Desktop PC or Laptop Recommendations?

Best answers
I will be getting a new computer in a week (Thank You God) and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one on this board. I have $2,000 total, but i only want too spend $1,500. I heard brands likes alienware and sony viao was the best but im not sure if i even have enough for those. Anyway's can anyone here recommend me a good desktop computer in my price range that i want too spend, it dosen't have too come with everything including things like the monitor and ect but that would be nice, A laptop recommendation instead, would be fine as well.

SideNote: I Like too do alot of multitasking on my friends pc but couldn't do it much at all on mine.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want a good computer for a good price. I suggest building it. Unless you want a laptop. I guess it really depends on what you want. Do you want it for school? Do you want it for gaming? Etc. Personally I hate laptops. So here is my suggestion: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat15188&id=1112808029455
But that's just a comp I searched for. I say build it if you're going to get a desktop.

Best answers
Those two are at good prices, thankz for posting them you guys, i might get one of them. Although im leaning more towards the alienware, there making it sound pretty amazing, as if its the best out there. It's too bad it dosen't come with a monitor though and i don't exactly see where the buyable option is at either ^_^"".

And FP, what do you mean by Build one? Don't you have too have some type of experince in the Computer Engineering field or something too do that or is it easier then i thought? Also why do you hate laptops are they not the same as desktop computers except with mobility or do they break easily or something, what's the difference?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
Those two are at good prices, thankz for posting them you guys, i might get one of them. Although im leaning more towards the alienware, there making it sound pretty amazing, as if its the best out there. It's too bad it dosen't come with a monitor though and i don't exactly see where the buyable option is at either ^_^"".

And FP, what do you mean by Build one? Don't you have too have some type of experince in the Computer Engineering field or something too do that or is it easier then i thought? Also why do you hate laptops are they not the same as desktop computers except with mobility or do they break easily or something, what's the difference?
I've never really liked laptops, its just.... meh.

But, Building a computer doesnt require that much inguenity (however you spell it). It's not like you actually build the chip and video card, just buy seperate parts and stick it together. It's pretty easy, I mean, I did it :D. Basically this is how it goes:

Buy a PC:
All the parts: 800$
They build it for you: 500-1000$.

But building your own PC:
Parts: 800 dollars
Bulding it yourself: Priceless (I justhad to saythat lol)

But yeah, building your own PC is way cheaper, and its more effective, cause you can buy what YOU want, and make the ultimate PC.

Best answers
Oh, wow ^^ so if i wanted to build one then. Where would i start, i mean what all do i have too buy. Is there a guide or something on these type of things?

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

That should teach you all you need to know about building your own PC it isn't too difficult but its not too easy aswell so try and get an experienced friend to help you out with the more technical aspects. It will save you money definetly but itll take some time and effort.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All I'll tell you is don't buy an emachines PC. They're inexpensive for a reason.

If you're not confident in building a PC by yourself, have a tech-savvy friend help you. Building a PC from scratch is almost always the best way to go, you just have to have a good idea of what you're doing.

Best answers
DragonDude said:
All I'll tell you is don't buy an emachines PC. They're inexpensive for a reason.

If you're not confident in building a PC by yourself, have a tech-savvy friend help you. Building a PC from scratch is almost always the best way to go, you just have to have a good idea of what you're doing.
It's funny you should say that DD. I wish i knew this earlier because that's the exact kinda computer ive had since 2002. Also sadly, i don't have any tech-savvy friends. Most of my friends barely get on the computer's they do have, let alone know how to even copy and paste at times. ^_^ And Thank you for the Link .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, definitely build your own. And stay the hell away from Alienware. You end up buying a brand name. You can get a very nice computer for $1500 of parts. I just wish I had known what I know now before I bought a Dell.

Now, $280 later, I have something I would actually call a computer.

Best answers
Yeah, definitely build your own. And stay the hell away from Alienware. I just wish I had known what I know now before I bought a Dell.

Now, $280 later, I have something I would actually call a computer.
Well that makes things worst for me now. My second option was the alienware, but now that i should stay away from it, im kinda confused now.

I just got through reading everything in the link and it seems that was just a waste of time now. I told my dad was going too build one and he just laughed at me like i was stupid, i even told him i knew what too do and he tell's me i don't know what the hell im talking about. So now he's forcing me too buy one or not too spend any money at all and threatening to take it away from me. This is just messed up, i really wanted too try and build one. So now i guess im stuck with buying brand, i might have too go with the sony, only option left i guess.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im in the same boat, my home PC is dying on me and tbh it isnt worth the money to fix the part that is messed up.

ive been shopping around and smith talked me into building one instead, but i figure im just gonna settle for another emachines cuz the process of building one still scares me >_>. (and i AM the tech savvy person in my town). i currently own an emachines and like all of them it performrs well under what its specs should allow, BUT emachines are cheaper as well, you have to expect some bad things =/.

i was gonna get the newest emachines that has an athlon64 3400 and a pci-express videocard, it should run half life 2 just fine, (i hope)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just remember that no one says you have to build one. Only do it if you want to save yourself a lot of money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to put you Dad at ease, you could go with him to futureshop or somewhere and ask them for their help in building a computer (what youll need and such). Unless theyre all greedy *******s, they should help you. Youll save alot of money, but nobody said bought computers were evil... well, I do, but thats just me.

Best answers
Dell. www.dell.com Then just customize one to fit your needs. dell rules and you could get a pretty good one for 1.5k

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Getting all your parts + Builiding it yourself FTW!!!. It's what I do all the time, I don't see why people want to spend extra money for a oem pc that will give you crap onboard gfx.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kasey said:
Dell. www.dell.com Then just customize one to fit your needs. dell rules and you could get a pretty good one for 1.5k
They shipped me a dead CD-RW with my last (current) computer. Damn good thing it was on warranty, but their tech support is slow, hard to reach, and ethnic (just means theyre hard to understand). When I revieved the new part I tried to call them, but after 10 minutes on hold I hung up and did the replacement myself.

Other than that, as far as OEMs go, Dells still a good bet though. My only complaint is that they dont sell AMD.

Wow, $300 to upgrade from a 6800 to a x850xt. Yeah... see thats why we tell you to build it yourself.

Best answers
you said earlier in the thread that you would like to do some multitaking, if thats the case then i would get a processor with hyperthreading (intel) or hypertransport (AMD) technology. or you could always go dual core, or even dual core with hyperthreading or hypertransport if you want to really multi-task. Some nice dual core processors are the Pentium D or the Athlon 64 X2 processor and both aren't super expensive.

I have a question for you, what do you really want to do with your new pc,
I know you want to multitask but do you do stuff that uses heavy graphics power like video editing or gaming? what do you need it to do???

Best answers
frsrblch said:
They shipped me a dead CD-RW with my last (current) computer. Damn good thing it was on warranty, but their tech support is slow, hard to reach, and ethnic (just means theyre hard to understand). When I revieved the new part I tried to call them, but after 10 minutes on hold I hung up and did the replacement myself.

Other than that, as far as OEMs go, Dells still a good bet though. My only complaint is that they dont sell AMD.

Wow, $300 to upgrade from a 6800 to a x850xt. Yeah... see thats why we tell you to build it yourself.
About the cd thing. You could just create a restore cd yourself. You just creat a restore point and click save to cd.

Best answers
i was gonna get the newest emachines that has an athlon64 3400 and a pci-express videocard, it should run half life 2 just fine, (i hope)
How much does the newest emachines cause?

If you want to put you Dad at ease, you could go with him to futureshop or somewhere and ask them for their help in building a computer (what youll need and such). Unless theyre all greedy *******s, they should help you.
I never heard of a place called futureshop. And i wouldn't know any other places too go to ask for help. The only place that actually relates somewhat too computer building around here is a place called " Computer and Repair Upgrade - You Buy it We Build It " and they said they simply couldn't help me but told me that i could buy a book on it for $20.

I ask too speak too the manager and got the same answer, but he suggested that i could take a class about it though too learn more about building one as well as other things, but my dad spoke for me and just told him i wasn't interested, and now he's pretty much stuck on his decision, so either way i guess im out of luck when it comes too building one unless i bug him too death for a few weeks which i really don't have time for right now.

I have a question for you, what do you really want to do with your new pc,
I know you want to multitask but do you do stuff that uses heavy graphics power like video editing or gaming? what do you need it to do???
Yes, I love to do alot of video editing which is hard for me too do on my current pc and i also wouldn't mind being able to play all the latest pc games either, but on my current pc, that also just wasn't possible at all so i do want a powerful pc that can handel all of those aspects pretty well which includes gaming, video editing, and multitasking without me getting constant errors about low diskspace, memory/ram issues, outdated video card and ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom