Does weight lifting stunt growth?

Best answers
Holy Crap! Two threads in one day? Securitys on a roll!

Anywho, me and Zeonix had a little discussion on this topic. My question... Simple...

Do you think that weight lifting stunts growth?

Me? I dont think it does, I lift and i have a lot of experience and knowledge on this subject.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see how it possibly could stunt growth. In fact I'd say it promotes growth if anything, though I admit I know next to nothing on the subject.

Best answers
Exactly, the majority of scientists state that weight lifting at a any age, especially when you are younger (16<) actually promotes growth in muscle, endurance, stamina, and your height. Im not sure if this is proven fact, but there have been countless experiments on this and they have been conclusive that weight lifting promotes growth.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I said weight lifting before 16 can damage you.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
When you lift weights your body develops more testosterone (sp?). This helps MUSCLE growth but counters your growth hormones and thus it is bad for growth length wise.

But youd have to do a lot of lifting for it to make a big difference I think.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GrimReaper said:
When you lift weights your body develops more testosterone (sp?). This helps MUSCLE growth but counters your growth hormones and thus it is bad for growth length wise.
If that were true women on average would be taller than men. This is not so.

Best answers
yea i think weight lifting does stunt growth. My friend starting lifting when he was 13 and now he's 19 and he's only 5'3.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good point pain, but I really don't know, Grimreaper also has a point there, but then again pain, woman are smaller built... sorry for cr@ppy post, just have nothing GOOD to say.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Im just saying what I heard in biologie class last year. But then I did almost fail biologie...

Anyways, I think its differnent from person to person. Some people might be more affected by what apparently stops growth than others.

Best answers
@Me111 - Yeah, but you dont know that it is hereditary or a disease or what. Just because he lifted at a young age and is short 6 years later doesnt mean it was from lifting. Like I said, it could be from anything.

Best answers
No it's not hereditary, his dad is like 6'3 and his mom is 5'10.

Best answers
well what could it be then? it can't be hereditary so what else?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
walmart, unfortunately, while you might be knowledgeable, you have aproximately 1 experiance point in my book, because i can still remember the thread where you said "omg i r gonna start lifting".

your not the guru, although you might know more than most, your lack of experiance does show, because your arrogence is also as clear as your ambition. you seem to believe your greater than everyone here, when you arent. (sarutobi wins).

please, in the name of your patron deity, try not to come off so... big headed. believe me, it wins no friends, and makes you look like a jerk (i know, i am one ;)).

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
@Me111: Does he smoke or hang around people who smoke? Does he consume a lot of caffine? As far as I'm aware both of those can stunt growth.

@AxMan: Why do you think you're a jerk?

Best answers
I know he doesn't smoke or hang around people who do, but he does brink a lot of soda. But then again, i do too and i'm 6'0 and i don't lift weights.

Best answers
@AxMan - You are right, I take back what I said about experience. I've been lifting for 4 months... I think. But Im not trying to come off as a jerk and I DEFINATELY dont think that I am better than everyone else.

Hell my bench press is 110, (thank god my chest is my weakest) THAT SUCKS! And im positive that atleast 85% of the forum members can bench plenty more than that. So I know that I am not better than everyone else.

@me111 - Im not sure what it could be, it can be anything, including lifting. But for it to be weight lifting he would've had to lift at the age of 11-12 at the latest and it would've had to be very heavy.

I searched google and some other websites. Some scientists and university professors claim that lifting will not cause your growth to slow or stop all together. But others claim that if you lift extremely heavy and at a very young age (before your growth plates fully form) then it can cause damage or stunt growth.

Im split down the middle about this issue. Half says yes, and half says no. But Im leaning towards yes for some reason.

Best answers
Ok but i have 1 question, how come my post amount never goes up it always stays at 8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom