Disney buys marvel

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The worldwide leader in family entertainment is about to get a great deal more entertaining, as the Walt Disney Company agrees to acquire iconic comic book company Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion.

More than 5,000 iconic comic book characters will soon be in the hands of Disney, raising serious questions about the future of Marvel video game titles from Activision, Sega, THQ, and the upcoming MMO from Gazillion Entertainment. Under the terms of the agreement, Disney will pay Marvel shareholders $30 per share for their Marvel stock, plus .745 of a share of Disney stock for each share they own.

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."

That's Disney's say on the matter, and here is Marvel's, from the official press release:

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's Chief Executive Officer. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

Both companies have approved the deal, though it still has to clear the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act and various regulatory committees before it can be finalized. Once finalized, Marvel's Perlmutter will continue to oversee Marvel's properties, working with Disney to help integrate the two properties across multiple lines of business.

We're staying on top of the situation, with calls out to Disney, Marvel, Activision, THQ, and Sega for comment on what effects this move will have on Marvel-based video game properties.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5349341/disney-buys-marvel-for-4-billion

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saw this on AotS. Good for Disney, perhaps bad for fans. I hope nothing bad comes out of this deal. :(

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I am so gonna see a kids TV series with Mickey Mouse and Wolverine being made now

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NANI !?!?!?!!!!111one

MAZAKA !!!!!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People think they are going to have Donal Duck and Spider-Man singing songs together. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but perhaps their movies/games will have higher production values?

As long as Disney does not mess up movies and games when it comes to rights acquisition, or try to implant its interests in to Marvel comics, it should be good. Remember Disney owns things like 'ABC' and other non-kid-targeted assets, so Marvel should not change to likes of certain worries.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People think they are going to have Donal Duck and Spider-Man singing songs together. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but perhaps their movies/games will have higher production values?

As long as Disney does not mess up movies and games when it comes to rights acquisition, or try to implant its interests in to Marvel comics, it should be good. Remember Disney owns things like 'ABC' and other non-kid-targeted assets, so Marvel should not change to likes of certain worries.
Exactly! :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I don't think this is comparable to ABC. Disney has never made an acquisition like this before. There's no way to predict what direction Disney will take Marvel in. We just have to wait and see.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahahahahah :))
Man, that was great. ^_^

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does that make...

Bugs Bunny = Cyclops
Elmer Fudd = Xavier

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Disney doesn't own those characters though. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wouldn't it be:
Bugs Bunny = Xavier
Elmer Fudd = Magneto

...?
Both of you should be ashamed for confusing Warner Bros. and Disney together D:<

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's no biggie imo. Marvel will still be Marvel. You can't mix Donald Duck and Wolverine because they're both part of different worlds.

Bugs Bunny and Aladdin, maybe.

I don't think Disney has the balls and/or the lack of sufficient stupidity to do some sort of crossover, which would undoubtedly spell doom for market sales.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it? 'Cause I seem to remember a quite succesful game called Kingdom Hearts, which combines Disney with Square Enix, and they did a damn good job at it.

Edit: That, and Bugs Bunny is from Warner Bros.

Edit2: Hmmm...how would that play; Kingdom Hearts with Disney, Final Fantasy and Marvel characters?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Both of you should be ashamed for confusing Warner Bros. and Disney together D:<
omg Chakra is right, I knew something was wrong, but couldn't put my finger on it. I'd make an Aladdin action show.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Edit2: Hmmm...how would that play; Kingdom Hearts with Disney, Final Fantasy and Marvel characters?
There's no comparison. Square Enix produces anime magic characters. Throw Disney in the same loop and you have a pretty feasible outcome if managed right.

Marvel is centered around a completely different, post-modernist world. To mix them up would be to "downgrade" Marvel characters to a pre-adolescent audience of which they've fought hard to escape from.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The worst that could happen is they tone characters down a bit and make the comics more PG. I highly doubt that would happen though, else they'd run Marvel into the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom