Difference in HL2 with ati or nvidia

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, recently I upgraded my PC to a Dual Core and instead of having a 9800xt(ati), I now have a 7800gt(nvidia), so I tought, lets try out Half Life 2 now

With my old 9800xt I could run Half Life 2 highest settings with ease, average 60 fps, even 6 times antialiasing worked so I had no jagged edges.

But now with my 7800gt I can run Half Life 2 highest settings, average fps 103 but....it plays like 30 fps and anti aliasing doesnt work at all, I do have it set to 6 times but I have jagged edges everywhere. As far as I know, I have the latest drivers so it should work...Does anyone know what to do?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nVidia doesn't utilize 6x AA, well officially. Try 4x. To smooth out gameplay, try vsync. Also, you remembered to uninstall any trace of the ATi drivers, correct? If not, they may be conflicting.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
But now with my 7800gt I can run Half Life 2 highest settings, average fps 103 but....it plays like 30 fps and anti aliasing doesnt work at all, I do have it set to 6 times but I have jagged edges everywhere. As far as I know, I have the latest drivers so it should work...Does anyone know what to do?
Care to explain what that means? Are you trying to say AA drops your framerate? If you are, the odds are that you've got it set past 6x AA (as nvidia cards can go higher) whereas your old ATI maxed out at 6x. There's no good reason why you should be taking a massive hit at the same AA setting unless the driver you're using just happens to use a bad AA sampling method for Half Life 2, but I don't understand how that would be.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just tried out, well..., 4x AA did work looks alot better now(thanks for that!) But Im still having problems with gameplay...vsync didnt do much. And I cant find any ATI drivers anywhere so Im sure they are all uninstalled

Best answers
I dont know if this helps but i heard somewhere that dual core isnt the best to be using for games, dont know if thats screwing anything up, i dont think it is but you never know.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
I dont know if this helps but i heard somewhere that dual core isnt the best to be using for games, dont know if thats screwing anything up, i dont think it is but you never know.
It's not all that much of a performance hit showing from benchmarks iv'e seen, a little slower never the less, but not by a huge margin that's it's going to be giving him these problems. However I do belive that in the latest driver release or a upcoming release that from release notes I views that nvidia promises some enhancements for computers with a dual core cpu.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm ok, I guess I will just wait for the upcoming drivers and see if that fixes anything

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The newest drivers aren't going to really fix your problem. They just offer some dual core implimentation. You can already get that in the beta release, but it's a beta. Which drivers are you using ATM?

Best answers
Yeah, the drivers definately wont fix his problem but i read over his problem and I realized that when you install a new processor and video card like that windows freaks out, i might be wrong and it might just do that with the mobo but im not sure. Also does this happen with other games or just Half-Life 2?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Yeah, the drivers definately wont fix his problem but i read over his problem and I realized that when you install a new processor and video card like that windows freaks out, i might be wrong and it might just do that with the mobo but im not sure. Also does this happen with other games or just Half-Life 2?
You're thinking of Windows thinking it was stolen, and so it would ask for you to reregister it.

Best answers
Yeah, I made a post a long time ago and i replaced my mobo, processor, and graphics card and it didnt work, so everyone was saying that whenever you do that windows freaks out and you have to reinstall it, thats what i was referring too.

edit: I also agree that this is not his problem either, Smith. I was just trying to explain to you what i was talking about in a better way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ahh, all righty. I doubt that's his problem, though ;).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
The newest drivers aren't going to really fix your problem. They just offer some dual core implimentation. You can already get that in the beta release, but it's a beta. Which drivers are you using ATM?
I think I have the 78.01 version now, atleast, thats what the Nvidia folder says

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom