Don't have TF2 yet?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then go get it for only $10 this weekend!

If you're all dressed down and have nothing to play tonight, ten dollars nets you one copy of Team Fortress 2 this weekend. The multiplayer shooter—a personal fave—is half-price right now on Steam.

You'll be able to try out all those new changes that Valve deployed to help balance the Engineer and Spy classes, as well as check out new particle effects. That's right. New particles. So stop bumming off all those free weekends and get this thing already.
http://kotaku.com/5109099/team-fortress-2-is-just-10-this-weekend

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're really desperate, apparently.

I still won't be getting it, as I think TF2 is terrible.
TF is better by far.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're really desperate, apparently.

I still won't be getting it, as I think TF2 is terrible.
TF is better by far.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh god how ignorant you are.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree with legendary I prefer the old tf 1.5, there was a lot more strategy and things you can do in tf 1.5 that I see you cannot do in tf2. For instance conc jumping, also where the hell are the grenades and special grenades?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion wheres and if you cannot respect someone's opinion you should just keep your mouth shut before it brings you even more problems.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They did away with grenades because people just spammed the Hell out of them. If anyone has ever played multiplayer Halo, you'll know that's not conducive to much in the way of strategy. Seeing how hectic servers get without grenades, I don't think having them would be a good idea.

Also, my understanding is that the original TF was very much a lone-wolf game. Classes were so powerful on their own that there was little incentive to work together...you know, as a TEAM?

TF2 came in designed for balance, and by God did they get that down pat. Each class with it's own indispensable strengths, but coupled by a crippling weakness:

Scout: Extremely fast, perfect for capping, but harmless from afar and very low on health.

Pyro: An ambush predator, deadly at close range, able to turn enemies to full retreat. Almost worthless at long range. A direct counter to spies. Easy prey for snipers.

Soldier: Deadly at close range, deadlier at medium. Higher health level and able to access high places. However, also the slowest class, easily overtaken at range in the open.

Demoman: Direct counter to engineer equipment, most effective while camping with remote sticky bombs and mid range time grenades. Useless in close combat due to reliance on slow-fire projectiles.

Engineer: Counter for scouts and most things wanting to access strategic objectives and live. Extremely powerful due to sentries and other assisting equipment. Countered by spies who can sap equipment, and by the engineer's own low health and uselessness in direct combat.

Heavy: Designed for siege and defense. Made lethal at close range by minigun and highest possible health. Counter to pyros and scouts. Susceptible due to easier targeting size, slower movement, and incapability to move easily while firing minigun, which must warm up before firing. Target of choice for spies and snipers who see them as prime kills.

Sniper: Only countered at long range by other snipers, able to safely pick off units from afar with gusto. Made susceptible by constant need to remain scoped, and entirely unaware of close-by threats, which can kill them at leisure. Nearly useless in close combat, though armed with a slightly better melee weapon.

Medic: Able to heal the ranks in situations where they'd be otherwise doomed, buff target's health above normal and offer temporarily invincibility to self and healed unit, able to break stalemates single-handedly and push deep into enemy territory. Countered by inability to do battle while healing units in combat, as well as weaker general weapons (outside of future unlocks).

Spy: Able to infiltrate defenses undetected and sabotage behind enemy lines. Direct counter to engineer buildings and snipers. Countered by extremely low health, inability to take action while under cloak, and easily discovered accidentally by trigger-happy pyros.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dunno, I prefer the idea of NEEDING to work together more than doing things BF1942 style.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Until you go play the game how it was intended in proper 6's or 8's matches don't tell me about the games depth lol.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Until you go play the game how it was intended in proper 6's or 8's matches don't tell me about the games depth lol.
Until you learn how to act mature, please do not post in this thread any longer.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For $10, I'd recommend picking it up.

Sure, I don't sing the game's praises on a regular basis, but as far as team-based shooters go, I can't think of anything better (not, not even L4D, in any way). As someone who usually preferred to play a medic, I can really appreciate the game's aim of trying to elicit good teamwork. Unfortunately, since I wasn't part of any clans and only have a couple of friends that play the game, I didn't often find any preferred servers where people would regularly play with teamwork as their focus; it really kills the experience when the focus of the game is overlooked.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh god how ignorant you are.
You seem to be on a very childish level to my understanding.

Not being able to respect other's opinions is a serious problem , if anything.
No offense, but you should seek professional help.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You seem to be on a very childish level to my understanding.

Not being able to respect other's opinions is a serious problem , if anything.
No offense, but you should seek professional help.
They spent 7 years developing this game, it's pretty much the most balanced team based FPS shooter of all time.

Most everyone that went through all of the old quake DM, TFC, UT and even CS clans has ended up in tf2. There are clans that have existed for years and years before tf2 was even around and it's now their platform of choice for team vs team competitive play. Ever heard of Pandemic? Maddogs? They play tf2 now.

You kids can pick at my maturity over how I handle complete idiocy all day long, but when it boils down to it- you don't know **** about competitive FPS's. You don't even own the game.

Back to your CoD4 then aye?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stating your own opinion doesn't make you an idiot. Most of the time, at least.

I really don't know what your problem is lately, but you should really drop your attitude. If you're going to react immaturely to people's opinions, then please, do not post in this thread anymore.

You're calling us idiots, yet you're flaunting your knowledge of FPS games. I can hardly tell the difference.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stating your own opinion doesn't make you an idiot. Most of the time, at least.

I really don't know what your problem is lately, but you should really drop your attitude. If you're going to react immaturely to people's opinions, then please, do not post in this thread anymore.

You're calling us idiots, yet you're flaunting your knowledge of FPS games. I can hardly tell the difference.
See how you are not posting anything related to the topic and only commenting on my comments? Be constructive perhaps? Debate perhaps?

Dismissing the points im making by ignoring them serves this thread less than my input. Sure I'll stop being a arse about all this, just try to construct some real input for me kthx.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sure I'll stop being a arse about all this, just try to construct some real input for me kthx.
The only real input you should need to stop being an ass about things is when a member of the moderation team tells you to cut it.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just try to construct some real input for me kthx.
You seem to delegate "real input" to what you personally agree with. It seems as if another person has been hit with a typical side-effect on the Internet. I recommend we don't do what this troll wants, and have us tippy-toeing around his opinion. As of right now, scientists and veteran psychologists are trying to correlate puberty and growing-up with unreasonably rigid, but informative banter (flaming) on the Internet. It's clearly become an epidemic.

As far as TFC vs TF2...

TFC turned into a grenade-script fest, and medics camping spawn points.

TF2 is basically people arguing in pubs for someone to play medic. I'm not familiar with the 6v6, 7v7, 8v8, etc. matches. But, I assume it's about keeping the spy from killing your medic, which is the signal for the other team to run past the heavy who's sole purpose is to keep the other team from pushing as fast as they want to.

Team Red: I CAN'T ****ING BELIEVE YOU PYROS DON'T KNOW HOW TO WATCH THE MEDIC FOR SPIES! HOW DO WE TAKE THE BASE WITHOUT UBERMODE, AHHHH!!! ****ING NOOBS!!!

Team Blu: I wonder if they realize our team is 4 Spies and 2 Scouts...

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are no pyros (see one maybe once every week, and they are only used in certain situations) in proper games, 2 scouts 2 sollys 1 med 1 demo. Scouts can interchange with supports though otherwise they are the class restrictions. PL maps arn't played in proper games. There are a mountain of strats regarding team combinations, back capping, giving points away, distractions, uber take outs and popping times- and all that is the simple stuff you don't think about while playing.

There's just alot too it, and to see people discrediting it that haven't really given it the time it deserves- is a shame imo.

Telling them they're idiots in an effort to get them to understand is probably the furthest thing from constructive to my cause, but im pretty impatient and intolerant to somethings. You might have to forgive that.

Anyway, $10 go buy it- really it is worth it once you get past the simple exterior.

[ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHtEZWBJqQ[/ame]

There's so much order in that madness you wouldn't pick up on either.

Mmmm

Last edited:
Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have not yet experienced a clan match in tf2 but I was in a clan and multiple clans for tf and I have to say if you know how to work as a team in tf it is by far much more fun. Conc jumping, rocket jumping(Which I am glad they left in tf2) were main essentials for getting around and escaping the enemies. There should be grenades in tf2 but limit them to 1 or 2 to reduce grenade spam but even then I don't think back when I was playing there was much grenade spam.

TFC/TF1.5 will always be remembered as one of my favorite multi player shooters of all time cause it was the first serious teamplay game for myself and I got highly addicted to it when it was first released by opening my own server, hanging out with people from a server called [Emoba] and becoming an admin and learning all about the rcon console.

As for tf2 for $10 yeah its a good price but in my opinion does not hold a candle to the original tfc/tf1.5.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are no pyros (see one maybe once every week, and they are only used in certain situations) in proper games
I'm, by no means, a "hardcore" TF2 player, but I think your definition of a "proper" game may be a bit rigid. I don't, personally, think it's particularly inclusive to plenty of other games (be they casual or competitive) that include all of the classes you claimed aren't involved in a "proper" game.

I think that's part of why I liked TF2 so much initially (not that I don't like it anymore, I just got a bit bored with it for a while). There can be any number of successful team configurations (I'm gauging "success" by how readily the team can prevent their opponents from achieving their goal, regardless of which type of map is being played, and regardless of what strategies are employed in doing so), so one game is never quite the same as another. Imposing a rigid standard of how big a "proper" team is, and what specific configuration a "proper" team should contain is fine for some folks, I'm sure. However, I firmly believe that such fan-imposed, rigid, "universal" standards are a bit ridiculous for a good number of other players (no, not just "lol noobs!"; I mean all sorts of other players running the gamut from casual to incredibly competitive).

That's not to say you aren't entitled to have a preference - if you like your 6v6 and 8v8 matches with very specific class configurations, that's absolutely fine. But calling that the "proper" way to play is way off the mark. If every other way to play is improper, they should all be excluded entirely. However, they aren't. The game was, clearly, developed to be played in a manner where people are able to play as whichever class they want, with the focus of the gameplay being to stall the enemy from achieving an objective and aiding your own team in achieving its own. You can do that in any number of ways beyond the highly exclusive model you described in a previous post.

...that's almost as damning as the time I was told I was playing my mage "wrong" in WoW :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm, by no means, a "hardcore" TF2 player, but I think your definition of a "proper" game may be a bit rigid. I don't, personally, think it's particularly inclusive to plenty of other games (be they casual or competitive) that include all of the classes you claimed aren't involved in a "proper" game.

I think that's part of why I liked TF2 so much initially (not that I don't like it anymore, I just got a bit bored with it for a while). There can be any number of successful team configurations (I'm gauging "success" by how readily the team can prevent their opponents from achieving their goal, regardless of which type of map is being played, and regardless of what strategies are employed in doing so), so one game is never quite the same as another. Imposing a rigid standard of how big a "proper" team is, and what specific configuration a "proper" team should contain is fine for some folks, I'm sure. However, I firmly believe that such fan-imposed, rigid, "universal" standards are a bit ridiculous for a good number of other players (no, not just "lol noobs!"; I mean all sorts of other players running the gamut from casual to incredibly competitive).

That's not to say you aren't entitled to have a preference - if you like your 6v6 and 8v8 matches with very specific class configurations, that's absolutely fine. But calling that the "proper" way to play is way off the mark. If every other way to play is improper, they should all be excluded entirely. However, they aren't. The game was, clearly, developed to be played in a manner where people are able to play as whichever class they want, with the focus of the gameplay being to stall the enemy from achieving an objective and aiding your own team in achieving its own. You can do that in any number of ways beyond the highly exclusive model you described in a previous post.

...that's almost as damning as the time I was told I was playing my mage "wrong" in WoW :p
I'm just saying, it's the standard for scrims, clan matches and competitions. Don't misunderstand either, experimentation is encouraged, it's just in 5 CP maps it seems to be the proven formula, on grav and dust, spys , snipers, heavys, engis and pyros get a run if the circumstances are suitable. In the games i play also, people specialize at a class, and that's what they get recruited for in a clan. "Looking for Demo" etc etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom