Digital Distribution vs. Retail

Digital Distribution vs. Retail

• Total voters

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whether it's music, films, video games, books, applications, etc, which source do you prefer to (legally) obtain your media from?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For cheapness i buy from amazon for Newer Items I prefer To go to a major Retailor

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Retail. I personally like to have a box to add to my games collection. Plus, I hate it when games become download only, because of the massive pricetags they can get then. The Playstation Network currently sells Dragons Age: Awakening for 40 euro's. While the PC version can be had on amazon.co.uk for an equivalent of...20 euro's or something. For an expansion pack, 40 euro's is a lot. Ridiculous. But because the PS3 has PSN, it will never get a retail copy of DA: Awakening, it will stay download-only. With a massive price tag.

That and with the rise of online game stores like Playstation Network, more and more company's are starting to release regular add-ons for 6 to 10 euro's a piece (even as much as 20 euro for a couple of Fallout 3 addons. Hell, it's cheaper to just sell my current Fallout 3 copy, and buy a GOTY edition with all addons already included) . I wonder if these are parts that were cut out of the game, only to be sold later as an addon for more money. In the old days, we didn't have nearly as many addons for games as we have now. Yet I have never had the feeling I missed something in a game.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, considering that online stores have destroyed strip malls, and online stores are likely going to be destroyed by giant corporations using digital distribution... I guess the trickle effect is worth it. If you outweigh ultimate convenience over a sinkhole in the world economy. To be specific, the United States was clearly based on free-market middle-men who are now becoming extinct, because they can't compete with a 45 minute download vs 3-day shipping. The cost-difference doesn't seem to matter to people, either.

I myself use X-Box Live, and the benefit is I get a demo or trial for just about every game on the market, as well the fact that Netflix and Zune can be installed. So, I can forsee never having to go to a store to buy a game, music LP, or to see a movie. X-Box Live is even going after retro titles, so all my old 3rd-party Nintendo, Sega, and PSX favorites are at my fingertips.

It's going to be sort of like 5th Element soon, where everything is sent to your living quarters, and your basically held hostage by your Internet provider.

Oh, because Lelu was hot... I prefer digital distribution... that's only if women start looking like her.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Music: Digital distribution is probably preferable, but either is fine, as long as it has no DRM. I'll usually buy stuff from Amazon or, if they don't have it, itunes. It all gets thrown on my computer anyway.
Movies: Retail. There are 9 billion devices that can play movies, I don't want to limit myself to just a PC.
PC Games: Digital Distribution all the way, specifically Steam. The sales are incredible, there is no more hassle having to find old game cd's or worry about cd keys, automatic patching, friends list, etc.
Console Games: Retail for portability, plus the fact that I don't trust console makers.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i see it like this. They both have their ups and downs.

Taking STEAM as an example. Its great that you can easily and quickly get what ever they have for sale. The downside is. That if that distribution source goes offline, meaning if Valve would somehow go bankrupt taking STEAM with it. You would be left with nothing. All the money you spent on getting games though STEAM would be thrown away cause you dont have a CD you can install from. Thats preety much why i preffer retailers. Even if they are taken out by a rival you are still left with something you can actually hold in your hand and insert into your DVD rom. But if a rival gets a system like STEAM offline then you get left with nothing but knowing you spent money with not a thing to show for it.

I know this is a what if scenario. But if this sort of system gets common in the world, then capitalism will do its thing and the end line consumers will get dragged down with systems that go out of buisnes, just because they are using that system.

So yea i preffer retailers XD

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I chose both because they each have their ups and downs.

I like collecting game boxes (I think I still have every box from every game I've ever legally purchased.) and it also feels more legit to own a tangible item rather than an account with access to download gigabytes.

On the other hand though, the opposite of Sicron, digital distribution is significantly cheaper in Australia than it is retail. A retail copy of a game from a store will set you back $100-110 for a new release (and prices rarely drop lower than $90 until well after the games initial release). Whereas I could buy a new release game over steam for $50-60 (USD) which after exchange tends to be something like $55-70 (AUSD) which is way less than retail. Not to mention that steam regularly has specials that lower the prices further. Something you'll never see in a retail store.

Really the only benefit I see to DD is that it's so much cheaper. Otherwise all my games would be bought retail. I also tend to always go retail if I want to buy a collector's edition.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For games, it has to be retail. I just love adding another game-case on my shelf and being able to actually watch my collection grow larger.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anything other than video games I would prefer a physical copy.

As for video games, I generally don't feel comfortable with only a digital copy for anything other than games available on Steam (and possibly the upcoming Bnet v2).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe Steam is the greatest thing ever. Digital distribution.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I move a lot, so I prefer digital distribution. There's only so much **** one can fit into a bag.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Assuming there is no limit to how many times the game, song, cd, what-have-you can be downloaded, I prefer digital copies rather than hard copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom