Do Tuesday game releases piss you off?

Do Tuesday releases piss you off?

• Total voters
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally hate how game publishers have chosen to distribute games on Tuesdays. Usually this means, in the US, they ship on Tuesday and arrive on Wednesday.

In the case of digitally distributed games, they're released on Tuesday. This makes absolutely no sense to me. The best example I can give is the game Pirates of the Burning Sea, which came out a few months ago.

It came out right after a 3-day weekend, when I had lots of free time and could've been playing the hell out of it. If this was just one game, that'd be fine--but this pisses me off time after time.

Anybody else feel the same? Or not?

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Why does it matter? You dont have to jump at a game the nanosecond its out. Just go shopping during the week and throttle it on the next weekend...

Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
For one, if it's a story-driven game, spoilers become much more likely to spread--and people in online, competitive games can make significant advantages in the short term.

Secondly, it's really frustrating to have just spent a weekend bored, only for a new game you've been waiting for, for ages, to come out and not be able to play it until the weekend.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
But..its only half a week...

Seriously, how much of an advantage can players get in a few days of getting it out the box? You should have work or school to occupy yourself until you have the time to play.
Dont put yourself in the position where youll find something out you wouldve preferred to wait for. There are more things to do in a day than play videogames, theres never an excuse to be bored.
I think this is one of the most ridiculous examples of impatience ive ever seen.

Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't agree. The vast majority of gamers either:

1)Have school Monday through Friday OR
2)Have work Monday through Friday

For these people, releasing right before the weekend makes the most sense. It's not "impatience" nor does it only affect one game. In the long course of an MMO which may last 10 years, yes--the day it was released doesn't matter. But when games are consistently released in the early working week when most people don't have time to play them is annoying.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
So then, practically nobody can play during the days from Tues to Fri afternoon, hence everyone is in the same boat, noone is advantaged.

Whether the game came out on Tues, or Fri, you would all still have the same window to play it.

The most likely reason the day is Tuesday is because everybody gets a few days in order to be a consumer before the weekend. I dont see how this disadvantages anybody.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Although the only game I'm looking forward to this year gets released on a Friday, I completely agree that having releases early in the week just doesn't make sense. The point of having a game is to play it. If you're going to release a game when most people can't play it, what's the point? I had a similar experience with City of Heroes. They had a new issue and a double XP day (not even a weekend as they do now) right after Christmas vacation ended, and on a monday. Why? For what purpose?

If you're going to release a game, do it on a Thursday or Friday.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Alea, people will always be playing the game before you regardless of when its released, and also there will be people better than you, regardless if they got it before or after you.

Also, why get crappy that games come out when you have to study / work?

Get crappy that you have to study / work, when games come out.

God I love my life.

Death from Above
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Means nothing to me

I work in a supermarket. I get 1 weekend off a month and that's only recently. I've gone months without weekends.

Although I get paid Wednesday

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Unfortunately that's just the way the market tumbles. Tuesday is the slowest day in retail so they pick it up by putting all of the movie, music, and game releases on that particular day. It doesn't really have to do with game publishers, it's retail outlets. I don't mind it, personally, because I can usually go a full year before playing a game without hitting spoilers so long as I am careful of where I search around for information, and it gives the store the opportunity to get another shipment by the weekend to fill out the shelves.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Such a harsh poll option! But yeah I don't mind a Tuesday release day. I usually don't get it on the day of, but there are those that I do, and I say "**** it" to the work I have to play the game I just got for a little bit and then finish the work.

I am very sensitive when work blatantly gets in the way of my free time.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Movies come out on thursdays/fridays. That's probably why. I don't mind it, since I usually don't get games the day they come out, and the last game I played was Warcraft 3 that I borrowed for my friend. I like being behind the curve in terms of gaming. Although I did buy Assassin's Creed and CoD4 very shortly after they came out.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Burst Limit is coming out on Tuesday! :O If you pre-order the mofo, you may be able to get it on the 10th, otherwise most people won't see it until the 11th, or later.

However, you can Premium order it off of the Sears website, and expect it on the 9th. Buuya.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You know you don't have to buy stuff the second it comes out.

If you wait till friday to buy it then zomg every game comes out on friday!

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
so they deliberately release games on tusedays?
Or is it just a coincidence?

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh i dont mind.

While i can count myself as a gamer i mostly disslike 80% of the new releases anyhow ^^

Oldies FTW.

I may theck the ones comming out this year in 3 to 5 years though ^^

And i never once had spoiler problems.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
well I guess this is works better for the company's point of few, if you ship thuesday you have 3 more days to take care of alot of stuff that also happens with a game release. ( think administration, game support, customer/distribution support etc. )
releasing before the weekend only makes more sense in the eye of the customer/gamer I'm afraid.
Plus they also have the luxury that games will be bought no matter what day their released.

Having a game on wednesday and disliking it you couldn't play it the weekend before is making you sound a tad bit spoiled honesty. :p ;)

( obviously though, if I had a choice, I'd go for weekend releases too :D )

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Tuesday is the slowest day in retail so they pick it up by putting all of the movie, music, and game releases on that particular day. It doesn't really have to do with game publishers, it's retail outlets.
It is retail. Statistics prove that Tuesdays are the slowest days in retail, so they put the new releases out on Tuesdays, and that includes movies. Mileage may vary from country to country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom