dissidia FF - review

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i know theres 2 or three people on this forum who are looking forward to this game and every review i've seen thus far is ridiculously conflicted. luckily, through some connections of my own, i received an advance copy a few days ago.

its gonna be a long review, since im bored atm.

The Review:
first off, there is one honorable mention i want to start the review off with. the soundtrack is IN-****ING-CREDIBLE. its not only full of metal, techno, and rock style remakes of the original battle themes, town themes, and world map songs, but the first (maybe second) song your treated too is this fast paced, battle song made specifically for dissidia that instantly sets your blood ablaze and makes you want to dive right into the game.

as if that wasnt enough, right before you start the story mode your treated to an 8 minute video of a FF hero and villain battle royale. i had to watch it three times because i passed out the instant squall and sephiroth crossed blades.

but final fantasy fandom aside, dissidia is an enormous game that certainly wont dissapoint fans and casual gamers alike but you'll notice problems. as you probably would expect there are some camera problems on certain maps, but its to be expected and doesn't even happen very often. other than that theres not really many problems with the aesthetics of the game.

gameplay wise, the game is very simple. you get 2 types of attacks: bravery and HP. bravery attacks take away from your opponents bravery pool (which has a max of, go figure, 9999) when you hit them passed 0 you inflict break on them, gain from hundreds to thousands of extra brave points and force your opponent into a recovery state. now, the brave points directly influence your HP attacks (which drain health). if you have 1000 bravery points you'll do 1000 hp damage when you do an HP attack.

for each of the 2 attacks you get six abilities (6 brave attacks and 6 HP attacks, usually.), for most characters.

on to the characters themselves. from what i understand the US version drastically rebalanced the characters from the japanese version. and balanced it is. each character has high strengths in certain play-styles and weaknesses in others.

the really high points of the characters themselves is the EX mode. its the Dissidia equivalent of a timed super saiyan form. you fill up the ex gauge with white balls that form in the air as you attack your opponent, or when the balls converge into one point and make a ball with wings on it. some characters change into different forms. Terra changes into her esper form, zidane goes into his trance form, sephiroth - one winged angel. some characters just equip their ultimate weapon such as cloud's ultima weapon or tidus's caladbolg.

from the exmode you can do exbursts which are extravagant versions of limit breaks, such as clouds omnislash or squalls renzokuken.

there is also a mode called "Command battle". its basically playing the game with a menu, for those not into action/fighting games. i almost cried at the nostalgic feeling battling like this brought. I was honestly wishing that all rpgs would play like this. it takes actually strategy along with skill and time to play. the commands to get, at first, are 1. attack 2. hp attack 3. defend 4. ex-core -> ex-mode. but you can unlock even more abilities to use.

all in all i would give the game a 8/10 and add thats its not an option to have a psp and not have this game. it's also good to finally have at least 1 game the psp can boast about. seriously, the graphics are ridiculous, im surprised its only 40 bucks.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What about getting a PSP specifically *for* this game?

Because I'm a huge FF nerd and the thought crossed my mind.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I absolutely love the game, have clocked in 17 hours in just 3 days. My Cloud is level 85. And I just can't stop playing the game. The soundtrack is fabulous (I especially love the character select music, it sounds so damn epic.)

@Origin: To get a psp specific for this game...I don't know. Although the game is really fun and gives you some nostalgic moments, it isn't a true FF experience. There is no real storyline (well there is, but it sucks completely) and to just play this one game on the PSP would get boring after a while (still, you could easily clock 100 hours on this game though if you max everyone) However...if you really, really like FF's, you definitly don't want to miss out on FFVII: Crisis Core (AWESOME storyline) and the remakes of FFI and FFII. And there are various other good games for the PSP of course.

There is one thing that does annoy me in this game though; the voice acting. Al though the voice acting is bad per se. I just don't get the pauses in the sentences. I mean, every character really speaks like "What do we [3 second pause], have to do?" "Why [3 second pause] am I fighting?" "Is this really [3 second pause] all there is to it?"

It get's annoying as hell.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, i noticed that too. they most likely do that to fill in the gaps in translation from the japanese version. I didnt think most of the voice acting was bad at all, though. cept for a few select characters such as zidane (zidon, since when the **** is it pronounced zidon!? ****in' translations), or firion.

if your a FF nerd you'll want the game solely for the chance at your dream battles and the insanely cool videos/music on the game. true, there isnt much of a story but if you want a good story, crisis core is your best bet.

in any case, no 1 game on this planet (unless they remake FF7 for ps3, then im gonna go contact a loan shark and buy it) is really worth buying an entire system, and yes, psp counts as a gaming system, not a handheld. but if your gonna get one, dissidia is a must get, right behind Crisis Core and just ahead of Force Unleashed.

Last edited:
The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I haven't picked up the English version yet but I remember playing the Japanese version. The gameplay was pretty difficult to get used to at first, I had no clue what I was doing. Once I finally understood and got good, the game was very fun. I'm probably going to get the English version this weekend, can't wait to play the story mode.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah when i first started playing it i couldnt figure out how to do the brave combo-hp attacks. but it ultimately becomes pretty simple.

so far my favorite character in the game is jecht closely followed by sephiroth. both of them are just bad-ass. sephiroth especially. he hits you 20 times in a single slash. his combo's make him incredible up close, but his black materia makes him deadly from far away. although i kinda was hoping to watch the entire milky way blow up in his Ex-burst, and not just a star.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
This game looks wicked fun. I think I'm going to look into trading my 8gb ipod for a psp just for this game.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah when i first started playing it i couldnt figure out how to do the brave combo-hp attacks. but it ultimately becomes pretty simple.

so far my favorite character in the game is jecht closely followed by sephiroth. both of them are just bad-ass. sephiroth especially. he hits you 20 times in a single slash. his combo's make him incredible up close, but his black materia makes him deadly from far away. although i kinda was hoping to watch the entire milky way blow up in his Ex-burst, and not just a star.
I have to say, even though I mostly play Cloud at the moment for awesomeness, Squall is very good as well. He has very good Bravery attacks that steal quite a bit of Bravery, quick executing HP Attacks, and Rough Divide is a great long-range attack and also usable as a dodge attack, or for moving around quickly. That and...even though I am not sure, I think Cloud has one of the best EXBurst attacks in the game, it can steal massive amounts of Bravery just before dealing the final blow and is quite easy to start (Squalls as well, both just require tapping of the same button.) Unlike some other EXBursts.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll prolly pick it up eventually when the new PSP comes out since there's now a large backlog of games I actually wanna play.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One piece of advice: Do not buy the PSP Go. You will probably not enjoy playing on it for longer times, due to the smaller size, it handles far worse. And the buttons have been changed giving them a clicky feel that just feels awkward. All reviews I've read so far are negative about the PSPGo, you're probably better of with a PSP-3000. Unless you might want to use Homebrew, you probably even better of with a 2000 or 1000.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One piece of advice: Do not buy the PSP Go. You will probably not enjoy playing on it for longer times, due to the smaller size, it handles far worse. And the buttons have been changed giving them a clicky feel that just feels awkward. All reviews I've read so far are negative about the PSPGo, you're probably better of with a PSP-3000. Unless you might want to use Homebrew, you probably even better of with a 2000 or 1000.
I'm taling the one that hasn't even come out yet.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll prolly pick it up eventually when the new PSP comes out since there's now a large backlog of games I actually wanna play.
Yeah that's the PSPgo. It looks sexy, but I never knew about the unfavorable reviews though.

I *highly* recommend getting a PSP-1000, or at least a 2000. Homebrew was the main reason I got a PSP. Play all your Genesis, SNES (some slow), NES, GBA, GB, and PSX games on the go with homebrew. I can get completely revamped menu themes, take snapshots in any game with a press of a button, record footage on to my computer, play PSX games I own by converting them in to an eboot (or downloading the eboot versions...Assuming you have already bought the PSX game~).

I never played FFVII, but now I do on the PSP. I can play all the pokemon games on a single non Nintendo system with save states. There are things you can do, but since they skirt the gray area of legality, I'll keep my mouth shut :D There are also movies, pictures, internet, and music to keep you occupied if you get bored of.

Oh yes, Dissidia.

Now, I am not a GIGANTIC FF fan. I have never beaten one (almost beat X-2 until my memory was wiped), but played 7, X-2, 9, and 12. But this game is addicting. Advent Children-styled battles are awesome and you actually require some strategy. I have spent hours doing story mode and move on to the next character after I clear their respective section. I haven't even begun purposely leveling them to get the more advanced abilities, summons, and accessories. You can even get costumes!

The amount of fan service to the series is awesome. The iconic attacks and special moves from the games are badass. I forget what attack it was, but I was fighting this doppelganger (oh yeah, bland enemies. Just "clones" of the heroes/villains in a cystallized form :/). And all of the sudden small rocks start falling from the sky. I'm like "ha, what a wimpy move", so I begin charging at the enemy. Then a couple of seconds later, a HUMUNGOUS meteor is slowly descending downwards, and I'm all like "****-****-****-****-****" and I die. So you can be sure than the spells and what have you are not dumbed down. I'll post a more vivid scenario later.

I say a PSP is worth it even if you don't get this game. There are a good amount of PSP games out there that will keep you busy, even if they are remakes/ports/similar to their console counterparts. Power Stone Collection, Ace Combat, Gundam v.s Gundam (YES), God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Burn Out, Crisis Core, Shin Budokai, Naruto Ultimate Hero, Disgaea...The list goes on. Oh and let's not forget the emulators and PSX games.

~$100 for a used PSP-1000 ('Fat'/'Phat') at game stop.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yep. the entire reason i got a psp was so i could bring every playstation, snes, gba, or gbc game i ever had around wherever i go. of course, crisis core was amazing, graphically and playability.

i prefer the psp over even the xbox 360 or the ps2.

@Chakra
yeah, the first time i used sephiroth's meteor i was just like "**** YEAH!!" (not exaggerating at all). as i said, though, i was disappointed in not seeing sephiroth blow up the milky way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom