Doom 3 sucks!!!!!!!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually I'm just kidding I wanted to direct your attention to this thread.

My grandfather is a huge huge gamer. He has that dell xps or whatever it's called. Anywho, he sent me doom 3 so I could play it. And No matter how low I put the configurations everything lags, and is choppy and I can't do jack ****, especially in combat.

Here are my computer specs.

Intel Pentium 4 processor
3.4 Ghz
250 gb hard drive.
1 gb of ram ddr all that good stuff.
Nvidia GeForce fx 5200 (I know I need to get a better card)

But still, I think that it should at least run smoothly on low everything. Which is actually laggier then medium settings.

Anything I can do to solve this problem?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats very wierd. My friend has the same graphics card as you and he can play Doom 3 smoothly in low settings. Maybe some spyware or too many programs running?

Best answers
You graphics card is your bottleneck, my fx5600 already ran pretty crappy on low (glad I got a new card now) so I don't think there is much you can do really.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
****! This is pissing me off. Why you may ask. Because when I moved to CO, I forgot to take out my ATI Radeon 9800 pro that's in my moms computer. Now I know it's not the best card, but it sure as hell is better then the one in this thing.

Well, Dj^Swift, you suggested too much spyware. That's impossible because let's see. I have spybot search and destroy (not downloaded), Norton Antivirus (not downloaded), McFee antivirus (not downloaded), Microsoft antispy ware, Ad-aware SE personal, aol computer check up, aol antivirus security and safety, and some other aol **** that I hate but protects me.

I highly doubt i have anything that will slow my computer down. Funny story: Half-Life 2 runs great on all high settings on my computer. I most certainly would hope Doom 3 wouldn't have a hard time.

Anyother suggestions maybe?

::EDIT::

My drivers are all updated. I look once a month >.>

Best answers
The whole thing is not all the suprising, the 5200 is really just a Geforce4 mx in disguise, it's just as crappy.
I don't think I ever got to play Doom3 on my 5200 when I had one, but on my 5700 Ultra I could barely do High settings. The entire 5xxx series really just blew.

Best answers
Damn, I thought that It would only be no more than $700. I'm probably going to get the unpainted suits and get it painted by a pro or something.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
The whole thing is not all the suprising, the 5200 is really just a Geforce4 mx in disguise, it's just as crappy.
I don't think I ever got to play Doom3 on my 5200 when I had one, but on my 5700 Ultra I could barely do High settings. The entire 5xxx series really just blew.
I hate to say that you're wrong, but you are. I had a Nvidia GeForce MX 400 or something to that degree. And on a game like ESF I got 30 fps tops on 1.2.3 (1.1 I got 60) Now my 5200 I get constant 100. And I can play all high settings on HL2 which isn't far off from that of Doom3 if not better. Honestly I don't think it's a video card problem. Though if you are implying that I get a new video card. I agree with you 100%.

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
I hate to say that you're wrong, but you are. I had a Nvidia GeForce MX 400 or something to that degree. And on a game like ESF I got 30 fps tops on 1.2.3 (1.1 I got 60) Now my 5200 I get constant 100. And I can play all high settings on HL2 which isn't far off from that of Doom3 if not better. Honestly I don't think it's a video card problem. Though if you are implying that I get a new video card. I agree with you 100%.
On certain games yeah, I did see a huge improvement, with HL, or other lower end games. I also went from a Geforce 4 MX to a 5200, the improvement was not that great. Going from 30 FPS to 100 on HL is one thing, doing it on Doom 3 is a completly different ball park. There is also a big difference between the 5200 you might have and the one I had especially if you have an Ultra, I had one of the very first 5200s (NON-ultra), 64 megs of RAM on it, no fan, just a heatsink, it wasn't impressive. You might have gotten a newer version with a fan and such, companies try to beef up older cards to save money from making new ones.

And according to a lot of reviews on Newegg, 5200s are barely able to play HL2 or BF2, if at all. If I remember correctly 5200s used the same core as the G4 MXs, I could be wrong, ask Smith on that one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really dont see how its your video card. My friend has that exact card, with 256 megs of ram and an AMD Sempron (cant remember what exactly, ill have to ask him, clocked under 2 ghz anyways), and he could run doom 3 on low settings at 640x480 with a constant 30 frames (it would dip hard with lots of stuff happening, but overall it was very playable).

Your computer is much better than his, so it should be able to run Doom 3 no problem.

Best answers
All I know is I couldn't run games like Doom 3 on my 5200 either. I beat the crap out of myself for blowing a hundred bucks on that card because I couldn't really do much with it.

But when I think about it, I did only have an AMD 1600+ when I had my 5200, and only 512 megs of PC133 ram. If Doom 3 isn't playable AT ALL no matter what you do, maybe you should consider formatting, sounds like you have something eating up resources. Maybe you have too many background programs running eating up your ram? I really don't know, but when I thought about the system I had when I did have my 5200, your's is about 4 times better.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, maybe when I save up my money (just got high speed so i have to lay low for a while) I'll buy a new card.

But thanks for the advice.

::EDIT::

A mod can close this now.

Best answers
Silly question maybe, but have you turned shadows off? I know with my graphics card, turning shadows off gives an insane performance boost. I personally do that, and turn some of the other settings like resolution and texture detail up. It doesn't look as nice, but the image quality hit isn't as large as you might expect, and it ought to make it playable. If that doesn't work, then I honestly don't know what will. I know a couple of people who've got it running smooth enough on the same card when they turned off shadows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
Silly question maybe, but have you turned shadows off? I know with my graphics card, turning shadows off gives an insane performance boost. I personally do that, and turn some of the other settings like resolution and texture detail up. It doesn't look as nice, but the image quality hit isn't as large as you might expect, and it ought to make it playable. If that doesn't work, then I honestly don't know what will. I know a couple of people who've got it running smooth enough on the same card when they turned off shadows.
That's the thing though, I know that this card can play the game with shadows on, sure you gotta throw eveyrhitng to low and drop the resolution hard, but its still perfectly playable, and plays pretty good. This is also when the vid card is coupled with an equally bad system, but the rest of his computer is pretty good. So his computer should be able to run it even smoother, but for some reason it cant.

Best answers
I dunno. My card is a bit better than his, and even on 800 x 600 the frame rate can some times drop. Also, my personal preference is for the higher frame rate and resolution even if it does have to sacrifice the dynamic shadows.

Also, Fire Phoenix, have you tried any config file optimisations? I created an autoexec.cfg file, with a bunch of reccomended tweaks and it seemed to give me a fairly decent performance boost.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Actually I'm just kidding I wanted to direct your attention to this thread.

My grandfather is a huge huge gamer. He has that dell xps or whatever it's called. Anywho, he sent me doom 3 so I could play it. And No matter how low I put the configurations everything lags, and is choppy and I can't do jack ****, especially in combat.

Here are my computer specs.

3.4 Ghz
250 gb hard drive.

But still, I think that it should at least run smoothly on low everything. Which is actually laggier then medium settings.

Anything I can do to solve this problem?
i am using a Athlon xp 2400+ (2.3ghz core @ 1.7volt) , 512mb geil ddr400 , 160 gig sata , asus a7n8x-e deluxe & an fx5200 and i can still play doom3 with only a little lag here and then (mind you when i played and finish doom3 , I was using my older case so my pc wasn't overclocked back then) I ran doom3 the other day to see if my overclocking had made any significant difference , but I may have damaged my cpu core with my clocking (i should of left the core volt to auto , but meh , i am getting a better system soon anyway so soon enough i won't care for this system so much , maybe be my server , put it back to default settings , or maybe i just need a better psu , my pc lags when i wake up after using limewire :( that's over dial up mind you , but my older older 233 never did that with file sharing on irc back 3yrs ago :( , must need a reformat but i am lasy :S)

i recently had a friend who got troubles with updating his bios in C&C Generals (such as lag and crashing) may i suggest reverting back to an older bios depending on what chipset you got (my mate is running an 848p chipset for memory) or be evil to yourself and overclock your gfx card a little , you know you want too =p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At Hash, thanks for the advice. As for turning off shadows, no I haven't tried. I will try to look around and see how to do that.

Also I didn't do anything tweaking. Do you know of a place I can go to do that?

I honestly think my video card can handle it. I just don't know why.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
At Hash, thanks for the advice. As for turning off shadows, no I haven't tried. I will try to look around and see how to do that.

Also I didn't do anything tweaking. Do you know of a place I can go to do that?

I honestly think my video card can handle it. I just don't know why.
It could also depend on what manafacturer made your card , some can be quite careless in their designs (if there some cheapo company). I can't remember any dodgie nvidia 3rd party partner companies that are dodgie , but gecube i know are dodgie :( (after remembering my experience with my 9600xt extreme :( that was a nightmare waiting to happen , maybe faulty card , but alot of those cards where faulty :( and look what i'm using now , the spare fx5200 that my brother had lying around the house practicly waiting to get an invite to my agp slot :\).

You said you had a 3.4ghz p4 ? according to doom3 , it's recomened requirements (from id's testing atleat) was a 3ghz chip , 512mb of ram and a 128mb gfx card or up (but fx5200's are crap anyway) and if I remeber correctly doom 3 when I first started up on my system put my gfx settings to med , so i switched em to low res and low gfx settings and turned shadow details off

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
3.4 Ghz
250 gb hard drive.
You seem to know the issue with the pc, also, it might help to defrag your pc, I've noticed better playablitiy in some games after defragging. Also try and lower the resolution, lowest you should have to go is 800x600.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a good chance it's a 64bit 5200, so eh..

Eh, no. 5200 is a completely different core, it just sucks.

i recently had a friend who got troubles with updating his bios in C&C Generals (such as lag and crashing) may i suggest reverting back to an older bios depending on what chipset you got (my mate is running an 848p chipset for memory) or be evil to yourself and overclock your gfx card a little , you know you want too =p
He doesn't need to change his bios for a game... ;E.

Try playing with everything the absolute lowest, everything turned off, nothing, nada. Then go into console ( Ctrl+Alt+~ ) and type timedemo demo1 usecache. Tell me the FPS.

Also, how many processes do you have running in the background? Use task manager to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom