given a button for it. In fact, guess what!? You get to (and by "get to", I mean "have to") hand choose the keys for just about everything other than basic movement! Sounds like SECONDS of fun! Well, after "indulging" in this discovery, flying behaves pretty much the way you'd think. Only difference, is you have to make like George of the Jungle, and watch out for that tree; yes, colliding headfirst into a stationary object does HORRENDOUS damage to you. Such damage, that you'd think you flew into a standing razor blade.

One last little thing they added was their power-level system. Basically, you start out at level 1, or 2 or 3 depending on characters (Goku starts out at 1, while Vegeta starts at 3) and as you win fights (or just stand around long enough, as you gain XP just for existing) you gain levels. Doing this makes you noticabley faster and stronger in all ways. Of course, your actual power level depends on YOU to power up by holding a button down and watching your character build up their energy aura and power level bar(which actually isn't a bad effect, but is a bit small for the characters). Really, if you don't do this, despite your potential, you will be weak. This is interesting, as it allows higher levels players to bring down their PL (yes, there is an option to lower PL too) to the PL of their opponent for a more decent matchup. It can also mean using the classic DBZ tactic of "toying" with the enemy with lower PL, and then showing the true depths of their power.

Unfortunately, leveling up also means you have to earn certain attacks. Goku starts out at lvl 1 with melee and a ki blast, and has to get to level three to use an actual Kamehameha.

Overall, the game has potential but needs to fix and optimize a LOT before this game is truly playable to the extent it wants.

Oh, and I almost forgot: they ****ed up the UVW maps of the eyes of EVERY character. I first noticed when I saw Nappa was cockeyed, looking dumber than usual with pupils staring in opposite directions. The same goes for every one else except for a couple, including Vegeta, who the pupil isn't seen at all.
Basically.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally Posted by J-Dude

Moving is a bit of a hassle. The default walk is painfully slow (think like DBGT: Final Bout ) and to get anywhere, you had better hold shift to run. Double tapping in any direction prompts a very lackluster teleport, which transports you a very short distance and takes about 2 seconds to do, in which time the camera pans forward to your new position at terribly slow speed. As you'd think, spacebar makes you jump, but I'd avoid this jump like the plague. It's not so much a jump as a leap; unlike melee, when jumping, you DO stop where you are, and then jump about ten feet straight up. Not forward, not to the side, no higher, no lower than the default. I'd just use fly.

Basically.
It. I agree. The animations and the models were the first things I noticed. I don't like things that move like sticks.

What's with the Dragon Ball outbreak recently? I just found another Dragon Ball MMORPG in the making, that has no relation with the real companies.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It. I agree. The animations and the models were the first things I noticed. I don't like things that move like sticks.

What's with the Dragon Ball outbreak recently? I just found another Dragon Ball MMORPG in the making, that has no relation with the real companies.
Dbz is being reborn.

Best answers
Jdude.. .you just changed my mind about going out and buying HL2.

And yeah DBZ is being reborn. Thank heavens!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uhm , i actually liked it alot for a first released, it's all not to great, but they have done a good job so far. And animations. heh i bet they lack at an animator.

Best answers
yeah all the systems are very much beta but i dont think you have really played the game until you played it as level 10... until you are level 10 teleporting is kinda retarded.

its the teleporting that makes it all possible... if you lock on to someone and aim their direction and press down up you teleport instant behind them... and if you right click with melee it does an overhead smash that knocks the person out of the air.

and also the dash hitting was something you didnt seem to notice.. i just dont think anyone really knows what you can actually do yet.

if you were someone playing dbs on release... you probably noticed the devs tore you apart

we need to get a manual up so people can get the hang of it i think... its crappy at first until you catch yourself in clever situations.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeh a manual would be nice

though leveling is somehow hard tlil level 10, i got to level 7 with like 20 thousand pl, the Powerlevel stuff has to be refined abit.

still the flow between the movments and all is abit buggy, also you are like floating all the time.... you should fix that.

btw. the special is somehow retarded... i would agree if goku would do a genkidama..l that could be a special... but not kamehame ha....

also genkidama should work even when you get hit. all attacks stop when you got hit in anyway.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I'll safely avoid this one, at least for the time being.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
DBS is good, and a lot of people say that that mod is better than Earth's Special Forces. I, have to disagree with them. ESF is the #1 Modification, and I am just surprised some people are saying those things.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DBS is good, and a lot of people say that that mod is better than Earth's Special Forces. I, have to disagree with them. ESF is the #1 Modification, and I am just surprised some people are saying those things.
true, its not better in anyway, just its abit more fun since its "newer" and there can not be any pros yet because its hella buggy, lol

Mog

Best answers
Cool, gonna get straight on downloading that!
I know it's not going to be anywhere near ESF, but it's DBZ on HL2. :)

More importantly though...
"SOMETHING ELSE" (not to be named on this forum, unlike DBS :D) has also had a release today!
So go download it! :smile:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool, gonna get straight on downloading that!
I know it's not going to be anywhere near ESF, but it's DBZ on HL2. :)

More importantly though...
"SOMETHING ELSE" (not to be named on this forum, unlike DBS :D) has also had a release today!
So go download it! :smile:
PM me it please :D

gotta agree DBZ on Hl2 is abit more fun :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom