Does weight lifting stunt growth?

Best answers
That is extremely off topic but whatever... your post count doesnt rise in the off topic section of the forums. Only in the other sections.\
-----------------------------------------------------

Now back to this issue.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I've always been told that lifting too much at an early age can cause permanent damage to your body/growth but lifting itself wouldn't, which matches what Security just found so I'd agree with that. Or what he found a couple of posts ago that is.

Best answers
Yeah, i am agreeing with that completely. Doctors say that if you lift very heavy, like powerlifting or maxing at a young age can cause your growth plates to close up early, stunting growth. So I am starting to sound like a hypacrit, sorry bout that. But we arent entirely sure yet.

But non the less, keep those opinions and comments flowing.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Me111 said:
Ok but i have 1 question, how come my post amount never goes up it always stays at 8?
You've been hacked by Phil :eek:

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Yeah I think its all about balance. If you over do it at a young age you might damage your plates and youll be a angry midget forever.

Best answers
yea my friend probably was powerlifting, because by 14 he was able to bench like 200+

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For some reason I just think that it will stunt it, it just makes more sense, dunno why, and yeah grimand others you're right.

*stares at cold steel*.........

Best answers
Holy crap, its only been an hour and we already have 27 posts? ****!

I've been searching google. There is a world record holding 15 year old that has been lifting for quite a while (doesnt say how long) and the kid is 6'2". Also, some doctors say that it really depends on your bone structure and how strong it is. If you have weak bones then they can cause you to stop growing. If you have strong bones, than you can keep on growing, despite the fact that you lift.

I think it all depends on the amount you lift, the strength of your bones and heredity. It is composed of many factors and really varies from person to person. So there isnt a direct answer of right or wrong.

Best answers
Did you hear about that kid who is 12 and is known as "little hercules"? He is supposedly the world's strongest kid.

Best answers
I say drink your milk. No powerlifting, but getting toned shouldn't stunt growth.
I have a friend that's been lifting since he was 12 I believe. Now, he's shorter than all of the boys, but I don't think it's from lifting. He never did it excessively, his sister is older than him but shorter, and he's still taller than all of the girls I know.
So... getting toned is good, building up to bench 300+ is crazy.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
His father was feeding him steroids while he was growing up. Thats not a joke, btw.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
o_O.......that's one weird father.

Best answers
Yeah, the discovery channel did a documentary on him. His daddy fed him steroids like Zeo said and then got him lifting very early. In fact he had a very high color belt by the age of 8, im not sure if it was a blackbelt but it was high up there.

nge

Best answers
I can promise it's not the lifting itself that will lead to "stunted growth." That's a myth. However, because your muscles are still developing at a much more rapid rate at this time, you CAN stunt the development of them. It has nothing to do with height, but if you hurt yourself badly because your body is still too young to have developed powerful muscles, you're going to make your muscles develop (aka "grow") slower or deformed.

It's very risky to weight-train at a young age, but if you're determined and DO NOT OVER-DO it, you can do so with favorible results.

Best answers
yeah ... you can actually stunt your growth from over stressing muscles while they are still developing.

just like anything else, do it in moderation, dont over do it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're not supposed to do lifting when you're doing the most growing and changing (puberty).

Best answers
Actually, doctors, scientists, and pro bodybuilders say that lifting in the middle of puberty (ages 14-16) is benificial. A good place to start, if you may.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom