Do Pretty People Earn More Values in Life!!

Best answers
Studies show attractive students get more attention and higher evaluations from their teachers, good-looking patients get more personalized care from their doctors, and handsome criminals receive lighter sentences than less attractive convicts. But how much do looks matter at work?

The ugly truth, according to economics professors Daniel Hamermesh of the University of Texas and Jeff Biddle of Michigan State University, is that plain people earn 5 to 10 percent less than people of average looks, who in turn earn 3 to 8 percent less than those deemed good-looking.

These findings concur with other research that shows the penalty for being homely exceeds the premium for beauty and that, across all occupations, the effects are greater for men than women.

A London Guildhall University survey of 11,000 33-year-olds found that unattractive men earned 15 percent less than those deemed attractive, while plain women earned 11 percent less than their prettier counterparts. In their report "Beauty, Productivity and Discrimination: Lawyers', Looks and Lucre," Hamermesh and Biddle found that the probability of a male attorney attaining early partnership directly correlates with how handsome he is.

Size matters, too. A study released last year by two professors at the University of Florida and the University of North Carolina found that tall people earn considerably more money throughout their careers than their shorter coworkers, with each inch adding about $789 a year in pay.

A survey of male graduates of the University of Pittsburgh found that the tallest students' average starting salary was 12 percent higher than their shorter colleagues'. The London Guildhall study showed that overweight women are more likely to be unemployed, and that those who are working earn on average five percent less than their trimmer peers.

According to Dr. Gordon Patzer, who has spent over three decades studying and writing about physical attractiveness, human beings are hard-wired to respond more favorably to attractive people. Even studies of babies show they will look more intently and longer at prettier faces.

"Good-looking men and women are generally judged to be more talented, kind, honest and intelligent than their less attractive counterparts," says Patzer. "Controlled studies show people go out of their way to help attractive people - of the same and opposite sex - because they want to be liked and accepted by good-looking people."

I found all this to be pretty messed up, there basically saying that you have to be tall and pretty to get all the great and equal values that life has to offer like higher pay and ect. They also claim that people who are prettier and taller are clearly more tanlented....Do any of you guys agree with any of this?!? or whats your oppion on it.

P.S. Im not ugly or anything i just thinks its kinda messed up that things are like that

Best answers
Well, i have nothing to worry bout then, im really tall 6'4 lol, nah j/m (i am that tall tho) that is pretty messed up. And i think some of its true cause of my uncle - hes tall i dont know bout handsome, peopel tend to think so, but he makes good goodmoney.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
lifes not fair

sad but true
It's true, a lot of doors will open for some but not for others based purely on looks.

Best answers
well that sux... i am tal, but my looks ain't perfect :S and well, u can feel that people whos "prettyer" gets more attention...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a good story that recently happened to me that relates to this subject--although really, it's always happened to me. I'm not a good looking guy, and I get the **** end of the stick in almost everything I do.

This story is about a group of friends I have who is almost entirely female. Any of you who might know me outside of these forums would know that I have an INCREDIBLE HATRED for female retardedness. So for me to watch a whole group of them act so shallow...well lets just say it was a miracle I didn't strangle them all for being such *******s.

Unfortunately, since I'm in work, it'll have to wait.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
u know what makes the study false?

an unknown variable know as bill gates. he is one is not good lookign nor is he tall. and he is the richest perosn in the world.

also a man named mick jagger, the singer for the rolling stones, this guy is a big lipped having ugly mother ****er.

Best answers
that statement is very true.....It just burns me up that "pretier" people get all the good benefits but i guess thats why they put hackers on this earth, since tons of those "pretty" people dont know hardly anything about computers they can get screwed my us with the knowledge to screw them over, mostly if they tend to be ignorent, stuck up or just plain asses twards the other people......o well thats life accept it or not your choice but hey theres nothing anyone can do about this......people can still legally turn away bussiness from people they dont find "pretty"

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
1m4 0wn y0 455 said:
u know what makes the study false?

an unknown variable know as bill gates. he is one is not good lookign nor is he tall. and he is the richest perosn in the world.

also a man named mick jagger, the singer for the rolling stones, this guy is a big lipped having ugly mother ****er.
The exception doesn't make the rule, those are two people out of billions.

What I'm wondering about, since unattractive people make less and taller people make more, will it balance out with me, a tall unattractive person. o_O

Best answers
dont you just love it when threads like this give you a big confidence boost?

i guess its just me, since i currently am repeatedly getting rejected from jobs.

Best answers
Cyfore said:
dont you just love it when threads like this give you a big confidence boost?

i guess its just me, since i currently am repeatedly getting rejected from jobs.

I take it you were using sarcism when u said (dont you just love it when threads like this give you a big confidence boost?) Im sorry i didnt mean to make this thread to make anyone feel bad or watever so i apoligize cyfore.

And im sorry to hear about your job issues.

Best answers
im tall and consider myself a decent looking man. but yeah it was kinda sarcastic cuz not everyone feels the same way i do. i was serious to tho. no need to apologate.

hopefully these studies turn out to be true for me tho.

PS kagome, your text in your sig = super dee duper!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm, i know what u mean, i do sociology, it isnt just looks that make a difference, social class, race, money, sex, etc etc, all influence the way we are treated in society, your study seems rather marxist, a view that i agree with (in some instances). The fact is things arent fair, but its human nature, and is also a part of society in general. The fact is, society rewards certain "ways" of life, where as other ways of life are penalised and put down, sometimes unfairly, but eh, what can u do?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is a reason why I hate todays world....Im with saiyanpride I hate women retardeness sometimes they can be so ****ing retarded you just want to ****ing slap them because of there foolishness and ignorance....

Best answers
Well if it is true then I should be scooping **** for food and a shared hovel.

What that research doesn't tell you is what these pretty guys and not so pretty guys are like. I mean, maybe all those that are earning more money are more highly qualified and the ugly guys are all lazy sloths. This is the kind of reason that I always take statisics and surveys with pinch of salt.
The moral of this story is; don't blame god, blame yourself :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also agree with Pride, as usual. Nothing pisses me off more than overhearing a group of good looking girls talk behind other peoples backs and comment on how much better they are then them. Makes me want to just throw something at them.

It's sad to see good potential wasted becuase someone isn't as presentable as others. I know a lot of friends who are brilliant, but they have low-end jobs becuase of their looks. I have been having a lot of trouble finding a job as well, which I think is becuase of my haircut. Haven't had one in a while, and my hair naturally becomes an affro so I have to get it cut. I can garauntee that once I get it cut, I'll get a job in a week. I like to think of myself as a decent looking person, but there will always be those people that consider them better than others becuase of looks, which isn't that amazing anyways, anyone can work out and keep in shape. I don't see it as a big accomplishment, or something to have a lot of pride in as most people do.

Best answers
I cant help but to think that all that stuff u just posted explains the type of person you are kagome i bet your one of those preps arent you o_O

And the text under you sigs says alot about you as well O_O

Best answers
Anime Legend said:
I cant help but to think that all that stuff u just posted explains the type of person you are kagome i bet your one of those preps arent you o_O

And the text under you sigs says alot about you as well O_O

^_^" thats none of your business ok so please just dont worry about the type of person i am just worry about yourself or watever.

Best answers
*coughs* Ho!! *Coughs* :D

Anyway back on topic Well thats life..as they say lifes a b**** and then you die

Best answers
Babyboy said:
*coughs* Ho!! *Coughs* :D

Anyway back on topic Well thats life..as they say lifes a b**** and then you die
**** the world lets all get high!

Errr...and as this research may not be as obvious as racial discrimination, it's still widely known. I mean...if a hot chick asked me for something i'd probably go more out of my way to get it for her then when an ugly girl asked...and yea lifes not fair, just live it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom