Do you know any graphical engines of this type ?

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well basically are there any graphical engine , that allows you to import models , animations , also RGBA blend maps and then fly around and preview it ?
And so it's not with too much programming , and possibly with editor.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pretty good list of some game engines out there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

I don't know what you mean by RGBA blend maps, but I'm assuming Cry Engine 3 was no good for you since that's what you were using.

In terms of popularity, off the top of my head... Have you looked at Unreal 3? Unity3D? Ogre3d? Torque3D (and if it's out the MIT version of this)? Gameplay3D? Irrlicht? Doom 3? Libgdx? Panda3D? C4Engine. I don't think Blender is an engine but it might be good for what you want to do.

You really need to know how to program for most of those. Unity might be a good bet since it has a good editor and you can get by without needing to know much programming.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well basically RGBA blend maps is the technique of texturing , by using red , blue , green , and alpha , and then replacing those by a script or code by a tileable texture(each color represents a texture) , and they don't make seams but blend together.

Cryengine 3 was not good,because it wasn't practical to everytime export the mesh as a .gfc and then reexport the textures as special cryengine material .

I'm looking at unity3D right now as im writing, last time i checked i couldn't import the model , but now i am able to , maybe I'll study more on that.
All those engines you counted , are not pretty good except unity3D, unreal (which is really good and i would use it , but it's lagging for me for no reason >.< ) and ogre(but it requires a lot of programming and doesn't have an editor).

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unity would probably be your best bet if the problems you had were fixed, especially since it's multi platform out the box

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yea I'm somehow now really looking into unity3D , first of all i could make an releaseable game if i wanted to , also I see that it's not certainly "bad to medium" graphics, and with a bit of effort i could make it good looking. Also i think i found a asset that allows you to paint textures on a model.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you trying to make a game? I thought you just wanted an environment where you could walk around your island?

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Are you trying to make a game? I thought you just wanted an environment where you could walk around your island?
Well the game would be like a showcase, just wandering around(i mean if it's good made why not release it as a demo game , not just movie). Well atleast to a point if i don't go crazy and make a game with story (heeey that gives me an idea :eek:), and in that case i would have to learn unityscript or C#(which one is better in your oppinion ?)

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can also use Boo, which is similar to Python, but there aren't as many code examples of Boo out there, and I think it'd be a mistake to go that route.

I don't think there's a wrong choice between C# and Unityscript. I'd choose C# mainly because of the first point I listed below, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

• A lot of people refer to Unityscript as Javascript, and it is similar, but it's actually a bastardization of it. I'm not sure why they opted to do this. C# is actually the real C# language
  • Unityscript is probably a little easier to learn
  • Unity has more tutorials written in Unityscript compared to C# (judging from the last time I fooled around with Unity)
  • C# is very popular in general, and thus has more general code examples on the 'net
  • It looks like there's not a significant difference in performance between the two.
  • You probably don't care about this, but you can use Visual Studio if you go with C#

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I would suggest you go the harder road now (C#) and it will pay off more later on i.e. do it right the first time.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I remember i was gonna learn unityscript year or two ago, i got to a place where i could make movable character without body , and with flashlight, but with references only. I understand that if i learn C# it would be a really big advantage , as i could later make my own codes in C# and it's advanced programming language. I'll think about this a bit more.

Also i found the blend map thingy but it's with vertex paint , and to get pretty detailed textures , you must have a lot of vertexes , so if i have low poly model , it's hard to make the texture precisely. There are pricy assets that meets my needs but i can't afford them. So if i learn c# i could make them myself .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom