Discussion: Scripting/Exploiting

Best answers
You're talking about the impossible Davidskiwan. People have been using scripts back in the old days. People not scripting... that would be a first! And even if people use scripts, it won't automatically make them better then other players that don't script.

There are still pretty old people playing Quake 2 WITH scripts. I can hardly picture them being 12 yr olds, cuz 12 yr olds only want grafix and bad gameplay so they have something to moan about.

As far me, I got sick and tired of the playingstyle of people and I wasn't in the mood to ***** about that. Picking a script for that is the solution. Or I could stop playing ESF, but what am I supposed to play then? Every damn game nowadays has cheaters and scripters and whatnot.

Keep dreaming Davidskiwan...

Best answers
Any one who knows me, knows I have a swoop script. It wasn't until the blocklame and whatever until I actually found the use of it.

At first, I made it so I could mimic 1.1 swooping, instead of double tapping. Ya, it makes me faster, no doubt about that but with the choppy controls, crappy netcode and tons of exploits, I don't really care if I have an advantage or not. Lots of people I have fought used anything to get a win, such as exploits and cheapo tricks so I guess that means we're even. I've considered quitting more than once, but I won't actually do it till those exploits and buggs are out of the game.

The script also speeds the game up for me, which is nice since it's already rediculously slow. On top of that, it allows me to fight those 'runners' without having to slow down, I just use what I used in 1.1, speed.

Although I don't need it, I realise this little mini script is actually a great way of returning the fun and balance on certain aspects.

Some people tend to overreact tho, they think becos of this script I become 999% better, which is cowcrap. It gives me an edge, but it doesn't help me aim or teleport and manage my ki. Some tend to compare to something like an aimbot, which just isn't right. I still have to click on my buttons and move my mouse. The only 'extra' I have, is swooping forward (only forward) with one press of a button instead of two.

I believe that scripting doesn't always have to be wrong, as long as you don't use it for an absolute advantage. I think that by playing the way I do, I don't create such a disadvantage for my opponent. If I were to rely on scripts AND use bugs and exploits, then I don't deserve to play this game anymore. Since I don't (I play basic melee 95% of the time) I feel I am not destroying someone else's game by using a script (even tho it's more of a bind lol)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sephize said:
You're talking about the impossible Davidskiwan. People have been using scripts back in the old days. People not scripting... that would be a first! And even if people use scripts, it won't automatically make them better then other players that don't script.

There are still pretty old people playing Quake 2 WITH scripts. I can hardly picture them being 12 yr olds, cuz 12 yr olds only want grafix and bad gameplay so they have something to moan about.

As far me, I got sick and tired of the playingstyle of people and I wasn't in the mood to ***** about that. Picking a script for that is the solution. Or I could stop playing ESF, but what am I supposed to play then? Every damn game nowadays has cheaters and scripters and whatnot.

Keep dreaming Davidskiwan...

Its that kind of mentality that means it does happen. Im not gonna argue about this. If you must win that much that you code something that gives you the upper hand, thats says it all. Yeah people use exploits, and ****, but if you're just gonna sink to their level because you cant handle them being a cheap bastard then hows that helping anybody? Its the satisfaction that they get from people trying their hardest is what they enjoy.

Swoop script i can understand because its a complete ***** the amount of times that ive double tapped and it doesnt respond, i mean ive been able to tap it 6 times and nothin happens -_-

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People are forgetting that scripts help make this game worse, a lot worse. We have a teleport delay now, all thanks to scripts. Fact is, scripts are unfair, we wouldn't have the delay if they weren't. Honestly, you may think you're doing it to make something more convenient, but you guys who use scripts have an unfair advantage and you have affected everyone who plays ESF, you're one of the reasons ESF is a lot worse in 1.2. Thanks a lot guys :rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whether a script gives you a 1% advantage or a 99% advantage, you still have an advantage over regular players, and you use that advantage to win. At least with exploits it's something everyone can do, whereas scripts just make it unfair.

Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Its that kind of mentality that means it does happen. Im not gonna argue about this. If you must win that much that you code something that gives you the upper hand, thats says it all. Yeah people use exploits, and ****, but if you're just gonna sink to their level because you cant handle them being a cheap bastard then hows that helping anybody? Its the satisfaction that they get from people trying their hardest is what they enjoy.

Swoop script i can understand because its a complete ***** the amount of times that ive double tapped and it doesnt respond, i mean ive been able to tap it 6 times and nothin happens -_-
Having those jerks laugh at me when they killed me with a lame trick is just so pathetic...

And don't say u can understand swoop script, because u can't. U said so urself.

Sub said:
People are forgetting that scripts help make this game worse, a lot worse. We have a teleport delay now, all thanks to scripts. Fact is, scripts are unfair, we wouldn't have the delay if they weren't. Honestly, you may think you're doing it to make something more convenient, but you guys who use scripts have an unfair advantage and you have affected everyone who plays ESF, you're one of the reasons ESF is a lot worse in 1.2. Thanks a lot guys
It's not like you cant blocklame without a forward swoop script. And I'm responsible for making ESF a lot worse? The team choose not to do anything about the blocklame. I'm just making the best of it. Making the game more enjoyable for me. Script or no script, that's a choice. U made urs, I made mine and yet u still ***** every time u see some1 using a script, why is that?

Ravendust said:
Whether a script gives you a 1% advantage or a 99% advantage, you still have an advantage over regular players, and you use that advantage to win. At least with exploits it's something everyone can do, whereas scripts just make it unfair.
Noone said u couldn't make ur own script Ravendust, so su.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sephize, you are borderline flaming. Keep it civil, I'd like for you to have a chance to shape up before you get a warning.

*EDIT*
Well, I tried to give you a hint Seph, but you didn't seem to heed my word and edit your flame out. So you got a warning from Ravendust, and he is 100% within his rights.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I said i could understand a reason for making the script, i didnt say it was fair to use. If everbody had it, i'd be happy.

If you cant handle people beating you with cheap tactics but you feel the need to reduce yourself to their level by actually programming something to give you an advantage. Doesnt that make you like just like the jerks you hate?

Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
I said i could understand a reason for making the script, i didnt say it was fair to use. If everbody had it, i'd be happy.

If you cant handle people beating you with cheap tactics but you feel the need to reduce yourself to their level by actually programming something to give you an advantage. Doesnt that make you like just like the jerks you hate?
What's wrong with programming? I like programming. I'd even post my script, but I guess that would get me another warning

*You weren't warned. You were close to it tho
-Deverz

This time ;) there was another time when I did get a warning :)

Best answers
The swoop script does give you a big advantage actually. If 2 people of equal skill are fighting 1 has a swoop script and 1 doesn't.....the person with the script has a significant advantage over the one that doesn't. They are able to swoop faster and be more responsive. With dble tap swooping there are times that I hit the dble tap and don't go anywhere. This happens infrequently, but it still takes me more time to hit the dble tap than hit 1 button. Also another advantage is chain swooping...you can chain swoop right and immediately swoop straight much faster than the person w/out a script.

Carnage does have a good point though. The swoop script speeds the game up to what it used to be, but I personally can not condone it due to giving you an unfair advantage.

Best answers
It's no news double tap is one of the things responsible for slowing the game down, a simple click on your mouse or two touches on your keyboard, not to mention you use the keyboard for other stuff as well, making it quite a pain in the butt.

On top of that, controls are jammy and unresponsive, especially when you have a moderate ping. I think they should return the swoop to the mouse, since that's easiest to deal with (the only problem in 1.1 was locking on, not swooping).

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sephize said:
What's wrong with programming? I like programming. I'd even post my script, but I guess that would get me another warning
I never said that anything was wrong with programming, if you enjoy it thats cool, but programming something so you have an advantage over other players in a multiplayer game just isnt right in my book. Imo it makes you just as bad as the people who use exploits all the time.

Best answers
Yes but remember if controls are jammy and slow for you then they are jammy and slow for your opponent as well. In my scenario the 2 are of equal skill but the one using a script has better response time on his controls....that is a VERY big advantage.

I just thought of something. In 1.3 what if the team but swoop back to the left mouse click?? To chain swoop you would just hold the corresponding key and hit left click again. This would take care of the responsiveness of 1.2.

To initiate Advance melee you would just run into someone and it would by default go into the pre-punches....its like that now if you just swoop and hit someone w/out holding and mouse keys. So why not make it happen. As for teleport delay I would say scrap it and see what it does you could always put it back in.

Best answers
Jinks said:
Yes but remember if controls are jammy and slow for you then they are jammy and slow for your opponent as well. In my scenario the 2 are of equal skill but the one using a script has better response time on his controls....that is a VERY big advantage.
Not true. 1 person can have more jams then another and there shouldn't be any reason for it.

Davidskiwan said:
I never said that anything was wrong with programming, if you enjoy it thats cool, but programming something so you have an advantage over other players in a multiplayer game just isnt right in my book. Imo it makes you just as bad as the people who use exploits all the time.
Imo it makes me a better person then the ones whining about losing to a scripter/lamer all the time.

Best answers
My point is this:

You take all variables out of the equation:
1. skill
2. player class
3. hardware
4. anything I missed e.g. interenet connection

The ONLY variable you have is that 1 is using script the other is not. They will then both have the same lag and the same keyboard. The response times w/out a script are slower....thats a big advantage.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
did i ever whine? infact ive never fought a scripter, all i know is they have an advantage at the game because they possess a file in their scripts folder that i dont, imo that means they're cheating, thats not whining, its telling you what it is. One person having an advantage over another shouldnt be credited any more than the roll exploit. This is like saying "I cheat but i deserve to win" kinda thing, which i dont think your understanding. I dont have a problem with losing, i lose all the damn time just ask ape gohan or anyone good ive fought recently, however i think people who have to write a code because they loose, have a problem with losing.

Best answers
Jinks said:
My point is this:

You take all variables out of the equation:
1. skill
2. player class
3. hardware
4. anything I missed e.g. interenet connection

The ONLY variable you have is that 1 is using script the other is not. They will then both have the same lag and the same keyboard. The response times w/out a script are slower....thats a big advantage.
Theres also playingstyle, which u cannot take out. The way I see it, if both had the same skill, they would either both be using scripts or none at all. If 1 was using scripts and the other wasn't, then that means that they weren't of the same skill seeing as 1 honed his "skills" with a script and the other with the original controls.

Suppose Sarutobi isn't scripting, I don't know if he is, I think so, but I'm not sure and I'm not going into that discussion, he proved that it is possible to beat every player, with or without scripts by using a style which I personally hate.

I can beat Omni, but I cant beat Sarutobi, yet I'm pretty equal to Omni with my scripts, why is it that I cant beat Sarutobi? Simply because it also takes aim and laming nowadays.

There is always a difference in performance when it comes to someone using a script and one who isn't using a script. Basicly, a scripter might be able to swoop faster, but lacks the ability to predict where the other player will have a jam or 2 THAT IS if he used the script when he started playing ESF the first day. I for 1 feed off of the mistakes of the other player, just like I still have jams WITH the script, however since I played without scripts for a long time, I generally know when a player will have a jam and he won't know when I get them. It's not that I have more skill, I just have more knowledge of the game then the other.

Davidskiwan said:
did i ever whine? infact ive never fought a scripter, all i know is they have an advantage at the game because they possess a file in their scripts folder that i dont, imo that means they're cheating, thats not whining, its telling you what it is. One person having an advantage over another shouldnt be credited any more than the roll exploit. This is like saying "I cheat but i deserve to win" kinda thing, which i dont think your understanding. I dont have a problem with losing, i lose all the damn time just ask ape gohan or anyone good ive fought recently, however i think people who have to write a code because they loose, have a problem with losing.
Are u saying ur not whining about the scripts now? If u don't want the other to have an advantage: make a script, otherwise I see no reason to ur whining about it. And tbh it's getting boring. 1 person will have the advantage of a more steady aim, the other will have the advantage that he/she knows a lot more about coding then the other and has extensive knowledge on how to use a searchengine and find FAQs and guides to scripting. Why is it so hard to code? basicly all the key mapping u did in options is the same damn thing, except it has a nice little grafical interface to it. Are u saying that u never changed ur controls?

Imo a script is NOT a cheat. In fact u cant even compare them to cheats. Also a script is not placed in some scripts folder...

If u want to play against a scripter, I'm sure Carnage will be happy to duel u sometimes, otherwise I will. That is if Vossey ever comes back.

In my case, it's not WHEN I lose, its HOW I lose, but I gave up screaming and yelling at people that use a lame style and saying that they're lame or script or cheat, because they weren't going to stop anyway. Instead I will use my knowledge of coding/configing/tweaking to get that grin off their faces.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This thread is about scripts, my opinion/view about them is that they are an advantage for the user. Players who do not have the script do not have this advantage, and therefore at a disadvantage against a player who has (some logic there for you). To me i dont see in anyway that you can find that justifiable. Im not moaning, im not whining, im telling you, i think that using scripts is just as bad as using exploits, and i dont see why it should be condoned. That is my opinion. If you're using it, just to fight people who exploit the game, then fine fight fire with fire. I just think using them in public servers or in tournaments, is not fair play.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sephize said:
Noone said u couldn't make ur own script Ravendust, so su.
Abbrieviated or not, that still counts as flaming a moderator, so enjoy a warning :warning: and have yourself a great day.

Best answers
Ravendust said:
Abbrieviated or not, that still counts as flaming a moderator, so enjoy a warning :warning: and have yourself a great day.
I would take this up in PM, but since u brought this up in this thread I'll do it here: I want u to get a warning for provoking flames. Imo u were very well aware that u could expect a flame on that. U as a moderator should know what lines could cause a flame. This time I choose to do a flame, but that doesn't exclude u from provoking it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom