DisplayPort vs. HDMI

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh great, another proprietary format war :rolleyes:

I read a few articles on the new, much-touted DisplayPort (to replace DVI). Just when I thought HDMI was the one magical connector for HD content, this gets thrown in to the mix.

I haven't even moved on from VGA cables or CRT monitors, and now that i've found a nice LCD for my Summer '07 rig (with HDMI) i'm starting to wonder if it would be better to hold off until LCD's with DisplayPort are being manufactured, as ATI have said they're planning on incorportating DisplayPort (instead of DVI/Dual DVI/HDMI) at the end of this year.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I'm happy with my VGA cable's.
Still, If I bought a graphics card, And it had displayport or whatnot, I'm sure there could be an adapter for it, to convert it to VGA.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I usually try to avoid adaptors wherever possible, especially when going from something low-end (VGA) to high-end (HDMI, bypassing DVI entirely).

I found this veeeeery interesting...

Engadget said:

Remember that super swanky Dell monitor concept we went ga ga over back at January's CES? Yeah, we still find it hard to believe it's a Dell design. Well, it'll apparently be up for sale later in the year. What's more, it features the new VESA approved DisplayPort 1.1 interface which allows Dell to keep the panel depth to a crazy thin 0.5-inches. Although DisplayPort is said to support a resolution 4x that of today's HDTV resolutions, the panel on this pup was only pumping an estimated 1920 x 1200 when we saw it. No specs or price but we expect good things given Dell's past performance in delivering top-notch displays on the cheap.
Source

Now bowl me down if that isn't the most drop-dead gorgeous monitor ever created, and with support for HD and UHD none-the-less. That would be a reason to wait for DisplayPort methinks. Or at least until one side emerges victorious (much like HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray at the moment).

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I actually saw that monitor on Dailytech.
Still, I don't need anything bigger than a 17" or a 19" monitor.
To me the only advantage HDMI or Displayport brings to me is less cable clutter. (But thats why I got a laptop in the first place).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom