Direct IP Blocking

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey. Does anyone know how to close a direct IP connection that's open, using Windows, or a simple program? Simply deny an IP access, close the port, etc?

Thanks.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not trying to block an incoming connection, I'm trying to find something to give me the ability to close an already existing connection.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zonealarm works both ways, especially if a program is trying to transmit. If you already have it installed you can kill that application's access. If you don't have it installed you can install it and stop the program when it asks for internet rights. If you have a router, the process might even be easier dependant on it's features. You could also mess with your own host file to re route that outbound IP.

I'll look into multiple ways to do this and post my findings along with directions later on tonight, I won't have time before work.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys don't seem to be understanding what I'm asking. I don't want to block an entire application's access, merely a specific IP trying to access my computer through a program.

Imagine an online game--I'm hosting a server, right? And a player is playing. I have their specific IP, and I don't want to use the kick/ban commands (or they don't exist). I just want to prevent their IP from accessing my computer. There must be a way..

Edit: When you play a game like ESF, or WC3, etc, and host a server--your 'NETSTAT' reports fill up with "ESTABLISHED" connections--there must be a way to manually terminate one of these.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you talking about a backdoor Trojan, or something else? I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago. Norton constantly blocked the IP from attempting to access my PC, yet whoever was behind it wouldn't give up--I get the "A recent attempt to attack your hard drive was blocked" from Norton everytime I boot up my PC. Someone obviously has your IP address, and something I've learned is if you're using two PC's and frequently transferring files through the two via 'file sharing' enabled, hungry hackers will find out, maybe through some sort of list of 'local accessible IP's'. If you have Norton it'll block any incoming attempts so I wouldn't worry about blocking the IP. But, it seems to me posters here don't know what you're talking about. Are the attacks occurring through a direct connection to another person or some other way? Just run Norton, disable File Sharing if it isn't already, and make sure your Firewall is on. I don't know what else to say...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, it's not about blocking people from accessing at all, it's about the ability to drop a particular IP's connection with you. Close the 'active connection.' That's what I want to find out, anyway.

Best answers
So being able to universally "kick" a certain IP from a hosted game eh.
Well both ZoneAlarm and PeerGuardian are two programs i know you can block specified IP's with.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I'm not looking for it just for gaming purposes. You can block a specific IP address with ZoneAlarm?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doesn't sound like this person's very trustworthy to want to block them from accessing 'certain' connections to you. I honestly don't know what kind of connections you're referring to in particular, but if it's to do with games, just ban their IP or Steam ID if they're not incredible hackers who use multiple IDs or whatever. What are you talking about? I'm curious. I'd hate to nose around but you are asking for help.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, it's for numerous reasons--blocking rather persistant people from repeatedly trying to download [legitimate files! o:) ] on DC++, removing particularly annoying people in WC3 when I'm hosting (assuming I know which IP is theirs), etc. There are many applications.. I'm surprised that it isn't a more common concern.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but you could use Peer Guardian 2 to block specific IPs, perhaps even ranges. You can add custom IP blocks to stop people from grabbing stuff of your comp, or even getting on your system. Just be careful which IP blocklists you include, you may want to exclude them all so Peer Guardian only does what you want it too.

And your welcome ;)

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gah, I'm tryin for ya. I had a program called TDS that had the option to close already open connections, but I don't think you could block specific IPs or ports ahead of time. IT was also an amalgamation of tools used to hunt down trojans on your computer, so it wouldn't be worth it with all the excess tools you may not use.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but you could use Peer Guardian 2 to block specific IPs, perhaps even ranges. You can add custom IP blocks to stop people from grabbing stuff of your comp, or even getting on your system. Just be careful which IP blocklists you include, you may want to exclude them all so Peer Guardian only does what you want it too.

And your welcome ;)
Thanks. I have PG2, but I'm not sure how to make my own list of IPs. Looking at the pre-made sets that it gets off the net isn't particularly informative.. Hm..

Deman said:
Gah, I'm tryin for ya. I had a program called TDS that had the option to close already open connections, but I don't think you could block specific IPs or ports ahead of time. IT was also an amalgamation of tools used to hunt down trojans on your computer, so it wouldn't be worth it with all the excess tools you may not use.
That's what I'm looking for--the ability to close already open connections. Not block them ahead of time. How do you do that? Is TDS "Trojan Defense Suite"? I found that on google.

Best answers
PG2. List Manager > Add (type block) > Open List > Input IP.
I use it all the time to block off my brothers connection when he's downloading and i'm playing a game over the net :p

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can go List Manager > Add (type block) > Open List, but there's no "Input IP." There's a "Search" bar, and 'Find Next,' and Close.

Best answers
Sorry. i'll explain it again better. This time with pictures :rolleyes:

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah. Thanks a lot. I'll try it out, and see if it works for already-established connections.

Edit: It works in blocking those connections, but if the connection is already established, it won't terminate it. Looks like I'll have to try that other thing. :/

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, Trojan Defense Suite is what it is. I couldn't tell you how to do it since I haven't had that program on my HD in forever, but it was around or named netstat tools if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom