Definitions

Best answers
I was asked to find out what most people think the meanings of these two phrases are:

1.Quantum Leap
2.Theory

A group I work with want to see how far most people's definitions are from the real scientific meaning.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, besides Quantum Leap being an 80's television show starring Scott Bakula, I believe a Quantum Leap, roughly, is transcending some amount of time by arriving at some other point in time that would not normally be accessible to you....that's if I follow the definition the 80's show set up.

As for theory, I believe that it is a set of somewhat proven hypothesis that is not quite a scientific law, but is more certain than a regular hypothesis.

That's just my guess, and my guesses aren't good after school on a Friday ;)

Best answers
You're correct about the definition of a theory, I didn't expect somebody to get it that quick.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
quantum leap is usualy used to say something is going to an abrupt leap forward

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
quantum leap is a leap of quantums!!
theory is some funky boys name.

yep yep.
(no im not serious)

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lets see, to elaborate on Majin's definition of a theory:
A theory is pretty much accepted as common fact. It hasn't been proven to work in all situations, but it hasn't been disproven either.

And I remember the Quantum Leap show. I would think it more of a dimensional than time skip though...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A theory is a scientific hypothesis that has stood up time and time again to testing.

It's annoying to me when people say "I have a theory," when it's just an untested hypothesis.

Best answers
That definintion for quantum leap is wrong. The meaning of a quantum leap is practically the exact oppisite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom