Did Blockbuster just decide the winner of the next-gen DVD race?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blockbuster's decision to support Blu-ray in all of its 1,450 stores is having a bigger impact than it seems. A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders canceled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire life cycle. The kicker? All of them were canceled because of the Blockbuster announcement.
That's pretty crazy if it's true.

Source.

Best answers
Personally I think unless there's some sort of miriacle, it's already been decided.

Virtually every film that's on HD-DVD is on Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray has quite a number of exclusives due to the amount of movie studios Sony owns.

Not to mention the fact that last time I checked Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVD by 2 to 1.

I'm yet to see a HD-DVD in the major department stores here.

Best answers
Sony must be danceing right now....the only point of the PS3 and everything they did over the last 1.5 years was for Blu-Ray....Sony's going to be ranken in the profits soon.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally feel that the next-gen formats won't take off as people believe they will. HDTV's are luxury items, not many people have them. The average American (hell, the average person) can't afford them. I'm sure they'll do fairly well, but that will be very far off in the future.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess it wasn't about the video game console... it was about the disc technology.

Npw that they are possibly monopolizing even more areas... they can focus on the technological platform.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, Kidboy and Dust were quite impressed by the PS3 when they visited, and dust didn't even get to see any bluray nasty =o

I love my growing BluRay collection :D

Blockbuster did the same thing over here, i'm not sure if it's affected sales in the same way though, i know blockbuster shift quite a few PS3's though.

@Sub:
A 1080p HDTV is no more expensive now, than an LCD screen of the same size was, this time 3 years ago, that's FACT. and yes while a tv set is expensive, it's also a long term investment, and a lot of people will buy them because of that. not to mention, over here in england, they are phasing out Analogue tv signals, so people need Tv's with digital tuners... guess what? new tv's!!!!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shoot you don't even ABSOLUTELY need 1080p. If I got a decent size 720p TV, I'd be happy.

But it's good that one is becomming more popular than the other. I hate when they split formats like this. Consoles are one thing, because differeny developers have different styles, but format wars are just tedious to me.

It's about time I can start renting some Blu-Ray movies.

Best answers
not to mention, over here in england, they are phasing out Analogue tv signals, so people need Tv's with digital tuners... guess what? new tv's!!!!
Dont you have digiboxes or anything like that?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good, I'll be happy once all this bull**** blows over.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best answers
I personally feel that the next-gen formats won't take off as people believe they will. HDTV's are luxury items, not many people have them. The average American (hell, the average person) can't afford them. I'm sure they'll do fairly well, but that will be very far off in the future.
Pfft, I got myself a 27" 720p/1080i LCD HDTV for $370 on newegg. Works great for my 360!

I really don't care which one wins. I think I remember microsoft saying they'd make a blu-ray addition for the 360 (like the hd-dvd addon) if blu-ray won out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't care which one wins. I think I remember microsoft saying they'd make a blu-ray addition for the 360 (like the hd-dvd addon) if blu-ray won out.
Wow, that'd be pretty cool. Rather than "Here, have this format that may or may not make it" it's "Here's the standard for today, and if you want, you can get the format that wins once the smoke clears". Of course it still costs extra, but at least you're guaranteed a format that won't get left behind.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't get why they don't just have one thing...isn't it better to combine together to make loads of money then to be a party pooper for the other guy? I mean come on why can't we all just get along?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't get why they don't just have one thing...isn't it better to combine together to make loads of money then to be a party pooper for the other guy? I mean come on why can't we all just get along?
Not in this competitive business world :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom