Dedicated Steam Server on 1 comp = Can't log in to play on another?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a good steam question for you server gurus.

I own two computers. I have steam and ESF in on the both of them. Normally, on WON, I would run the dedicated server off of my older computer (which has all ports forwarded and worked fine). I would then play from my other computer.

My question isn't anything that's been asked before. This one is probably even stupider.

I tried to do the same thing with Steam's Dedicated Server on the other computer (the installs of Half-Life are from the same copy, but the Server computer has always been used only for serving and lans).

Running a Steam dedicated server on my other computer forces me to log into steam now. That wouldn't be so bad, except that...now it won't let me onto steam on the other computer used for PLAYING. The reason being, it says my SteamID is already in use, which obviously it is.

My question is really simple. Do I have to go buy another ****ing copy of Half-Life if I ever want to have a dedicated server again, or is there a way I can do it without Steam being a llamasaurus about it? I only have one Steam account and one cd key. Personally I think that is very lame if I need to be logged in to steam to run the dedicated server, and thus cannot play.

I mean, obviously not all the dedicated server hosts sacrifice the ability to play for the server hosting capability...and obviously, I don't know anyone who would go out and buy another copy of the same game just for that purpose. So what gives?

There HAS to be a way to run a dedicated server without screwing up my own ability to play...right?

EDIT: for the record, I haven't yet tried the ESF 1.2 Dedicated Server for this. The normal Half-Life one, and all mods it supports, however, does the same thing. I can't go into my steam account from the play computer, because the serve computer has to use my steam account to launch the server. Any help or suggestions/theories are greatly appreciated!

Og'

Best answers
Um.... someone said that they used a fake version of steam that requierd no cd key.. was only yesterday.. um... I cant remember name.. or the thread... but if ya get that youc an sue that for server and just play with other compa dn real steam..

Best answers
Im no server "guru" but if theres no other way just download a cd key. Sure it might be illegal, but they probably won't catch you, and even if they do they are all a bunch of stupid ****heads for making it difficult enough to drive you to get the key.

Best answers
You don't need a CD key to host a dedicated server. All you will have to do is create another Steam account just for the server and use your other Steam account to play esf with. I havnt tried doing this on Windows but successfully did it on Linux.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Valve also released the lan client which will let you play lan games without being online (connecting to steam).

Best answers
I have sort of the same problem I have a dedicated server setup on a computer on my network that connects to the net the server works fine people can see it on the list join etc. But! when i try to see the server on the server list in steam it doesn't come up no problem i will just have to add the server ip to my fav 82.34.112.167:27025 i add my server ip and i get <server not responding> and i can join. Any ideas? my thread got deleted on the steam forums.

Best answers
Add the local IP of your server. For example to join my server on my lan I have to add 192.168.0.4 to my favourites in Steam. You can't use your Internet (WAN) ip on your network.

Best answers
What so add the ip of the computer the server is running on ok i will try it.

*Update*

Tried that and it works thanks alot.

Best answers
Another thing you could do is create a dedicated server on your comp and then on the same comp play ESF in your server. And yes, you can do it. Steam lets you do it, unlike WON which didn't let you play from the same comp.

Best answers
Its simple. Go to the computer you want to put the dedicated server on. Look for HLDS on google.com or any other search engine. Find a website that allows you to download Half Life Dedicated Server and do so. Once you do that follow the instructions to set up an account and update your Server (if you can't find something on this just reply and I'll give you a step by step). Once you do this, copy and past (or cut) your ESF directory into your HLDS file (corresponding with the directories for your original ESF folder). After you do this, create a shortcut to your desktop and right click on it and click on properities. After you do that, go into the command line and put in the following parameters:

-console -game GAME +port PORT +hostname "SERVER NAME" +map MAP +maxplayers MAXPLAYERS

After you do this, click apply then ok. Then double click on your shortcut and it should stop up the server. Go to the other computer with your steam on and join the server.

Don't forget:
If it still says someone is using your steam ID:
1. Make sure you exited it out steam on the computer which has your dedicated server.
2. Exit and log out of steam (on the computer you with to play on) then relogin.

P.S If you can't find HLDS, try searching for HLDSupdatetool.exe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom