Does weight lifting stunt growth?

Best answers
I wonder who these doctors, scientists and pro body builders are, and who they have experimented this on. How much the kids were lifting, and how hard they were pushing themselves.

personally Doctors and scientsists say all kinds of ****, doesnt mean its true, doesnt mean it isnt. But I'll be damned if I take medical advice from a guy who'se arms are bigger than his head.

heres an example as to what I'm saying

take a new engine. for the first few hundred miles . you gotta be reaal nice to the engine, or your gonna cause permanant damage, atleast untill you break the engine in properly.

id assume same princible could apply to a developing body.

Best answers
I agree with you 100% there. Atleast with the doctors, scientists, and pro bodybuilders.

But the whole engine metaphor... maybe.

Best answers
I've been lifting weights for about 2-3 years, and I'm 14. It hasn't stunted my growth yet. I've actually grown a lot since then, though, my dad tells me you shouldn't do it two days in a row, or else it can cause you to lose muscle. Like he says, do it one day, wait the next day, then do it the day after.

Best answers
It really depends, its alright for you to lift day after day as long as you arent working the same muscle groups day after day, or else you could induce muscle damage. You should always rest a muscle group for atleast 48 hours before you lift again.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mccdbz5 said:
I've been lifting weights for about 2-3 years, and I'm 14. It hasn't stunted my growth yet. I've actually grown a lot since then, though, my dad tells me you shouldn't do it two days in a row, or else it can cause you to lose muscle. Like he says, do it one day, wait the next day, then do it the day after.
How would you know? You can't turn back time and stop weight lifting ot see if it stunts it or not.

The fact is, weight lifting DOES NOT stunt growth. It's the weights that pull you down. Thus increasing your weight, plus gravity. It's scientifically proven that while you sleep, you can grow on average anywhere from a couple of cm, to a 1/2 an inch. When you wake up, gravity pushes on your vertibre and you "shrink"

Well, weights only further that, but you gain it back while you sleep.

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
How would you know? You can't turn back time and stop weight lifting to see if it stunts it or not.
How do I know what? Your post doesn't even make sense as to why you quoted me...I was posting what I thought. That's all. Plus, I already knew the whole gravity pulls you down thing, but you're not suppose to work-out too much, or it can have bad effects. I've read information like that in my dad's "Men's Health" magazines.

@ Walmart Security - I work all my muscles everytime I work out, that's why I was assuming what I said.

Best answers
all of your muscles? how long does it take? It takes me 1 hour to do 3 muscle groups, let alone all 12 major ones, that's like 4 hours for me.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mccdbz5 said:
How do I know what? Your post doesn't even make sense as to why you quoted me...I was posting what I thought. That's all. Plus, I already knew the whole gravity pulls you down thing, but you're not suppose to work-out too much, or it can have bad effects. I've read information like that in my dad's "Men's Health" magazines.

@ Walmart Security - I work all my muscles everytime I work out, that's why I was assuming what I said.
No it makes perfect sense, try reading your quote and reading what i have to say about it. Still don't understand? Reread it.

Li Qin

L
The main thing that must be done with any sort of train especially during puberty is it has to be done in moderation. Excessive training may not stunt you're growth or even cause problems, but more than likely when you grow older it will casue some serious problems. During puberty I would sugest to do enough exersize to keep fit, but not to become "buffed" or "fully ripped" as those often cause serious physical health problems.

As for the "super" kids more than likey when they hit puberty they're gonna suffer heart attacks or something of the like due to how their bodies have been develpoed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its a very sensitive issue. I actually asked my trainer this about 4 years ago when I first started lifting. When was 14 or 15 I joined the gym and she set me on mostly smaller weights, and a lot more balance stuff (jump rope, step aerobics, lunges with small weights, etc..) then when I turned 16 she started powerlifting with me. The reason is because until your about 16, your body (muscles, tendons, everything) is still growing and is not ready to handle that kind of pressure and weight. Its not really that it can stunt your growth and effect your height, its that you can permenetly damage your muslces and you will have many problems when you get older. I dont belive it can effect your height.

*edit* just now read the post above mine, and yeah, basically what he said

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats really wierd. I think when you eat more and when you loose more of your fat, you grow taller. Not sure how it works but it is definally happening to me and i'm healthy as ****. D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
It's scientifically proven that while you sleep, you can grow on average anywhere from a couple of cm, to a 1/2 an inch.
id just like to point out, that a couple of cm is more, than 1/2 an inch ;)

as for you swift, ive found that the more intensively i train, the more i eat, yet im still losing weight, and getting fitter. its just because your body is using more energy, and your metabolism is increasing with your exercise.

the average male should be consuming around 1,500 calories per day.

when i was training intensively, i was taking in around 9,000... and i still felt drained every couple of days.

the more you exercise, the more your body will alter your metabolism to adjust to its new needs, the more it adjusts your metabolism, the more food you will need to consume to turn into energy.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
id just like to point out, that a couple of cm is more, than 1/2 an inch ;)

as for you swift, ive found that the more intensively i train, the more i eat, yet im still losing weight, and getting fitter. its just because your body is using more energy, and your metabolism is increasing with your exercise.

the average male should be consuming around 1,500 calories per day.

when i was training intensively, i was taking in around 9,000... and i still felt drained every couple of days.

the more you exercise, the more your body will alter your metabolism to adjust to its new needs, the more it adjusts your metabolism, the more food you will need to consume to turn into energy.

1,600 Calories (a day) - Sedentary women and some older adults
2,200 Calories (a day) - Most children, teenage girls, active women, and many sedentary men.
2,800 Calories (a day) - Teenage boys, many active men, and some very active women.

Each person is very different though, which is why the best way to go is by seeing a trained professional.

As for weight-lifting stunting your growth, as far as I know, it does not. I've seen my doctor, my coaches at school, and all of them never mention that weight lifting stunts your growth. I could be wrong (along with everyone else) which is why I strongly recommend that you see a doctor, a personal trainer, etcetera and ask them personally. Asking on the net should be the last thing you do.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was told they weight lifting does stunt growth by my mum/brother when I was younger, but I did it anyway. I'm younger then my brother but yet I am taller then him, could be a jean build up or he could of possibly stunted his growth (he did go to the gym quite a bit when he was younger).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
1,600 Calories (a day) - Sedentary women and some older adults
2,200 Calories (a day) - Most children, teenage girls, active women, and many sedentary men.
2,800 Calories (a day) - Teenage boys, many active men, and some very active women.
thinking about it, your right...

however, its nice thinking that the marines give you 48 hour rat packs, which have 3000 calories... your supposed to eat half a day. niiiice :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm. Yeah sorry, i don't work with centimeters. So sorry about that. But i'm sure you get what i mean. >.>

I'd like to point out that there is a difference between Calories and calories.

calorie: 1 Kilocalorie or 1000 Calories.

So yes, when you see that 5 cal on that subway sandwhich you're actually looking at 5,000 Calories.

wikipedia said:
The kilogram calorie is today also called kilocalorie (symbol: kcal). The international standard definition of the term "calorie" (symbol: cal) refers today to the gram calorie; this way, the term kilocalorie can also be interpreted to mean 1000 calories. However, where the term "calorie" is used in nutrition and food labeling, it commonly refers to the kilocalorie.
(Take note that wikipedia is a dumbass, and doesn't realize that the capitol C and the lowercase c make a difference in what they mean.)

Best answers
Me111 said:
yea my friend probably was powerlifting, because by 14 he was able to bench like 200+
If you mean 200 KG, that's practically impossible by year 14, and if it is, show me pictures or any type of proof.
I've personally been benching all the time, and because of my bad setback I still am switfting around 110-130kg, so I simply don't believe that. (Yes I know that weight blabla also has a meaning, but it's 14 years old).

I've been lifiting solidly for about 4 years now (I just turned 18), if you look aside from my 1 year break because of nerval damage.
There are alot of ways to define weight lifting, but if you go by the grunt meaning of it, no it cannot slow your growth. ANd neither should you do it at early age (12 +/-), because then it can damage your body in several ways.

IT can prevent you from growing due *blabla*(I don't fully remember the cause, I think it had something to do with your body not being fully developed to take on heavy muscle ripping), and it can also give you nerve+skeletal damage. But all this can happend at any age as well, depending on you and again what you define as "weight lifting".

So to conclude. No "weight lifting" should be fine, as long as you don't start at a very early age (or at least if you do you should slow down)or if your body has a cripple that prevents you from getting the full potential of your muscles/blabla, don't know the words. <--- half drunk

Best answers
what happened with my friend was that he was benching every day for about 5 hours straight and doing other lifting after that since he was 13, so when he was 14 he was able to lift that much weight.

Best answers
Me111 said:
what happened with my friend was that he was benching every day for about 5 hours straight and doing other lifting after that since he was 13, so when he was 14 he was able to lift that much weight.
For the love of god I hope someone bans you.

You _Can't_ bench 5 hours a day. It's literally impossible unless you bench the metalpool alone. And if you do that, you won't rip your muscles = thus you won't get any stronger. You can't bench every day either, because then again you'll just damage your muscles and won't improve at ALL.

BUUUSTEEED

My god....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom