Doom 3 sucks!!!!!!!

Best answers
Yeah, ending unnecessary processes helped quite a bit when running Doom 3 on my PC. As for tweaking;
Doom 3 tweak guide
I found this to be a good one. The main part you'll want to look for, are the pages about console commands. Just make an autoexec.cfg file (the guide tells you how to do everything), then check all the performance commands it says, and put whichever ones you want into the autoexec file. It gives you a description of what every command does, so you can tweak graphics options quite specifically.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
46 processes- I don't want to do anything I don't know about. I ****ed up my computer that way.

As for the frames, after making everything go as low as it can, I got an average of 9 frames per second. (terrible aint it?)

I don't want to end any processes because I don't want to screw up my comuputer like I did last time.

-JLN- Thanks for the tweak guide I'll take a look at it.

@ itr- I defrag my computer once a week (every sunday night)

So whaddo i do doc?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm, could you take a screenshot of your task manager showing all of the progresses? Thanks.

Best answers
What the hell, you've got 46 processes running at once? When I'm gaming I cut mine down to about 15, and when I'm just browsing the net, using messengers and such I have around 20 running. If you're using Windows XP, then there's a simple method you can use to try and cut a lot of the processes down, without the risk of ending a critical task.

Go on to the start menu, and on to run. Type, "msconfig" without the quotes. Click on the "Startup" tab, and then there should be a list of all the programs that can start when windows loads. Non of these are critical tasks, so you can just try unchecking them all, then restarting your PC. The msconfig box will probably come up when you've restarted your PC aswell, when it does this, just click "Ok", and then "exit without restart", or something along those lines. Now check task manager again, and see how many processes you have running. If there are still quite a lot, you could always post a screen with your task manager open, and then we could try and tell you which ones you can close without a problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or you can just go start>run>taskmgr... then go to "processes" then click "user name" and end all the exe files beside your login name EXCEPT EXPLORER.exe you can close IEXPLORER.exe but do not close EXPLORER.exe because you will have nothing on your screen but your background. Now, this should cause your commit charge to go down, and your pc usage, for fair amount of gaming performance. When done playing the game, just restart and voila their back.

Best answers
Yeah, but windows XP for some reason lets you end at least one of the svchost.exe tasks, which messed my PC up when I ended it by mistake the other day. Using Msconfig seems to be a safer way to clear most of the useless tasks.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
What the hell, you've got 46 processes running at once? When I'm gaming I cut mine down to about 15, and when I'm just browsing the net, using messengers and such I have around 20 running. If you're using Windows XP, then there's a simple method you can use to try and cut a lot of the processes down, without the risk of ending a critical task.

Go on to the start menu, and on to run. Type, "msconfig" without the quotes. Click on the "Startup" tab, and then there should be a list of all the programs that can start when windows loads. Non of these are critical tasks, so you can just try unchecking them all, then restarting your PC. The msconfig box will probably come up when you've restarted your PC aswell, when it does this, just click "Ok", and then "exit without restart", or something along those lines. Now check task manager again, and see how many processes you have running. If there are still quite a lot, you could always post a screen with your task manager open, and then we could try and tell you which ones you can close without a problem.
Sorry, I would listen to you. But recently that's how I killed my computer. I ended up having to send it to a place to get it repaired. I went into run>msconfig and I wanted to speed up my computer start up and just speed it up in general, so I unchecked anything that looked unimportant and didn't need to be ran. And ended up ****ing my comuter up terribly. I even turned everything back on and it was still ****ed up.

Smith. Sure I can take a screen shot. But I don't have a place to host it. Could you give me a link please?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XD svhosts are system files, you're not suppose to end em unless their viruses or hardware.

i have 14 processes at startup, 17 when running aim, msn, and firefox and around a 80,162K commit charge

http://imageshack.us is a good place to host images

and how did you mess your computer up? you must've did something else because I do this all the time whenever I install something new, I just uncheck em all and run the files that's vital for Windows to run, and my firewall of course XD. All you had to do if you did mess it up was reformatt.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ice Man said:
XD svhosts are system files, you're not suppose to end em unless their viruses or hardware.

i have 14 processes at startup, 17 when running aim, msn, and firefox and around a 80,162K commit charge

http://imageshack.us is a good place to host images

and how did you mess your computer up? you must've did something else because I do this all the time whenever I install something new, I just uncheck em all and run the files that's vital for Windows to run, and my firewall of course XD. All you had to do if you did mess it up was reformatt.
1. Imageshack never works for me (ever) sorry. Any other places?
2. You're sig ****ing kicks ass.
3. How did I **** it up. I honestly don't know. I was messing around in msconfig and then the next time i started up my computer, it was slow as hell. I even posted on the esf forums asking for help as to why it is so slow. And no one really knew. So I sent it to a place and they fixed it. They said they wiped my computer clean and updated all my drivers and all that jazz. (I tried doing that but it didn't work...twice)

Best answers
Yeah, unchecking stuff in msconfig shouldn't have done anything except speed up your comp o_o
I also do it all the time, and it's done nothing but good.

svhosts are system files, you're not suppose to end em unless their viruses or hardware.
Heh, yeah, tell me about it. I was trying to end a bunch of processes quickly, and I clicked and ended it by mistake :laff: It gave me the warning about my PC shutting down in 60 seconds. Quite annoying that XP doesn't let you end most of the critical tasks, but it's fine with letting you end that one.

Edit: I use photobucket for my image hosting, so you could try that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, Dj^Swift, you suggested too much spyware. That's impossible because let's see. I have spybot search and destroy (not downloaded), Norton Antivirus (not downloaded), McFee antivirus (not downloaded), Microsoft antispy ware, Ad-aware SE personal, aol computer check up, aol antivirus security and safety, and some other aol **** that I hate but protects me.
First of all it has been my general experience that having multiple virus programs installed (as opposed to multiple spyware programs) just gets your windows shell all criss-crossed and ****ed up to the seventh degree.

Second...McAfee alone will choke your framerate to jack and ass, if it's running. It is a massive memory hog on mostly all the machines I've seen it on. If you have a legitimate Norton copy don't even bother with any other viral protection, as it will just needlessly eat your processor power.

Fire Phoenix said:
Sorry, I would listen to you. But recently that's how I killed my computer. I ended up having to send it to a place to get it repaired. I went into run>msconfig and I wanted to speed up my computer start up and just speed it up in general, so I unchecked anything that looked unimportant and didn't need to be ran. And ended up ****ing my comuter up terribly. I even turned everything back on and it was still ****ed up.
Yeah dude...you probably unchecked things in your autoexec tabs and config.sys tabs...**** up your startup real nice that way. Take notice though: EVERYTHING under the "STARTUP" tab in msconfig, is ALWAYS safe to turn off. Don't be afraid to try it; just make sure you only uncheck things in the Startup tab or you WILL be able to screw up your computer (though it's plenty fixable, just keep a backup of those files...but that's a post for another day).

Take notice of my system in my signature. I play Doom at a pretty consistent 50fps, for what it's worth, after I tweaked a lot of my texture memory using the guide mentioned earlier in this thread. However one of the first things it will tell you is to disable all startup programs in that processes tab, and to be honest with you, forty processes is really a lot...my **** has thirty five or so but that is only because of AVG virus scan and my printer which both needlessly run like 7 separate things a piece, which I constantly disable.

Definitely use the guide posted here, it helped me crank that ***** up to medium with no problems.

Also...a long shot here...but...how's your directX? Hl2 worked good for you, right? Well HL2 is 'allegedly' scalable down to directx 7...Doom 3 is not, and trying to run it with anything less than DirectX 9.0a (current is 9.0c, I think) is suicidal.

EDIT: I hope you don't try and run this game with Steam, AOL, etc. still on...that's just suicidal. You need to kill some of those processes man, that list is more than twice mine, it looks like.

Best answers
Yeah, seriously dude, give msconfig another shot. Unchecking things in the startup tab is entirely safe as Pride says. If you're really unsure, you can always create a system restore point before you try it.
I don't know what to make of the process screens you've posted. I recognise a lot of them as bull**** processes I've had in the past, and I'm betting that a chunk of them are due to spyware/adware. I don't think I could go through them one by one telling you which ought to be ended though, which is why I msconfig is your best bet. A-squared is good for removing malware and such if you haven't tried it already aswel.
Also, I've got to ask, do you leave things like Steam, the anti virus and messengers open while you play games? If so, definitely close those, that might help.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
First of all it has been my general experience that having multiple virus programs installed (as opposed to multiple spyware programs) just gets your windows shell all criss-crossed and ****ed up to the seventh degree.

Second...McAfee alone will choke your framerate to jack and ass, if it's running. It is a massive memory hog on mostly all the machines I've seen it on. If you have a legitimate Norton copy don't even bother with any other viral protection, as it will just needlessly eat your processor power.

Yeah dude...you probably unchecked things in your autoexec tabs and config.sys tabs...**** up your startup real nice that way. Take notice though: EVERYTHING under the "STARTUP" tab in msconfig, is ALWAYS safe to turn off. Don't be afraid to try it; just make sure you only uncheck things in the Startup tab or you WILL be able to screw up your computer (though it's plenty fixable, just keep a backup of those files...but that's a post for another day).

Take notice of my system in my signature. I play Doom at a pretty consistent 50fps, for what it's worth, after I tweaked a lot of my texture memory using the guide mentioned earlier in this thread. However one of the first things it will tell you is to disable all startup programs in that processes tab, and to be honest with you, forty processes is really a lot...my **** has thirty five or so but that is only because of AVG virus scan and my printer which both needlessly run like 7 separate things a piece, which I constantly disable.

Definitely use the guide posted here, it helped me crank that ***** up to medium with no problems.

Also...a long shot here...but...how's your directX? Hl2 worked good for you, right? Well HL2 is 'allegedly' scalable down to directx 7...Doom 3 is not, and trying to run it with anything less than DirectX 9.0a (current is 9.0c, I think) is suicidal.

EDIT: I hope you don't try and run this game with Steam, AOL, etc. still on...that's just suicidal. You need to kill some of those processes man, that list is more than twice mine, it looks like.
Naw, I turn steam and AOL off (I'm losing AOL in a few days YAY! COMCAST WOOT!) Ok so "startup" only right? I'll look into it. Doom 3 asked me if I wanted to install Direct X. I said Yes. Is that good or bad? I was assuming it's a good version of Direct X.

In your first paragraph, what are you trying to say. That having too many virus stuff and all that is bad? So should I uninstall them.

Also, by looking at my task manager, do you see anything that is safe to turn off (if so, please tell me what it is in lamens terms)

-JLN- sorry that I didn't "believe'' you. It's not that I don't trust you. It's just I don't trust myself on doing things on my computer if I ****ed it up once already. I'm just afraid to do it again that's all. Paid $100 to get my comp fixed.

I'll take a look at tweaks and all that good stuff. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Directx9.0c is the current version of directx , I belive the doom3 installer gives you the option of setting up directx9.0b (which is older) and when I bothered to keep my gfx drivers up to date along while back (when i hadn't bothered) and gave them to my older lasy brother to install , he saw screwed up textures on 3dmark2001se (simply because he didn't have ethier dx9c or the dx9c drivers without fx9c)

Doom3 doesn't use shader model 3 to my knowlege , and just uses dx9 features (but meh , always good to have your drivers up to date , i only slacked off cause i had dial up) your gfx card doesn't support it anyway though. When you can afford it you should get something better , even though i don't feel like it's time for me to switch to pc-ie yet , i still am deciding between a regular 6800 to pipe mod or a 600gt (what ever i fancy in the end though , i go for manafacturers over anything else , as some i can trust and some i can't , like gecube when my radeon 9600xt extreme screwed up , they I can no longer trust -_- , even had a mate who's got screwed worse then mine and could see pink dots all over a game texture)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
showicon2k.exe <-- icon config?
shellmon.exe <--- monitor config
ctfmon.exe <--- monitor config
ltmsg.exe <--- dunno, spyware?
kbd.exe
hphmon05.exe <--- monitor config
jusched.exe <--- dunno

I see why ending your processes isn't enough, because half your problem is caused by system files. how many stuff do you have installed? o_O

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jusched.exe I believe has to do with Quicktime. Killing it really has no harm.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just for a quicky, goto msconfig, click on Startup (NOT SERVICES), and click Disable All. Anything listed under Startup isn't required for your computer to operate. If you'd like to disable some services, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and do a search on google about what's there.

If you want to see how your computer runs with only the required stuff on, click General and click Diagnostic Startup.

Best answers
In your first paragraph, what are you trying to say. That having too many virus stuff and all that is bad? So should I uninstall them.

Also, by looking at my task manager, do you see anything that is safe to turn off (if so, please tell me what it is in lamens terms)

-JLN- sorry that I didn't "believe'' you. It's not that I don't trust you. It's just I don't trust myself on doing things on my computer if I ****ed it up once already. I'm just afraid to do it again that's all. Paid $100 to get my comp fixed.
Pride meant that you've got more than one virus protection tool installed. If that's true, then you should uninstall some - you only really need one. Also, you should exit any anti virus software you have before playing a game, as it can slow down your system quite a lot. I don't use any anti virus, but I'm willing to bet that there'll be a small icon for you virus protection tool in the lower right hand corner on the desktop; right click on it and see if you can exit it that way.
Oh and don't worry, I won't take any offense if you don't try msconfig, I know that a lot of people like to be very cautious with their comps and that's fair enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom