Does proxy interfere with STEAM?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys I have yet ANOTHER problem. When I try to run Steam (the old fashioned way) it begins updating but after a few minutes tells me that it can't connect to Steam Network. I don't have any Warez programs, I know they do interfere, but is it maybe proxy that's preventing it from accessing the network, my internet works only through proxy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My firewall allows Steam to access the net, and if I turn off proxy my connection doesn't work at all. And I tried reinstalling Steam like twenty million times and it doesn't work!

Best answers
Hmm sounds like what used to happen to me. Are you u sure your firewalls are allowing it throught the right port. I have etrust personal firewall. And that works like i used to have Mac. Affee.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doesn't work, I tried turning off my firewall completely, and it still doesn't work. Maybe there's some kinda firewall program built in the proxy (at least that's what my genius dad says) that's preventing steam from accessing the net. Oh well, soon I'll get a connection that works without proxy so everything will be fine. Yay!!:D

Best answers
yeah you should get rid of proxy and get what i have cox enternet connection etrust personal firewall and enterney explorer or somehow get into to proxy and see what port is blocking it.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't use your router's DMZ to access steam, take your PC out of the DMZ and manually adjust the port access settings.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DMZ? This is the ESF Forum, man. What the hell are u talking about?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He means the routers DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)

It totaly ignores the routers builtin firewall for teh specific lan IP.

my router settings said:
DMZ(Demilitarized Zone) is used to allow a single computer on the LAN to be exposed to the Internet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How do I do that DMZ thing that Cucumba was talking about? I tried searching in Windows Help and nothing came up. Could someone please explain me this process 'cause I don't know how. Plz! I use Windows XP. BTW, I don't use a router, just a firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall to be exact.

P.S. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought he was talking about DragonMod Z.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I should just turn off my firewall? Well, I tried, but it doesn't work! Well, I guess I have to get rid of proxy.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have Windows XP Service Pack 2, it might be a good idea to turn off the Windows Firewall as it tends to cause problems with games.

The proxy... You can try to turn that off, I don't think it would really do anything, but go ahead and see if it does.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I turned off all the firewalls completely, and if I turn off proxy the connection WONT WORK AT ALL, as I said in previous posts. But I'm starting to think that it's not proxy that's ****ing it up. I recently bought an internet packet which allows me to download unlimited amounts of data for one month, and I really need it for downloading DBZ Episodes, but that's another story. The thing is, that packet only enables the following things: Web, E-mail, FTP and Chat. Does that mean that programs like STEAM can't access the net? I've had this same problem with all the other programs I've tried to give access to the internet. So, am I right, or am I wrong?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most likely, that is your problem. I would wager that steams ports are blocked by your ISP's package.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
YAY! Everything is working now that I got a new connection thanx guys for the help ur the best! Moderators u can close this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom