Default Maps (And Some Custom 1's)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF_Island is my least favorite map on ESF (Reasons Below) -- Don't get me wrong Stryker, I respect your skills as a mapper but ESF_Island lags & isn't scaled to the models.

The reason I get lag is due to my slow ass CPU speed (p2mx 350mhz! w00t -- Everything else is good 256mb ram, 46gb hd, cable internet, geforce 2 mx 440 32mb).

I have been thinking (that's dangerous!) & since alot...or all of the default and custom maps by DJ Ready really lag on my comp (and other people who have systems that are 450-600mhz but of course its not all mhz dependent). Did you do with the maps the same thing you did with the models, make then resize?

hmmm....I think they were resized, becuase I've noticed sometimes when I fall onto a slope of a cliff or something i'll get stuck on it and have to fly off. (Example: The cyllindrical cliff in ESF_Cell_Day/_Night, fly over the part that begins to slope out, toggle flying off.)

Also, when I resized some stuff on my map, the polygon count went up ALOT.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No matter if the maps were resized or not, please tweak the maps with null brushes, bigger texture scaling, etc... to reduce polygons and r_speeds. The majority of people playing Half-Life don't have high-end PCs and besides even the high-end PC users should be able to get the least lag (system/internet) possible to get the most out of the game.

And if you map makers are to lazy or to busy to bother "tweaking" your maps, I'll do it for you. I'm obsessed with tweaking stuff to get the best performance possible from stuff, so I don't mind doing it.

I don't wanna sound like I'm superior or anything when it comes to map making, because I'm definatly not (except to n00bs maybe).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
first ... there is no GF2 MX 440 ;) (2MX400 or 4MX440)

I don't think we need to scale down ...
it's because you see the whole world ... you're seeing panorama ...
the only thing i can say, is ... don't play this map

all maps are best compiled ...that's why you can play these huge maps ... else you would have a couple fps ...
sry ... but there's no other opinion in my sight ;(

good luck .. cya

Best answers
The map does indeed lag too much. The other maps of ESF are fine though and the house in that level looks like a...... well it speaks for itself. :)

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
well .. the halflife engine is just not build for huge outside areas ... i even never thought that its possible to make such big and good looking maps with hl untill i played esf b1 and started my snakeway map ...
But back to the main topic... i would say that 90% of all decent gamers have a comp with at least a gf2 and more then 1GHz
If your a mapper, you have to decide if you want a good looking huge map which brings the hl engine to its ends (wrong spelled eh?) or make a not so good looking, maybe smaller map that runs on a slower pc, too ... and since nearly every esf map is designed for "better" computers, the fan mappers should follow this values, becouse players with slow comps wont play esf long with laggy maps. So you can be sure that more players play on your map(s). and btw... an 1ghz pc is not high-end nowadays ...
and im also sure that hl and its mods is not the only game that these ppl play ... so why should i reduce the level of detail of my maps just for a few players with really slow pcs? the just need a better comp (and not only for esf...)
and all the maps run even lagless on my good old p3 800 eb / gf4mx440 / 384mb sdram...

Best answers
Originally posted by [-=S2k=-]DJ-R

and all the maps run even lagless on my good old p3 800 eb / gf4mx440 / 384mb sdram...
They run fine on my 700 Mhz Gf2

Best answers
once again...I can but agree with DJ!
btw...a AMD Athlon 2000+ XP with a GeForce 4 MX 4200...thats what I call a high-end pc! :rolleyes:

Best answers
im close to that:p i have a pentium4 2.0Ghz and a geforce4 ti 4200.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom