Diagnosing a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
I built a computer for my friend, and I assembled it correctly. Specs are below if you care to know. Anyway, while booting the mobo speaker essentially goes insane, beeping high, to low, it's a very politoned speaker, so it doesn't really have a distinct BEEP BEEP to it, it almost sounds like an older cell phone ringtone. I tried using a single stick of ram twice, and got the same result (for 512x2). I concluded that it was unlikely that both ram sticks could be DOA. After some investigation online, most websites point towards this being a CPU problem, either the CPU is dead, overheating, or voltages aren't set correctly. Well I am able to get partially through an installation of Windows, before it freezing or restarting at a random point, which makes me think the CPU isn't dead. And also, when I check the bios, the CPU temperture is actually quite low (around 32-35 degrees Celcius). So I can't see it as a temperture problem. So the last thing I'm left with is a voltage problem. What can I do with my voltage settings. I've never messed with them, because I've never seen overclocking as a necessary practice (especially in recent years) so I have no experiance in this area. What voltage settings should I try changing?

Computer specifications:
AMD|A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K R - Retail
MB ABIT KN9 NF4ULTRA AM2 - Retail
MEM 512Mx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2G8001GK R - Retail
VGA EVGA 7950GT KO 512-P2-N637-AR R - Retail
COOLMAX CR-450B ATX 450W "140mm Fan" Power Supply - Retail

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I built a computer for my friend, and I assembled it correctly. Specs are below if you care to know. Anyway, while booting the mobo speaker essentially goes insane, beeping high, to low, it's a very politoned speaker, so it doesn't really have a distinct BEEP BEEP to it, it almost sounds like an older cell phone ringtone. I tried using a single stick of ram twice, and got the same result (for 512x2). I concluded that it was unlikely that both ram sticks could be DOA. After some investigation online, most websites point towards this being a CPU problem, either the CPU is dead, overheating, or voltages aren't set correctly. Well I am able to get partially through an installation of Windows, before it freezing or restarting at a random point, which makes me think the CPU isn't dead. And also, when I check the bios, the CPU temperture is actually quite low (around 32-35 degrees Celcius). So I can't see it as a temperture problem. So the last thing I'm left with is a voltage problem. What can I do with my voltage settings. I've never messed with them, because I've never seen overclocking as a necessary practice (especially in recent years) so I have no experiance in this area. What voltage settings should I try changing?

Computer specifications:
AMD|A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K R - Retail
MB ABIT KN9 NF4ULTRA AM2 - Retail
MEM 512Mx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2G8001GK R - Retail
VGA EVGA 7950GT KO 512-P2-N637-AR R - Retail
COOLMAX CR-450B ATX 450W "140mm Fan" Power Supply - Retail
Things I can think of:

Run memtest to see if the memory in question has errors through it, and if that's the case and it's reporting serious errors RMA the kit

Check the stock voltages of your processor and memory and adjust them accordingly if need be (just google details on the voltages. Seeing as you have a ddr2 800 kit in there you may reed to rasie the DRAM voltage, and ocz usually has a voltage extended warranty with some of their products). If everythnig is running at stock voltage and you still get the same issues, slightly adjust the voltage and see if the system becomes stable at these adjustments.

Best answers
Ok well I adjusted the voltage on the ram from 1.8v to 2.0v. 2.0 is the recommended/required according to Newegg. I feel retarded for not looking this up earlier. The Windows setup seems to be working thus far. I'll repost if something goes wrong.

Best answers
Thats just stupid.. shouldnt the Processor be set to run at 2.0v at stock? Its assanine to have to change the voltage settings manually.

Best answers
In general I would agree with you. And it's ram voltage, not processor. However I had a similair problem when I built my computer, I had to set all the timings and voltage settings manually. So I'm sort of used to it, but I forgot to take it into account this time.

Best answers
Oh, my bad... I thought it was Processor Voltage. But see, i built my PC, and i had to change nothing. So i just thought that all custom built PC's are like that.

Guess I was mistaken.

Best answers
I feel retarded for not looking this up earlier.
You shouldn't. It's an honest 'mistake'(?). I was a little taken aback that the default voltage setting (auto) was causing the issue.
Tassadar said:
2.0 is the recommended/required according to Newegg.
Newegg saves the day...? o_o

Anywho, problem solved, thread closed.

Oh, and Overlord, congratulations on winning(?) $50,000 AUD, although I'm still a little skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom